Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2018, 11:11   #1

is it possible to make an emergency call with an iridium extreme using a go sim card?

Hi,

I've got an Iridium Extreme handset that I'm using to get grib files during passages, and that I plan to use for emergency purposes in case of a disaster.

I'm considering buying an Iridium go, but I don't want to pay for two plans, and I can't see myself taking the iridium go and all its bell and whistles in a liferaft.

I know an Iridium Extreme can't make an emergency call without a SIM card (which is crazy in my opinion, but well, that's the way it is), but I'm wondering if it's possible to use the Go Sim card in the extreme handset for this purpose only (ie not downloading grib or anything, I just want to be able to communicate with emergency services in case of a life threatening situation)

thanks !
Brann
Brann- is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, emergency, enc, iridium