Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2015, 16:08   #16

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: MMSI# After Selling Boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb C View Post
Bill, we purchased a boat in July 2015 and with the previous owners cooperation we were able to transfer the MMSI#'s to us. Our experience was the same as yours. The EPIRB was easy to transfer as well with updated information reflecting the new ownership.

Caleb
Hi Caleb,
Could you give a little more detail on the transfer? Forms, people, etc?
Old 09-11-2015, 17:46   #17

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Hi Caleb,
Could you give a little more detail on the transfer? Forms, people, etc?
Hi DelMarrey,

We used the online forms on BoatUS. Had an issue getting the original owner's request to cancel his MMSI account through the system. Finally worked it out with a conference phone call to Sandy Wills (BoatUS MMSI Admin). PM me for the phone number if you aren't able to achieve results via BoatUS website.
Old 09-11-2015, 18:34   #18

Quote:
Hi DelMarrey,

We used the online forms on BoatUS. Had an issue getting the original owner's request to cancel his MMSI account through the system. Finally worked it out with a conference phone call to Sandy Wills (BoatUS MMSI Admin). PM me for the phone number if you aren't able to achieve results via BoatUS website.
Sorry, but boatsUS is a subsidiary contractor. With a radio license both have to go thru the FCC. See my first post.
Old 09-11-2015, 18:45   #19

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Quote:
Sorry, but boatsUS is a subsidiary contractor. With a radio license both have to go thru the FCC. See my first post.
Original owner also had radio license. I'm not privy to what procedure he followed with the FCC, but know we still completed the transfer on August 3, 2015 via BoatUS and the information posted above. Sorry you're having trouble, but wish you the best.
Old 09-11-2015, 19:20   #20

Quote:
Original owner also had radio license. I'm not privy to what procedure he followed with the FCC, but know we still completed the transfer on August 3, 2015 via BoatUS and the information posted above. Sorry you're having trouble, but wish you the best.
I'll give BoatsUS a call tomorrow and see what they have to say. Maybe there is a bypass in the system somewhere.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:02   #21

Boat: Island Packet 35

Since the equipment on our new boat was programmable, it was far less painful to get a new MMSI and program it in. The only time that does not work is with AIS in the US where it must remain locked for obvious reasons. If you are keeping the AIS on the new boat, then the prior owner must remove it first.

Offshore Store - FCC License

We did find with Garmin the same thing for support for updates. The prior owner has to remove it from their profile on Garmin before we could add the equipment to ours.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:19   #22

Boat: Island Packet 35

Quote:
I'll give BoatsUS a call tomorrow and see what they have to say. Maybe there is a bypass in the system somewhere.
BoatUS and FCC MMSI registration are different. If you are just staying coastal in the US, BoatUS is OK, but if heading anywhere out of the country, you must have an FCC license.

FCC license is over $200. BoatUS is free, which is why so many people go that route, but have heard a couple horror stories where fined in other countries for not having a reciprocal and having to purchase a new AIS Transceiver since the BoatUS MMSI was not transferable to FCC in any way and the equipment could not be reprogrammed.

You can go through Sea Tow or BoatUS for an MMSI number if you are Exempt from a station license. Per the FCC, here are the guidelines.

Vessels that are not required by law to carry a radio and do not make international voyages or communications

are not required to obtain an individual license. See Amendment of Parts 80 and 87 of the Commission's Rules to

Permit Operation of Certain Domestic Ship and Aircraft Radio Stations Without Individual Licenses, Report and

Order, WT Docket No. 96-82, 11 FCC Rcd 14849 (1996).
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:59   #23

And this is what BoatUS had posted. Had to leave a message on their phone system. Still waiting for a call back.......
But it seems I'll have to go the cancellation route.

Quote:
What is the difference between obtaining an MMSI from the FCC and obtaining a number from BoatUS?

BoatUS MMSI numbers are coded for recreational vessels cruising in U.S. waters only not otherwise required to be licensed; the registrations are downloaded into the U.S. Coast Guard Search & Rescue Database (MISLE) only. FCC-assigned MMSI numbers are coded for International Waters and go into the International Search & Rescue Database (ITU). In order to be accepted into the ITU database, any FCC assigned MMSI must end in zero. This is why the BoatUS MMSI number cannot be re-used when later applying for an FCC License for international cruising.
Old 10-11-2015, 16:32   #24

This is the reply I got back from BoatUS.
First I have to cancel my ship radio license.

If the new owner is going international he/she can apply for a new license requesting my old MMSI#.

If the new owner is staying in USA waters, then the new own can file a transfer request form with BoatUS giving the old MMSI#.

I'll confirm again tomorrow.
Old 29-11-2015, 15:49   #25

Boat: Catalina 400 - 41 ft

BoatUS vs FCC ships station license

When you obtain a mmsi via BoatUS, it is not valid outside US waters.
you can cancell your mmsi
the next owner can obtain the mmsi and not have to change any settings in the dsc vhf settings

When you obtain a mmsi via the FCC you do it by obtaining a ships station license, which also includes international call letters. It can also incorporate EPIRB information.
When you sell your vessel, you can disassociate your name with the ships station license and the next owner can pick up that information and get the license issued in their name and not have to change any equipment settings.
ri4sail is offline   Reply With Quote