Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2007, 13:52   #1
Registered User
 
Raven's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lake Champlain, Vermont
Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 - "Raven"
Posts: 213
Images: 6
Need Brushes for Raymarine Type 1 Linear Drive (Autohelm)

I contacted Raymarine via their online "customer support" page to find out how I can go about getting replacement brushes for my Type 1 linear drive.

Here is the question I posed for them:
Customer (Kevin Rose) 04/07/2007 05:38 PM I am looking for replacement brushes for my Type 1 Linear Drive. Please tell me what information is needed to obtain replacements, as well as contact information for placing the order. Thank you.

Here is the response I received today:
Response (George Martin) 04/09/2007 03:11 PM Sorry but we do not stock brushes for these motors, you may be able to take the brushes you have to a DC motor rebuild shop and have them cross referenced and replaced but you will not get them from us.

Does this seem a bit odd? Given that you can send in your old drive to have it "reconditioned," (to the tune of $700), how can that be done if they do not stock brushes? Do they simply throw out the motor if the brushes (which are removeable and replaceable) go bad?

Well, I've already determined that it will be fruitless to try and get anything more from Raymarine. Do any of you know of a source for brushes? Any leads on where to begin the search?
__________________

__________________
Kevin Rose
Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 - Raven
Burlington, Vermont
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 15:03   #2
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,577
Images: 240
Appliance repair shop?
__________________

__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 15:27   #3
Senior Cruiser
 
DeepFrz's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Boat: None at this time
Posts: 7,930
Any shop that repairs electric motors will have a variety of brushes and if not in stock would probably order them in for you.
__________________
The Blue Dot Campaign. This Changes Everything.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 16:22   #4
Registered User
 
Wahoo Sails's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marathon, Florida
Boat: Cape Dory 28, "Night Wind"
Posts: 353
Images: 16
If you can't find exactly what you need, take something a little larger & take a file to it. Once had a gentelman tell me that he couldn't get his 1915 Dodge started because no parts were available for the starter ... yeah, had it running the next day.
Bob
__________________
Wahoo Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 16:52   #5
Registered User
 
Raven's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lake Champlain, Vermont
Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 - "Raven"
Posts: 213
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoo Sails
If you can't find exactly what you need, take something a little larger & take a file to it. Once had a gentelman tell me that he couldn't get his 1915 Dodge started because no parts were available for the starter ... yeah, had it running the next day.
Bob
Bob,

Yes, if all else fails, I may very well end up manufacturing a set. It's not as if they're a particularly high tech item. A chunk of carbon, a spring, a wire through the middle . . .

I think the thing that irritates me more and more these days is how we've evolved into such a throw away culture. Having grown up in a Vermont dairy farming community, we were taught to fix things, jury rig things, or otherwise make do. Nowadays it's hard to find anything under the name "repair shop." Let's see how I do finding one for electric motors that might have a similar set of brushes to those in the Raymarine drive.
__________________
Kevin Rose
Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 - Raven
Burlington, Vermont
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 16:56   #6
Senior Cruiser
 
senormechanico's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2003
Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Posts: 5,826
Another possibility, a sewing machine repair shop.
Some newer sewing machine motors are DC, at least Berninas.
Do you have the remains of the old ones in hand? If so, take them along.
You shouldn't have any problem finding replacements.
Another thought and don't laugh, try Ace Hardware. Look in those little drawers.

Steve B.
(Bernina tech)
__________________
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 17:04   #7
Senior Cruiser
 
DeepFrz's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Boat: None at this time
Posts: 7,930
You may have to run up to Montreal and try Canadian Tire...eh...
__________________
The Blue Dot Campaign. This Changes Everything.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 12:56   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SF Bay area
Boat: Pearson 10M
Posts: 48
Raven,

Just curious if you got your drive fixed....
__________________
msoneji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 12:47   #9
Registered User
 
lateral's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NZ
Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.
Posts: 703
Re: Need Brushes for Raymarine Type 1 Linear Drive (Autohelm)

Bump!
Brushes for type 1.....source anyone?
__________________
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 12:31   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Boat: 1990 Oyster 55
Posts: 287
Re: Need Brushes for Raymarine Type 1 Linear Drive (Autohelm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
I contacted Raymarine via their online "customer support" page to find out how I can go about getting replacement brushes for my Type 1 linear drive.

