Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 10:11   #16
jzk

Re: Navionics Charts for the Android

Also take note of the tide features. They are pretty cool also.
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:19   #17

Send a message via AIM to JustinandKaitly Send a message via Skype™ to JustinandKaitly

I will we are going to doing Running about in our Run-a-bout so this will be fun to use. Especially in Navigating to our friends house which we have never done by water before. :-D Live is an adventure!
JustinandKaitly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:33   #18

Boat: FP Athena 38 - Breakaway

+1 on navonics rocking. I had it on my driod, and now on my evo. I also have the same maps on my chartplotter. the maps are IDENTICLE. On the phones you will get a ton of info: speed, heading, tides, wind forecast, currents, a cool distance tool, everything that you can drill down into on the real navonics chrtplotter map, you can drill down into on the phone. The only thing you will not get is the higher level fuctions: waypoints, VMG, AIS, etc.

I would not use the phone as my only tool, but it is my primery becuae i can use it at the helm. So far in the 20 or so trips in and around the SF bay area it has been flawless.

one thing you should do thou is make sure you have extra batteries or a charging port at the helm. With the GPS and the screen on all the time, you have only about 3-7 hours of use time. I went on amazon and bought 4 extra batteris really cheap.

Brian
mtnsapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:40   #19

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Just don't rely on Navionics if you go to the Bahamas. Many errors. They are aware of them but somehow are not interested in correcting them or licensing Explorer Chart data.
Old 10-08-2011, 18:58   #20

Boat: Fast 36.5

Hi,
I 've just bought a Toshiba Thrive 10.1 Android tablet and tried to download charts from Navionics market. It says is not approved for my device.
I'm dißapointed
How can I instal those?
Mestre
Mestre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 21:11   #21

Send a message via AIM to JustinandKaitly Send a message via Skype™ to JustinandKaitly

Mestre, it is not the device it is the version of Android you are running. I using it on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" which is running Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread. They most likely have not released the Honeycomb (Android 3.x.x) version yet the larger tablets tend to run this version as it was developed specifically and currently only for Tablets. Where as the Early generation 5" & 7" Tablets from Samsung, Dell, and such used what was available aka the standard smartphone version. In short just be a little patient and email (dont post negative reviews) them when they plan on releasing the version for Honeycomb. You might get lucky and get a free copy to evaluate for them. :-D
JustinandKaitly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:55   #22

Boat: Fast 36.5

I was disapointed...now I´m anxious. I´ll try to send a positive e.mail and see what happens.
Thanks,
Mestre
Mestre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 14:01   #23

I have contacted them about the att jetstream tablet, but they just give a canned response. It doesn't appear they have a big push to develop for android honeycomb devices. I think they offer more features on the ipad version too. I hope this changes in the near future.
fbickley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 19:58   #24

Boat: HR40

just found this on the navionics page:

"IMPORTANT: Navionics has certified the following Android devices with an OS of 1.6 or > and Honeycomb (3.0):
Acer Liquid, HTC Desire (Desire HD), HTC Dream, HTC Droid Eris, HTC Evo 4G, HTC Incredible, HTC Legend, HTC Tattoo, HTC touch 3g, HTC Wildfire, Lg Ally, Lg Optimus One, Motorola Defy, Motorola Droid, Motorola Droid II, Motorola Droid X, Motorola Xoom, Nexus One, Samsung Galaxy S, Samsung Galaxy Tablet, Samsung i5500 Corby, Samsung Vibrant, Xperia x10."

NAVIONICS: The Leader in Electronic Charts
Old 09-01-2012, 21:08   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik-lu View Post
just found this on the navionics page:

"IMPORTANT: Navionics has certified the following Android devices with an OS of 1.6 or > and Honeycomb (3.0):
Acer Liquid, HTC Desire (Desire HD), HTC Dream, HTC Droid Eris, HTC Evo 4G, HTC Incredible, HTC Legend, HTC Tattoo, HTC touch 3g, HTC Wildfire, Lg Ally, Lg Optimus One, Motorola Defy, Motorola Droid, Motorola Droid II, Motorola Droid X, Motorola Xoom, Nexus One, Samsung Galaxy S, Samsung Galaxy Tablet, Samsung i5500 Corby, Samsung Vibrant, Xperia x10."

NAVIONICS: The Leader in Electronic Charts
Woohoo! My Defy is certified. The ladies bought me an iPad for Xmas (my eldest daughter works for Apple). Can't do THIS with an iPad (yes, it is IN the fish tank):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	defy.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	35800  
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:51   #26

Boat: Yalta 16' Runabout

Hi anyone,, found my way here while mining for Navionics Classic Australian Charts info,,
have just installed replacement upgrade chartplotter for wheelchair friend & he gave me the removed greyscale Eagle FishElite 320 Sonar/GPS Combo BUT I not have the compatible Classic series Australia or Queensland & New South Wales Charts,, they very hard to get & too expensive for my budget, (according to the financial controller),, so is there any way to get this $12 download into a laptop & onto a SD card suitable for the Eagle?
OR,,
Anyone who has upgraded & can sell any of those I've listed?

Also,,
will later series Navionics or other charts work? ,
nev4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts, navionics