Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2013, 19:58   #46
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: IPad vs tablet vs laptop vs chartplotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Apple Apple - iPad mini - Technical specifications
I'm sure its an expensive extra option but is it available on a comparably priced mini ipad?
If you read the specs you will find an internal assisted GPS/GLONASS receiver. The external GPS stuff you read about on CF is for those who bought a model without GPS.

I would never recommend an iPad mini for chart-plotter either... I already mentioned the iPad with Retina display for that. I believe you can get one with 128GByte memory if you need that much; I have 32GByte myself which is plenty.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll be happy with a waterproof tablet with HDMI connector and CF-slot that is built by anyone but evil Apple
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 20:19   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Nick, have you used or ever seen an iPad running full resolution with a Retina display? For that matter have you used a Mac with a Retina display and run it at full resolution?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 20:20   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Oh, here is a link I posted on a different thread. You may find it useful.
Virus alert: Apple fans tool up for 2013 Mac attacks - Emirates 24/7
Old 20-02-2013, 20:29   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Nick, have you used or ever seen an iPad running full resolution with a Retina display? For that matter have you used a Mac with a Retina display and run it at full resolution?
Sure I did. It looks like a professional print of a photo until things start to move and you realize it is a display unit. Even the regular screens have improved; when I first saw the display of the new iMac, I thought it was Retina until I learned it wasn't.

My eyes aren't as good as they were a couple years back but I'm assured that even the young human eye can't see individual pixels anymore. The screen truly outperforms the eye.

My iPad keeps working 100% so no excuse to buy the Retina version. But recently I learned that the new model will also allow me to dictate texts like this one with the quality of Siri, who is also included. I use Siri a lot with my iPhone and would use it much more if my iPad supported her.
Old 20-02-2013, 20:33   #50

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
If you read the specs you will find an internal assisted GPS/GLONASS receiver.
ONLY if you spend a couple of hundred $ more again on the cellular and wireless models making it almost 2 pantech for 1 mini Ipad
Quote:
I would never recommend an iPad mini for chart-plotter either... I already mentioned the iPad with Retina display for that.
So several hundred more again
Quote:
I believe you can get one with 128GByte memory if you need that much
Wow, up over $1000 now
Quote:
I have 32GByte myself which is plenty.
And it more than likely will be for me as well, but a 32GB chip is $20, not the $100+ that apple charge
Quote:
Anyway, I'm sure you'll be happy with a waterproof tablet with HDMI connector and CF-slot that is built by anyone but evil Apple
I'll likely be happy enough Nick and enjoy your poison apples

add: I have no problem with apple or those that wish to use one and I also have the same issues with several android products, (samsung, nexus to name a couple) as they also dont have HDMI and some other bits that I need either.
If apple phanboys are happy with less at greater cost thats great, for them, but really, do you need to get so pissed off at those who want more?
What sort of boring restricted world would it be if we all forced to buy and use the same product from the same supplier.
Old 20-02-2013, 21:12   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
ONLY if you spend a couple of hundred $ more again on the cellular and wireless models making it almost 2 pantech for 1 mini Ipad
$130 more than the model without. A cheap aftermarket GPS without GLONASS costs $99 so a fair price imo.

Quote:
So several hundred more again
Wow, up over $1000 now
$929.- list.

Quote:
And it more than likely will be for me as well, but a 32GB chip is $20, not the $100+ that apple charge
Except they don't give you a chip; they buy it and put it into an iPad, send it to you, provide service and warranty etc. Nobody would charge chip-price.

btw, at 32GByte the Retina version with GPS/GLONASS costs $729. Why would you compare that with the price of a Pantech of much lesser specs? Only because you are not interested in a fair comparison I guess.

