Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2010, 15:12   #1

Kenwood TS-50 SSB Set-Up on CT47 Ketch

So I am a new guy, X IBM computer repairman, x aerospace network guru, retired and setting up a CT 47 ketch for SSB. Inherited a kenwood TS-50 and a slightly rusted AT-50.

To my great suprise, when I powered the two units up by connecting them, and turning on the Transceiver, they seemed to be working.

Now my partner is an x miltary radio man, so between us we know plenty enough to get into trouble...

For starters, is this a reasonable unit to work with? The antenna is gone and the output side of the AT-50 coax jack needs to be redone, but should I fix this up and go at it?

I dont want to

Is there a listing of boats that are cruising, and land lubbers who talk to them. I have to move the 47 from California to Florida in 18 months..

The SSB would seem an imporatnt piece of equipment for this adventure
Don Braymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 17:06   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Don, the TS-50 is a classic Kenwood model. Check around on the ham forums and you'll see plenty of folks are still using them and loving them.

If the AT-50 is rusted, I'd start by checking all cables and connections for corrosion problems in case there are more hiding out of sight.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 17:12   #3

Thanks

It is mainly the case rusted and dripped debris inside, but the thing seems to work except the coax connector to the final antnna was also corrded away. I will repair and let you know.

I was going to use and aft stay for an antenna, do you think that will work, with the insulator and then protect the lower area with a stay guard thingee
Don Braymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 18:32   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
I think the AT50 is a tuner more suited to a balanced antenna than tuning for a backstay antenna. You might want to look at the SGC - 23x tuners. There is lots of info on the forum, search around a bit. Also there is the Maritime Mobile Forum.

http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=2456
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 19:12   #5

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I used the TS-50S and the AT50 antenna tuner all the way around the world. It was my back up SSB, and it never failed me. I also had another dedicated ICOM SSB for pactor communications.

My TS-50S still works fine.

I liked having 2 SSB radios because they were such an important part of our life when making passages offshore.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 15:50   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

DOn, I think the ARRL summed up boat antennas with words to the effect of "every one is different". Because the rigging on every boat is different, and the connections in the rigging different, and the3 condition of the rigging different, all you can do is closely examine what you have, what options you are willing to look into, and then experiment away. Do keep an eye on the SWR, try to make sure you've got good power, good counterpoise, etc. but when push comes to shove...you'll have to experiment.

Look around online, see what others have done, see what appeals to you and "make haste slowly".
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote