Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2005, 14:41   #1

Boat: Privilege 37
Multiple GPS readers

GPS connection to multiple radios. Has anyone played around with connecting a GPS to multiple readers aboard their boat? I have an SSB and VHF, both with DSC features that will send location information. I don't really want to buy individual receivers for each radio.

Thanks for any Info.

Keith
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2005, 14:50   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
My VHF is interfaced with my GPS . Horizon DSC VHF and Raymarine GPS. I have a chartplotter on my pedestal and no repeater at the chart table so when I go down below to plot a position I just take it off the VHF. Saved the cost of a repeater (or the requirement to copy it at the plotter and take it down below). I didn't wire it myself (it was all done at commissioning) but I understand that it's not too difficult.
Old 24-10-2005, 19:03   #3

GPS to Multiple Devices

Keith,

I made a "navigation bus" so I could connect autopilot and PC to the same GPS (Garmin). Used a small DC "rib insulated" connector with a couple of "jumpers" made by Blue Sea Co. I needed only three connections: (1) NMEA-in, (2) NMEA-out and (3) gound. Used standard ring terminals to make connections and everything works fine.
Old 25-10-2005, 03:46   #4

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
I did the same thing as Greg, using a small DC bus bar. I labeled it my NMEA Interface with a small diagram pasted next to it, since it looks a bit like the LA Freeway.

Moreover, if you upload WPs from a plotter into a GPS - or vice versa - you might find it handy to install a NMEA plug at the chart table.

On a related note, just about everyone I bump into plans to use a smaller handheld GPS if their fixed base unit fails...yet rarely do I find someone who's sorted out how the H/H unit will be powered, interfaced AND offer its antenna to a clear sky since some of these events must take place belowdecks while the antenna needs to be topside. Just something to mull on...

Jack
Old 25-10-2005, 04:33   #5

You can send the NMEA messages from one outlet to up to 4 other outlets without additional power to amplify the signal. There is a special unit desined to take the nmea message and amplify for a wider distribution if necessary.
Old 25-10-2005, 05:57   #6

I was most worried about signal degredation across the multiple readers. Sounds like the buss idea is the ticket.

I will attempt to use a portable initially. I can resolve the power issue, and I think I know how to resolve the antenna issue.

Thanks much guys!

Keith
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote