Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2019, 15:12   #1

Boat: 1982 O'Day 37
Let's play a game... what is this transducer?

I have 3 2" thru-hulls in my boat in the same area, 1 depth sounder from Moor (I want to get rid of it), 1 speed-thru-water from Moor (I want to get rid of it) and this guy, which looks like a speed-thru-water but doesn't seem to be hooked up to anything.... I can't find anything on the internet about that part. Can someone help me?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190421_125533.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	415.8 KB
ID:	190695  
jholovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 15:18   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Let's play a game... what is this transducer?

AIRMAR

What do i win?
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 15:20   #3

lol yeah I got that far. But I can't find the model number on airmar's site, I've browsed all the similar-looking transducers and can't find it...

but I'm willing to offer the participation prize... a free picture of the inside of my hull! :P
Old 23-04-2019, 15:24   #4

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Google "airmar" and that number under the name. If it's ever been mentioned or listed on the Internet, google will find it. If not, google combinations with other wording on the transducer. If it cannot be found - get rid of it; it's ancient!!
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 15:26   #5

It seems to be ancient then... but I have some small hope that I can hook it into my NMEA network, unlike the Moor instruments. It'd be great if I didn't need to haul out my boat to replace a transducer to something a bit more modern.
Old 23-04-2019, 15:31   #6
rbk

Its not ancient its probably fairly new. you'll need the scanner to ID the transducer and it should tell you if the actual traducer is good or not and any other diagnostic capabilities of the installed transducer. Seems overkill for a transducer, don't know what the scanners worth but i bet you if you get a hold of them they will tell you of any tech's in your area that can scan it for you for a fee.
Old 23-04-2019, 15:33   #7
rbk

"Xducer ID® Benefits
Actual specifications for each transducer are measured, saved and available to the end user.
Automatic configuration of echosounder to transducer, enabling the echo- sounder to adapt to the transducer connected, providing an optimized system
Supplied data simplifies diagnosis, warranty and troubleshooting (transducer part number, housing style, serial number and date of manufacture)
Continuous monitoring of ceramic operating temperatures
Transducer profile information can be presented on the OEM echosounder display"

Sounds like it may be a benefit if you have multiple transducers as you have rather than just blindly replacing traducers.
Old 23-04-2019, 15:40   #8

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholovacs View Post
It seems to be ancient then... but I have some small hope that I can hook it into my NMEA network, unlike the Moor instruments. It'd be great if I didn't need to haul out my boat to replace a transducer to something a bit more modern.

AIRMAR
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 15:41   #9

That's almost all greek to me... I feel stupid. Do I need to buy the ID thing to figure out what it is?
Old 23-04-2019, 15:46   #10
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholovacs View Post
That's almost all greek to me... I feel stupid. Do I need to buy the ID thing to figure out what it is?
Its stores info of multiple transducers. You need a scanner to read the info, similar to a code reader for a vehicle. Call or email the company and see if they know of a marine service provider (most likely and electrician) that owns one and is willing to come to your boat with his scanner to read the ID. He can then tell you which transducer are working and what models you have.
Old 24-04-2019, 10:21   #11

Boat: S2 35C

How many leads/connections does it have and what are the colors? It's either Depth, Depth/Temp, Speed, or Speed/Temp. Raymarine makes a converter (ITC-5) that will translate your "WhatsIt" transducer to SeaTalk NG for any of these, plus Autopilot and Wind. I've attached their connection diagram that might help you figure out what you've got by their connection color coding.
If not, then when you do figure it out you can use one to get it talking SeaTalk NG/NMEA2000. They have an additional gizmo to add if you need NMEA0183.
duckpond49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
game