Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2015, 03:40   #16

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: MMSI for a new boat

Current FCC fees are $165+$50 = $215 in total. May be paid be credit card online at the end of the registration process.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:41   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Tell me if I'm crazy. I have applied for my FCC license online. The station license does require a registration or documentation number and therefore I am stuck. I do not have my documentation number as the backlog is months and I'm leaving for mexico in my new boat in a couple weeks. I do have a registration number for a small sailboat I recently made. Could I use that number in the field and correct it later? Right now, I will not be legal if I sail to Mexico without a station license. I can't get a station license without a registration or documentation number so I am stuck. I also have my documentation number from the boat I just sold. Could I use it?
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:07   #18
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzmeyer View Post
Tell me if I'm crazy. I have applied for my FCC license online. The station license does require a registration or documentation number and therefore I am stuck. I do not have my documentation number as the backlog is months and I'm leaving for mexico in my new boat in a couple weeks. I do have a registration number for a small sailboat I recently made. Could I use that number in the field and correct it later? Right now, I will not be legal if I sail to Mexico without a station license. I can't get a station license without a registration or documentation number so I am stuck. I also have my documentation number from the boat I just sold. Could I use it?
NO......I would not use any number except one assigned to your present boat. To do otherwise is fraudulent and could land you in a mess of trouble.

As noted before, you could use a state registration number if you have one. If not, then I'd suggest you telephone the FCC and explain the situation, asking if they could either give you a temporary Documentation number or speed up the issuance of a Documentation number for your boat so that you can obtain the needed FCC licenses.

If you're not comfortable telephoning the FCC ... for whatever reason ... I'd suggest you call Gary Jensen at Dockside Radio and see if he can help.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:22   #19

I called the FCC. They said "if you know your party's 10 digit extension enter it at anytime; otherwise push 1 for MMSI questions or 2 for other questions". Thanks for the referral though. I found the answer from the application online. You can actually apply without the number. You just can't put in "pending" which is what I did.

With repect to commiting fraud by putting in the wrong number, it is illegal to sail in Mexico without a station license so knowingly doing so might have also gotten me in trouble. US versus Mexican prison is the choice.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:25   #20

... also for information the USCG, which issues the documentation number, not the FCC was very helpful. they said "No. We don't issue temporary documentation numbers and everyone needs to register their radio - so drop dead on an expedited processing" - or something like that
Old 13-05-2015, 08:51   #21

My boat is to be documented, not registered, so I can't get state numbers. BUT, without the documentation number it let me apply - yesterday afternoon and I got both licenses (operator and station) along with MMSI this morning. I LOVE the FCC.
Old 13-05-2015, 08:56   #22
Eternal Member

Congratulations! And, yes, it's the FCC which issues station licenses and operator's permits.

However, if you're going to take your boat into another country, I think it would be a very good thing if that boat were registered/documented somewhere.

Customs officials will want to know.

Bill
Old 13-05-2015, 09:08   #23

yes, I agree it is the FCC that issues station and operator license (I now have them in my grubby little hands), but is the USGC that issues Documentation numbers. I mistakenly assumed when you said ask FCC for temporary Documentation numbers that you were referring to the Documentation number of the ship, which is on the application for the FCC license. My apologies. I did talk to the USCG about getting an expedited or temporary Documentation number and they did tell me it ain't going to happen. In order to take the boat into Mexico you need a Temporary Import Permit or the boat will be seized (140 boats in 2013 were) or more commonly now a marina will not let you in. To get a TIP you need either Documentation or State Registration OR a certification from an agent that they have been applied for. I am using an agent as I am taking what is referred to as "offshore delivery" and will immediately take the boat to Ensenada, Mexico. Like a Mexican fishing license, the station and operator licenses are required to have equipment on board - whether you use them or not. My concern is that in clearing into Mexico they can (but have never asked me) for copies of those licenses. The quick response by the FCC was very helpful,.

Thanks for you help!
Old 13-05-2015, 09:24   #24
Eternal Member

Quote:
yes, I agree it is the FCC that issues station and operator license (I now have them in my grubby little hands), but is the USGC that issues Documentation numbers. I mistakenly assumed when you said ask FCC for temporary Documentation numbers that you were referring to the Documentation number of the ship, which is on the application for the FCC license. My apologies. I did talk to the USCG about getting an expedited or temporary Documentation number and they did tell me it ain't going to happen. In order to take the boat into Mexico you need a Temporary Import Permit or the boat will be seized (140 boats in 2013 were) or more commonly now a marina will not let you in. To get a TIP you need either Documentation or State Registration OR a certification from an agent that they have been applied for. I am using an agent as I am taking what is referred to as "offshore delivery" and will immediately take the boat to Ensenada, Mexico. Like a Mexican fishing license, the station and operator licenses are required to have equipment on board - whether you use them or not. My concern is that in clearing into Mexico they can (but have never asked me) for copies of those licenses. The quick response by the FCC was very helpful,.

Thanks for you help!
You're very welcome. Sounds like you've got everything nailed. Hope you have a good trip.

Bill
Old 13-05-2015, 09:55   #25

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
My boat is to be documented, not registered, so I can't get state numbers. BUT, without the documentation number it let me apply - yesterday afternoon and I got both licenses (operator and station) along with MMSI this morning. I LOVE the FCC.
Glad you got your license. I think when you get the USCG number you can go back in and add it to the FCC form but probably not a big deal.

If you have an EPIRB be sure to get it properly registered to your MMSI on the NOAA registration site too. And when you get the USCG number add it to the NOAA database as well.

Nearly all boats with USCG documentation also have state registration in one of the 50 states. There have been reports of tax collectors in California going after boats with a California city as the USCG home port that are not also registered in California. I don't know about other states but guess the same problem could exist elsewhere.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 07:46   #26

Very good advice and thank you. Brought my EPIRB into work today to update registration. I have had documented boats in California for 40 years and have never registered with DMV and gotten stickers. I see very few California registration stickers on boats in the marina. Therefore, I'm guessing I'm not alone. I googled it and Boat US agreed with you which surprised me. However, below is a direct quote from the California DMV web site. Am I still missing something? "A documented vessel is registered and issued a marine certificate by the U.S. Coast Guard. It does not require DMV registration". I do know that I have to pay property tax in California and do know people who have been "nailed" for claiming to be an out of state boat.