Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2012, 13:35   #1

Boat: Prout Event 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Aussie_Sequoia
Onboard Weather Stations

Hi all,

Does anyone use a small LCD display weather station with remote sensor such as people use in their homes? I've been looking at many but haven't turned up any that say 'marine' specifically (and it would tipple the price anyway) so if you did use a home version did it hold up in the salt air?

I'm looking for inside/outside temp and humidity and baro pressure. It would be really cool if it had a sensor I could drop into the water as well (which is why I was looking for a marine version).

Any recommendations that won't break the bank?

Cheers.
Aussie_Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 13:48   #2

Boat: OEM, proportional
Re: Onboard Weather Stations

Try a web search for Brunton weather stations, they're portable though. On my list of shiny gear to get.

Or just get an el cheapo, mount the sensor somewhere sheltered, and write "marine" on it with indelible marker pen.
Old 31-08-2012, 13:50   #3

I taught on a boat for a few years that had a LaCrosse weather station. I liked it enough I bought one for home. It stood up well on the boat.

The display includes

- temperature inside and out
- relative humidity inside and out
- barometric pressure with a 24 or 36 hour history
- clock that synced with an atomic clock each night

It is not a nautical looking as the round brass ones, but it is much more functional.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 14:03   #4

Boat: sold our IP, now motoring along on the dark side in a Heritage East Sundeck 36

We have one onboard. It has an outdoor sensor that I mounted to the underside of our cockpit table. It's not submersible though. The main display is a nice size, very unobtrusive (only about 3/8" thick) and mounts on a bulkhead/cabinet or can use a desk mount. It displays inside and outside temp and humidity as well as barometric pressure (with history) and has an atomic clock. We're quite pleased with it.

$44 shipped from Amazon: Amazon.com: Meade TE636W Slim Line Personal Weather Station with Atomic Clock: Home & Kitchen
Old 31-08-2012, 14:05   #5

Boat: Outremer 50S

We had an Oregon Scientific unit on board for several years. Seemed to work fine. Doesn't look like they have the exact model anymore, but something like this:

Oregon Scientific

Seemed like the barometric pressure was closer to the real thing than the "marine" barometer I had.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 14:15   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

We had a LaCrosse one for 14yrs on the boat with no problems. We recently had to replace it (lightning strike took out the sensors) and replaced it with another newer model LaCrosse.

We loved the old one, but have had problems with the new one and with LaCrosse customer support. The new one has less functionality than the old one, but cost more (they no longer make our old one).

If I had to buy again, I would go with Davis or another brand.

We do find the weather station very useful - if just to know how much rain we got overnight or what the windspeed is without getting up and turning on the nav instruments.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weather