Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2015, 04:55   #1

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Missing Wind Data

We use a Simrad AP24 Autopilot with the Simrad AC42 Autopilot Computer, using SimNet to connect to our Garmin network via N2K. It works great - in the last 5 years we've covered almost 40,000 miles and it's steered 99% of the way. We primarily use the NAV function, where we create a route on our chart plotter and then instruct the autopilot to steer to that route. No problems whatsoever with that.

But one of the other features of the autopilot that we use from time to time is the Steer to Wind function and that has suddenly quit working. When we instruct the autopilot to Steer to the Wind, a dialog box appears on its screen that says: Missing Wind Data. Where could it be? The nav data is getting through, there are no toggles to turn on or off certain types of data and if one type of data (nav) is getting through, why would the system discriminate against another type? It all has to come across the N2K network and the wind data shows everywhere else on the network.

I know, I know, it's a sailboat and all of these electronics are frivolous and detract from the art of real sailing. Regardless, it's a feature that we'd like to have working and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:58   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Missing Wind Data

Go into the AP24 setup menu and check the data sources to make sure the wind instrument is selected.

The sequence to get there is menu>user setup>sources.

If the wind instrument is already selected, try doing an automatic source selection again.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:10   #3

there is a bunch of different simrad heads. don't know which one is which off hand. but some have the "intrs" button. that cycles though instraments. you should be able to see wind data all the time. not just when trying to activate the pilot. so a good place to good look. as posted above. each source needs to be manually selected ie take gps from com 1, take nav from com 1, take wind from com 2 etc. something could have gotten changed there.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:57   #4

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com

Okay, well, that's embarrassing. All I had to do was RFM. That solved the problem.

Thanks, guys. Sheesh, I feel pretty stupid.
Old 25-08-2017, 14:44   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
Okay, well, that's embarrassing. All I had to do was RFM. That solved the problem.

Thanks, guys. Sheesh, I feel pretty stupid.
This is an old thread, but can anyone tell me what "RFM" means (sorry for being thick-headed). I'm trying to find a way to get my AP24 to sail to the wind, but I cannot get it into the "sailboat" setting. It refuses to go there, apparently because I don't have a speed log attached (it seems to need speed to get out of the default setting, which is "outboard"). I cannot find a solution to this problem and Simrad tech support doesn't reply to questions (they were good about replying in past years, but times change...).

Thank you.
Lantau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 04:11   #6

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantau View Post
This is an old thread, but can anyone tell me what "RFM" means (sorry for being thick-headed). I'm trying to find a way to get my AP24 to sail to the wind, but I cannot get it into the "sailboat" setting. It refuses to go there, apparently because I don't have a speed log attached (it seems to need speed to get out of the default setting, which is "outboard"). I cannot find a solution to this problem and Simrad tech support doesn't reply to questions (they were good about replying in past years, but times change...).

Thank you.
Read the [expletive deleted] manual.
Old 26-08-2017, 15:40   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post
There are so many acronyms and abbreviations in all the manuals (at least fifty of them on my boat, including many by Simrad that use the same abbreviation for different things!).
Old 26-08-2017, 15:52   #8

Quote:
Fiveslide: I followed your advice. I found the manual online and did a search of the whole document. A search turns up nothing, and there's no reference to RFM in the index or the list of glossary. There's no "RFM" in the manual that I can see.

Do you have a better suggestion? Do you really have knowledge of this autopilot that might be helpful?

I am guessing that "RF" refers to "rudder feedback" but I could be wrong. There's no reference to, say, "rudder feedback mechanism" in the manual. RFM could mean anything. This is why I asked for help...
Old 26-08-2017, 19:01   #9

Quote:
Fiveslide: I followed your advice. I found the manual online and did a search of the whole document. A search turns up nothing, and there's no reference to RFM in the index or the list of glossary. There's no "RFM" in the manual that I can see.

Do you have a better suggestion? Do you really have knowledge of this autopilot that might be helpful?

I am guessing that "RF" refers to "rudder feedback" but I could be wrong. There's no reference to, say, "rudder feedback mechanism" in the manual. RFM could mean anything. This is why I asked for help...
I think RFM is an acronym for "read the [expletive deleted] manual" and actually has nothing to do with the operation of the autopilot. You asked what rfm was, I answered with my best guess. I do not have any knowledge of that autopilot, I'm sorry, I truly wish I could help.
Old 26-08-2017, 19:38   #10

Quote:
I think RFM is an acronym for "read the [expletive deleted] manual" and actually has nothing to do with the operation of the autopilot. You asked what rfm was, I answered with my best guess. I do not have any knowledge of that autopilot, I'm sorry, I truly wish I could help.
Ah, I see now. Yes, reading the manual is a good start. I spent countless hours at the manual for this autopilot during a recent five-week cruise. I learned quite a lot doing that, but I couldn't find a solution to my problem. It could be that I'm just thick (as suggested by not realizing what RFM meant!).
Old 27-08-2017, 04:32   #11

Quote:
It could be that I'm just thick (as suggested by not realizing what RFM meant!).
I had to google it the first time I saw it here. You are not alone.
Old 27-08-2017, 04:41   #12

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Also called RTFM kindly translated as read the "fine" manual. Rhymes with ducking
Old 03-09-2017, 19:30   #13

Quote:

Thank you.
To get the 'sail to wind' function, the autopilot must be configured, in the installation programming, for a sailboat. You do not need a speed log but, obviously, you do need the data from a wind direction sensor and the autopilot must be programmed to accept that data.

Good luck, fair winds and calm seas.
Old 03-09-2017, 21:01   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
To get the 'sail to wind' function, the autopilot must be configured, in the installation programming, for a sailboat. You do not need a speed log but, obviously, you do need the data from a wind direction sensor and the autopilot must be programmed to accept that data.

Good luck, fair winds and calm seas.
Thanks for the ideas. After much research and feedback from others, I think the problem lies in rudder feedback. This autopilot requires that for "sailbaot" functions. My boat does have rudder feedback, so I need to find out why it's not being used fully by the autopilot. As for wind, I installed an all-new system which the autopilot recognizes just fine -- but cannot use because it's locked in the default boat-type setting.

Tags
wind