Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2016, 13:21   #31

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer
Re: Is a buoy number important? C-Map doesn't think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
No particularly difficult or tight zooming necessary, but now you mention it the buoy numbers on the Plan2Nav/C-Map lights do look like (are in the same typeface and size) as nearby depth soundings.

-Chris
yup. going from my Garmin 440s, on which, the buoy number and color was easy to see, always on the screen, always visible in a contrasting color. You would have to be hit hard in the head by a bunt instrument in order to miss it! B&G or cmap make you hunt for it like its a deep dark secret!

Agree the plan2nav seems to be a wee bit better than what is being shown on the vulcan 5, but I actually still prefer the way garmin displayed the info on the built in charts on my 440s
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 14:03   #32
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

OK, who (naker, not store) did you buy the plotter from? And they told you to buy the CMaps for it, right? So, don't get mislead into thinking this is your problem. You call the guys who made the plotter (or email them so there's a record, if you're not phone recording) and you tell them: "Look, his information IS in the original data from the source. You or your exclusively chosen partner have managed to omit it. This is a matter of either negligence, gross negligence, or other actionable misconduct. And right now, I've asked nicely for a correction on this and I've been told it is my problem. That's not correct, this is YOUR problem. Now, you have a chance to be hero and tell your management to get on the ball and correct this, whether it is YOUR mistake or whether you just forgot to check what your supplier gave you. I don't care. But you can be the hero who tells your management and gives them the chance to fix it, or when I file the class action lawsuit and the press releases go out, YOUR NAME is going to be on them as the responsible party who said "It isn't our problem." Your boss will not be a happy camper when he gets that lawsuit. This is your problem, not mine, and if you don't want to deal with it, that's fine with me, I'll let the courts explain to you why you have to deal with, pay for it, AND pay penalties for not having done so when I asked the first time, politely." You use a nice big pretty carrot. Once. And then you get out the biggest stick and whap 'em upside the head. Don't let the corporate tar babies suck you into the game of making their problems your problems. Life's too short to get sucked into bs like that. Whether it is or isn't their fault, you are their customer. You followed their rules. You deserve their gracious support. When customers don't get that support...vendors start bitching about the way someone fixed the CMap data and then started giving away pirate copies of it. Aw, gee....Ain't Karma a bitch? [In the interest of full disclosure, I'm a licensed agent of Karma, and I always volunteer to help Santa stuff coal in stockings. All those other snobby elves only want to wrap the pretty toys.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:58   #33

I did find a reasonable workaround.

I went into settings and disabled showing 'light' from navigation aids.

Now the buoy info shows up when you click the lighted buoy!

Not perfect, but a reasonable fix til they can fix it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 19-09-2016, 07:44   #34

Just got back from the Newport Boat show. Talked with B+G for a while about this problem. Apparently it is a well known issue. So I got some closure on the issue. Its no fixed, but I got an answer finally.

Looks like if a buoy has other things (like a gong) the number won't show up on the pop up list. I played with the plotters on display, and most of the lighted buoys were also shy about giving up the number if there was another attribute there.

But strangely enough, both C-Map and B&G did finally stand up and admit there is a known issue. Hopefully it will be sorted soon.

Still annoyed that B&G's C/S department stopped emailing me 10+ days ago. I guess when they dont know the answer, they just drop the conversation.

Couldn't find a better 5" N2k plotter for the helm, so I will likely keep the unit. I mostly like it, a good learning curve from my old garmin.

Just hope they get their ducks in a row and sort out the charting soon.
Old 06-12-2016, 14:20   #35

an update on this issue. I DID get an email from C-Map. They said that they have corrected this specific issue with buoys not showing up. Supposedly the number will be visible at all zoom levels. Unsure if it will show up on the pop up info. They are supposed to be sending me an updated chip to test out. Fingers crossed!

I know they are trying to put an incredible amount of information on the chart, and things fall through the cracks like this issue.

But goes to show vocal buyers can affect the products we use, and (some) companies do listen and take action to correct the issue.
Old 06-12-2016, 14:29   #36
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

I've been pleased with the C-Map guys' responses, too. I pointed out a number of errors in their Chesapeake Bay and eastern Caribbean charts, and they always got back to me promptly and seemed to appreciate the input.
Old 04-02-2019, 17:25   #37

Update on this old thread.

No real fix from cmap or b-g. Taking to the B&G rep at the boat show, They are well aware of the issue.. and say they are working on a fix.

I showed him him on the plotter on display... To show it still wasnt fixed.

I showed him my workaround, to not display items like lights or foghorn, etc.. or zoom way in then it shows up.

But still an issue! May not be important to some, but something i do rely on time to time. At least i know about it and how to work around it.
Old 04-02-2019, 17:52   #38

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Good reason to avoid B&G and all related makes.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c-map, import