Here is the question I posed for them:
Customer (Kevin Rose) 04/07/2007 05:38 PM I am looking for replacement brushes for my Type 1 Linear Drive. Please tell me what information is needed to obtain replacements, as well as contact information for placing the order. Thank you.

Here is the response I received today:
Response (George Martin) 04/09/2007 03:11 PM Sorry but we do not stock brushes for these motors, you may be able to take the brushes you have to a DC motor rebuild shop and have them cross referenced and replaced but you will not get them from us.

Does this seem a bit odd? Given that you can send in your old drive to have it "reconditioned," (to the tune of $700), how can that be done if they do not stock brushes? Do they simply throw out the motor if the brushes (which are removeable and replaceable) go bad?

Well, I've already determined that it will be fruitless to try and get anything more from Raymarine. Do any of you know of a source for brushes? Any leads on where to begin the search?
The motor itself is a replaceable unit from Raymarine for about half of the cost of a linear drive rebuild.

I have worked with several of these going back to an electric motor shop, they work upon return but often have a rather short life. The cost of the rebuild at the shop is often about 1/3 of the cost of the motor.

I have given up rebuilding the motors (I have rebuilt them myself with much the same result) and just consider the motor itself to be an "expendable", for serious cruising on vessels which the weather helm is somewhat large they last about 18 - 24 months of continuous cruising.

For vessels with light helm or with care taken to tune it up carefully all of the time they last several times longer.

Type 2 units seem to hold up better than Type 1 units but that might just be that they are effectively more lightly loaded.

Just my observation.

Interestingly, the 24V units seem to hold up better for some reason.
__________________
botanybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 12:49   #11
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: Need Brushes for Raymarine Type 1 Linear Drive (Autohelm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by botanybay View Post
just consider the motor itself to be an "expendable", for serious cruising on vessels which the weather helm is somewhat large they last about 18 - 24 months of continuous cruising.
That is very much shorter operating life than anyone I know has experienced with their units. In fact, I haven't met a single person yet who has had failures in that short of time.

Did you mean 18-24 months of continuous operation? That would be ~15,000hrs, which seems more reasonable.

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 13:01   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Boat: 1990 Oyster 55
Posts: 287
Re: Need Brushes for Raymarine Type 1 Linear Drive (Autohelm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
That is very much shorter operating life than anyone I know has experienced with their units. In fact, I haven't met a single person yet who has had failures in that short of time.

Did you mean 18-24 months of continuous operation? That would be ~15,000hrs, which seems more reasonable.

Mark
I did in fact mean 18-24 months of continuous cruising where the boat is moving much of the time AND excessive standing weather helm.

The issue is generally commutator getting choked up with carbon dust and then using up the brushes quickly.

Now, by 24 months of cruising, if the boat is in use as a moving every few days and longer passages for 3 months out of the year then I would expect something like 8 years of use for the vessel with excessive standing weather helm.

Use on a vessel with reasonable weather helm is MUCH longer life of the electric motor.

Talking with several of the offshore, round the world type racers, they also find that this motor is somewhat consumable.

Just the sample set I have, probably 10 different boats, 2 of them mine (no issues), sailing with some of them and seeing how the boat is setup.

In my case, as I user of a Monitor self steering vane, I tend to balance the boat pretty closely and don't see the issue.

Not to dissagree, just my observations.
__________________

__________________
botanybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
autohelm, brushes, linear drive, raymarine

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nigel Caulder on Hoses GordMay Construction, Maintenance & Refit 19 30-06-2015 13:14
Can an autohelm linear drive unit be user cleaned? Raven Marine Electronics 24 25-06-2008 06:18
Conversion factors Canibul Off Topic Forum 1 01-10-2006 21:04



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:48.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.