Quote:
I'll likely be happy enough Nick and enjoy your poison apples
It was not a poison apple; I realized that your criteria are about lowest price mainly. I also went and read about the Pantech and found you can't use the external connections while requiring it to be waterproof. I also found that you can't use the touch screen when it is wet or when your fingers are wet. It also said the screen is unusable outdoors and the camera unusable anywhere (Engadget review). It sounds like what it is, a cheap knock-off. You get what you get for $300.- but you can't state that the iPad Retina is more than double the price for the same thing while keeping a straight face
Old 20-02-2013, 21:33   #52

Quote:
$130 more than the model without. A cheap aftermarket GPS without GLONASS costs $99 so a fair price imo.
But its money I dont have to spend on a product that already has it
Quote:
$929.- list.
Over $1000 in Australia

Quote:
Except they don't give you a chip; they buy it and put it into an iPad, send it to you, provide service and warranty etc.
But I dont want it IN my device permanently
I may want to have a 32gb chip with movies, a separate 32gb chip with music and another for boaty stuff.
With a slot I can choose what I want in it and when I use it
Quote:
Nobody would charge chip-price.
Sure they do
Anyone with a sd card slot charges chip price or lets you source your own

Quote:
btw, at 32GByte the Retina version with GPS/GLONASS costs $729. Why would you compare that with the price of a Pantech of much lesser specs? Only because you are not interested in a fair comparison I guess.
Actually Nick, "close" comparison was the $100 cheaper Pantech with the same screen res and grunt as the base model iPand mini
And it was you who bought up the retina display model not me.
Quote:
It was not a poison apple;
Sweet baby jeebus, cant even take a joke?
Quote:
I realized that your criteria are about lowest price mainly.
WRONG It was more than obvious it was about HDMI and storage.
Apple has neither.
Quote:
I also went and read about the Pantech and found you can't use the external connections while requiring it to be waterproof.
Why would I need them and it doesnt rain inside my motel room or home where I would use them
Quote:
I also found that you can't use the touch screen when it is wet or when your fingers are wet. .
You are right, but at least it wouldnt be DEAD like the apple
Quote:
It also said the screen is unusable outdoors and the camera unusable anywhere (Engadget review)
Just as well I am not buying for the camera.
At the end of the day there possibly isnt a tablet out there that does it all, but this does more than most.
Quote:
It sounds like what it is, a cheap knock-off.
Let me guess, because it hasnt an apple brand?
Nick, you really are sounding like the king of the phanboys
Quote:
You get what you get for $300.-
which is a hell of a lot more than the $360 mini iPad
Quote:
but you can't state that the iPad Retina is more than double the price for the same thing while keeping a straight face
See above, you threw retina display into the mix not me, I would have preferred to compare like for like (I dare not say apple with apples)

Also, there are no shortage of damn near retina display droids out there as well for a whole lot less money than apple product, example.
Google nexus 10 Pixel density: 300ppi (2,560 x 1,600 pixels)
Apple Pixel density: 264ppi (2,048 x 1,560 pixels)
Old 20-02-2013, 21:43   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Sure I did. It looks like a professional print of a photo until things start to move and you realize it is a display unit.
That's interesting because about 4 months ago I looked at one and there was no software ready to use the Retina display at its full potential, and unlike Windows there is no way to adjust the display settings for the higher resolution in Mac OS. Apple recommended that people use 1400 x 800 (I believe that was the setting) pixels. Yes, it was a nice display, however the salesman suggested that I use what the professional photographers and graphic artists were using...NEC if I wanted higher resolution and a larger screen size.
Old 20-02-2013, 21:54   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
But its money I dont have to spend on a product that already has it
[...]
Also, there are no shortage of damn near retina display droids out there as well for a whole lot less money than apple product.
So it is not about money?

The thing is that you try to use a tablet like a laptop, with the hdmi ports etc. and that will never lead to anywhere pretty because it is not suited for that.

Improvements for leading designs are about eliminating cables, connectors and switches, not adding them. For example, you will find that TVs will support Airplay just like many AV receivers already do for audio. Tablets have not been designed to connect to external screens with cables. It requires a change in the way consumers use the technology.

Let's say we have a clone of you leading the same life as you, but we re-program him to select the iPad at double the cost, while you go for the Pantech. Will the clone be unhappy with the iPad? After a couple of years, will he still be using the iPad happily, while you are on your 3rd try to find a better device for half the price, or will he have put the iPad on eBay and bought the Pantech? What is more probable?

What if somebody stands up and tells you he will pay for the tablet regardless which of the two you choose... would you still choose the Pantech?

