Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2015, 09:07   #16

Boat: Spirit 28
Re: On board Wifi Router Considerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretto55 View Post
Get a house in the 'Burbs.

Marginal sailing performance.
Rusty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 10:42   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty123 View Post
I should mention: the primary reason that I'm looking into all this is so I can access streaming TV with my iPad (Amazon Prime and Netflix) as well as network TV via my Tivo Stream, without burning through my 4G plan.
Well, so much for sailing ... ;-)

I found nearly any router capable of feeding multiple streams/data thru - just make sure your other equipment can define all required parameters and work in client mode. Doing it the other way round may be possible too but should not be taken for granted - look up your Garmin manuals for that.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 10:56   #18

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by W32PAMELA View Post
The IslandTime Garmin config will work for the 4 digit Garmin models that have an ethernet output on them but not the Garmin models that only have a wireless output.
When ethernet-incapable equipment (e.g. that Gremlin MFD thing) is in AP mode (only) then a wireless extender can be used to forward this signal AND to insert ethernet signal into the same IP (different port). Some wifi extenders have ethernet port so then it would be just a simple bridging action. I am not sure about the DHCP settings though.

I will make a test later and see if this can be done as above.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 16:26   #19

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Just use the personal hotspot on your existing iPad, then you won't need a router.
Nice thing about a separate router though is that its not dependent on your personal device. Both cruising, and running charters, I find it handy to have guests be able to attach using a separate device like a router or MiFi device.

I sometimes set up a hotspot using my phone, but if I leave the boat (or wherever) with my phone then no one has Internet access. And my router performs better than my phone and has more configuration options.

We use a mini-router by TPLINK. Very compact, full featured, and powers off 5V from a USB adaptor which is connected to 12V.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 17:32   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Nice thing about a separate router though is that its not dependent on your personal device. Both cruising, and running charters, I find it handy to have guests be able to attach using a separate device like a router or MiFi device.

I sometimes set up a hotspot using my phone, but if I leave the boat (or wherever) with my phone then no one has Internet access. And my router performs better than my phone and has more configuration options.

We use a mini-router by TPLINK. Very compact, full featured, and powers off 5V from a USB adaptor which is connected to 12V.

I emailed Bob at Island Time PC, and he told me that the Garmin configuration mentioned on his site is for Garmin MFDs which don't have built in wifi, which my 741xs does, so that feature would not be useful to me.

Based on the Amazon reviews, the Mikrotik router that Island Time sells is a real bear to configure unless you are a networking guru, which I am not.

So I've also been looking at the TP-LINK routers, which appear to be easy to setup, high performing, and very compact.

Some of their models claim compatibility with 3g/4g USB modems, so that's another plus when out of wifi range. Of course that requires the purchase of a USB modem and data plan ($10 per month to add to my phone plan).
Old 02-08-2015, 04:04   #21

Boat: Lagoon 380 #241

If you are looking at wifi router with 3G/4G ... Take a look at the Dovado range. I've had a few TPlinks. Now use a Dovado Pro with a 4G USB modem hooked to an good external antenna mounted on the pushpit. The Dovado is 12 volt so it is hard wired to the switch panel.

Because it has multiple Ethernet ports we can also add non wifi devices to the network to share. For example the Morningstar Tristar solar controller.

Very happy with this setup.

Dave.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Seabreeze, Lagoon 380 #241
Innisfail, North Queensland, Australia ... Cruising the waters of the Great Barrier Reef
www.sea-breeze.com.au
gspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:02   #22

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:

So I've also been looking at the TP-LINK routers, which appear to be easy to setup, high performing, and very compact.

Some of their models claim compatibility with 3g/4g USB modems, so that's another plus when out of wifi range. Of course that requires the purchase of a USB modem and data plan ($10 per month to add to my phone plan).
Yes, easy to set up, especially if you just use their default set up, but you can still get at the details if needed.

The model I have is geared toward 3G/4G use by Wifi devices and I have used it in multiple countries/modems/SIMs without issues.

The only complaint I have is its error recovery is not very robust. For example, if the 3G/4G connection drops it cycles back to square one and starts identifying the modem all over again which prolongs the process. I had a CradlePoint in the past which had much better error detection and recovery which was configurable even. It recovered very quickly from intermittent network errors/performance issues.

As mentioned in another post, consider whether you will have a need to connect cabled devices. The TPLink mini-router has only one Ethernet port.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 13:14   #23

Other than (possibly) a MFD, what sort of marine devices (ie, not internet/media devices) would one connect to a router via ethernet, as opposed to an N2K network?
Old 03-08-2015, 14:48   #24

Boat: Lagoon 380 #241

Quote:
Other than (possibly) a MFD, what sort of marine devices (ie, not internet/media devices) would one connect to a router via ethernet, as opposed to an N2K network?
Not really a needed marine device, but as said previously, we have our Tristar MPPT solar controller attached which allows real time monitoring of solar output & historical records of performance & usage. All available via a web browser via wifi on laptops & iPad.

In our case, as we continue to work our business onboard, we have a NAS (network attached storage device) attached as a file server & backup.

So no, for most boats, there is probably no need for multiple ethernet ports.

Dave
Seabreeze, Lagoon 380 #241
Innisfail, North Queensland, Australia ... Cruising the waters of the Great Barrier Reef
www.sea-breeze.com.au
gspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 15:30   #25

I forgot that you had mentioned the MPPT controller. Come to think of it, I've been seeing more and more consumer level devices with the ability to view historical data (common in commercial applications), so that aspect may expand in the future.

Although it would also seem likely that marine oriented devices would utilize a N2k network for this, instead of ethernet. I imagine there are several ways to connect a N2k network to ethernet, which would require at least one port.

Then there is the whole "internet of things" world. I have a Smartthings hub in my house, and can see lots of application for that on a boat, particularly in a nearshore, always connected environment.
Old 03-08-2015, 18:54   #26
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 #676

Quote:

Based on the Amazon reviews, the Mikrotik router that Island Time sells is a real bear to configure unless you are a networking guru, which I am not.
When you buy it from IslandTime it is configured for you and you have phone or email support from IslandTime.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:28   #27

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Boosting Wi-Fi is pointless
Wi-Fi works on frequencies not protected by interferences, so emission power is legally limited

Boosting up sensitivity and signal, one way only, is of no use.

A bi-directional system would cost like your boat..
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 15:39   #28

On board Wifi Router Considerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post

Wi-Fi works on frequencies not protected by interferences, so emission power is legally limited

I guess all those thousands of people who have bought them will be really mad when they find out.
Old 10-08-2015, 16:31   #29

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post

You do understand that antenna gain works both ways - receive as well as transmit, right?

And that commercial AP's are also using this, or similar, equipment?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 16:52   #30

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
I guess all those thousands of people who have bought them will be really mad when they find out.
I have no idea if what he says is right but I have bought 2 different units recommended by those in the know here on the forum and neither have been worth much.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
route, wifi