It all doesn't matter because all that doesn't happen and thus we will have the great experience of reading your review of the Pantech on CF soon

Old 20-02-2013, 22:05   #55

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
That's interesting because about 4 months ago I looked at one and there was no software ready to use the Retina display at its full potential, and unlike Windows there is no way to adjust the display settings for the higher resolution in Mac OS. Apple recommended that people use 1400 x 800 (I believe that was the setting) pixels. Yes, it was a nice display, however the salesman suggested that I use what the professional photographers and graphic artists were using...NEC if I wanted higher resolution and a larger screen size.
The MBP display has (and uses) the native resolution of 2880x1800 pixels, at 220ppi.

I think the salesman was confused by the "scaled resolution" support. This is just for making text appear bigger or smaller, but does not change the physical resolution, i.e. it stays 220ppi.

You don't need special software as the OS takes care of it and the updates for that were released as the new models came out. I.e. the OS renders the display.

I can imagine that Retina displays enable new technologies or techniques and that there is no software for that yet. But I do a lot of photowork with Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop and am very happy with that. Those do use the ATI graphics system for rendering fast.

NEC displays are popular yes, but most pro photographers I see on the forum I am on (dgrin.com) use iMacs now. Those have become fast enough and the displays can be calibrated good enough.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 20-02-2013, 22:07   #56

Quote:
So it is not about money?
Nope
if the ipad mini and pantech where the same price I would still go pantech because of the extra usability.

Quote:
The thing is that you try to use a tablet like a laptop, with the hdmi ports etc. and that will never lead to anywhere pretty because it is not suited for that.
Just as well I am not using it like that.
I did say HDMI was for watching media on hotel tv screens, something I cant do with an apple product unless buying yet_another_device to possibly make it work.

Quote:
Improvements for leading designs are about eliminating cables, connectors and switches, not adding them. For example, you will find that TVs will support Airplay just like many AV receivers already do for audio. Tablets have not been designed to connect to external screens with cables. It requires a change in the way consumers use the technology.
yes yes but read above
Hotel rooms dont have apple tvs or devices that talk to apple and probably never will.
But they do have HDMI ports on their tvs

Quote:
Let's say we have a clone of you leading the same life as you, but we re-program him to select the iPad at double the cost, while you go for the Pantech. Will the clone be unhappy with the iPad?
Sure he would. No HDMI, Data card slot or ability to plug in my portable hard drive? What sort of hell is this?
Quote:
After a couple of years, will he still be using the iPad happily, while you are on your 3rd try to find a better device for half the price, or will he have put the iPad on eBay and bought the Pantech? What is more probable?
Obviously he would have dumped the ipad, unless they had the slots and ports required
Quote:
What if somebody stands up and tells you he will pay for the tablet regardless which of the two you choose... would you still choose the Pantech?
Yes, because it has the slots and ports I require.
Plus GPS, waterproof and gorilla glass screen

[QUOTE]
Quote:
It all doesn't matter because all that doesn't happen and thus we will have the great experience of reading your review of the Pantech on CF soon
Well for me it will be the better device simply because it has what the apple mini ipad does not.
Old 20-02-2013, 22:18   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Well for me it will be the better device simply because it has what the apple mini ipad does not.
Indeed. While iPad users watch the movie on their Ipad Retina display, instead of cabling up the room. Or, they don't watch a movie at all because the History Channel is up. They don't carry hard-drives with 100's of movies around hotels, nor any hdmi cables, taking TVs off the walls to hook them up. Many just read an ebook or forum. They hate the idea of hdmi ports and external hard disks on their iPad.

Lots of different folks around
Old 20-02-2013, 22:25   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So much for that salesman. He was quoting me the MBP specs. and not the MBP with Retina display. My bad...
Old 20-02-2013, 22:27   #59

All very nice nick except I have never had to take a tv off a wall to plug in a cable.
I couldn't bear to watch media on some pissy little screen when a 32 inch or 40 inch one is so close by.
In the countries I travel things like history channel or any English speaking channel are rarely available (and they're bloody repeats anyway)
And if reading an ebook or forum well guess what. An android device can do that as well.

Like I said, I am not sold on the pantech (though I have bought it) if a Nexus 7 or Galaxy or (add tab here) would have had the HDMI port, expansion slot, ability to have hard drive if I wanted and gps I probably would have got one of them, but they dont, so Pantech it is and other forum members say they are good.
Old 21-02-2013, 02:47   #60

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

I think you guys should do and poll, Apple iPad or Google Android

I would put my mony on the iPad

But, Hey Cheap is good, Right
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chartplotter