Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2014, 13:13   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
ipad gps

Ok quick question.

(wife)Turtled the dinghy yesterday lost the iPad. Long story

So if I order a new one does the 4g capable GPS work offshore? I was under the impression that the precious Igps devices only worked within range of a cell network?

any quickie crash course info appreciated
Old 29-10-2014, 13:15   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: ipad gps

Great way to justify a new toy! Kudos to the wife.

My iPad GPS works independent of cellular
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 13:17   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

My understanding is that the GPS works independent of any cell coverage. My i-phone does and so does my wife's i-pad air (with no cell coverage).
Old 29-10-2014, 13:45   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Yes, the confusion exists because the only iPad models with GPS are those also with cell capability. However, the two are independent of each other.

When in cell range, the iPad can use the cell triangulation to more quickly get an initial GPS position when turned on, but in practice, this hardly makes any difference.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 13:55   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Save yourself a whole lot of money and buy one without the cell phone and use a bluetooth GPS, unless of course you really want to pay for a cell data plan
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 14:01   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

So you have to get the 4g or whatever upgrade to have GPS? I have not heard of a Bluetooth GPS, but that might be good as I plan to get a Bluetooth serial adapter for my pactor to my tablet PC
Old 29-10-2014, 14:07   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Save yourself a whole lot of money and buy one without the cell phone and use a bluetooth GPS, unless of course you really want to pay for a cell data plan
Just to be clear, you do not need a cell data plan to use the GPS. You don't even need a SIM card. The GPS will work even with the cell transceiver turned off completely.

It is just that Apple decided for some reason to only offer GPS on its cell models and not its wifi ones.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 29-10-2014, 14:09   #8

Boat: Hunter 40

Quote:
A cell data plan is not necessary for the iPad GPS to work! You can use the iPad with GPS function as you would a non GPS version. If you want, at a later stage or for intermittent periods, just get a data plan then. But for navigation apps etc. it works just fine without a plan. This how I use my iPad, an iPad 1 with cell & GPS. I used mine in the Kimberly region of NW Australia. There aint no cell phones out there!

EDIT: What Mark said….replying @ same time.
Old 29-10-2014, 14:28   #9

Boat: CS36T

What Mark said is accurate.
Old 29-10-2014, 14:35   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I didn't say you needed a cell data plan to make the GPS work, but why buy an IPAD with the cell phone if your not going to use it? Use a bluetooth GPS, get better accuracy, save money. Unless you feel you need the data plan.
Apple has done a lot of "interesting" marketing with their devices, no data storage chip for instance, no if you want data storage, you pay for it built in,and if you want the built in GPS, you have to buy the one with the cell phone, usually bundled with a cell phone service plan
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 14:39   #11

Boat: CS36T

Creative marketing for sure
but still to be clear, no SIM card or data plan or service plan is required. It's just the cell model ipad is a different hardware version incorporating the GPS provision.
Old 29-10-2014, 14:40   #12

Boat: Hunter 40

Quote:
I didn't say you needed a cell data plan to make the GPS work, but why buy an IPAD with the cell phone if your not going to use it? Use a bluetooth GPS, get better accuracy, save money. Unless you feel you need the data plan.
Sorry, misinterpreted your post.
Old 29-10-2014, 14:58   #13

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
So you have to get the 4g or whatever upgrade to have GPS? I have not heard of a Bluetooth GPS, but that might be good as I plan to get a Bluetooth serial adapter for my pactor to my tablet PC
A bluetooth gps can be problematic. You need the proper drivers on your tablet for it so you have to verify what hardware is compatible. It also uses power which quite possibly will come from your tablet which reduces your already limited battery life. It's something else you have to worry about waterproofing and there is a cable which can get in the way and reduce portability.

"you pays your money and you takes your choice!'' Mark Twain
kentobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 15:01   #14

Quote:
Apple has done a lot of "interesting" marketing with their devices, no data storage chip for instance, no if you want data storage, you pay for it built in,and if you want the built in GPS, you have to buy the one with the cell phone, usually bundled with a cell phone service plan
I also misinterpreted your post and was just clarifying (now I realize you meant "pay for a cell capable model" and not "pay for cell data plan").

There are advantages of having an internal GPS - particularly if one wishes to use the iPad off the boat or on other boats.

A bluetooth GPS suitable for the iPad costs $100-150, and one must also run power to it. The difference in price of a GPS iPad and a non-GPS iPad is $129, so there isn't anything to be gained monetarily by not getting a GPS model unless one already has the bluetooth GPS.

The accuracy of the iPad internal GPS is quite high indeed. When we got ours, I turned google earth on showing the house we were in and I could watch myself walk from room to room, out on the deck, to the exact corner of the yard, to the exact intersection of the street and driveway, etc.

None of the iPads come bundled with a cell phone service plan and they are not tied to any carrier - those are iPhones you are thinking of, and only the subsidized ones at that.

As for Apple's marketing and their reasoning, it is what it is. There are a lot of non-Apple tablets to choose from. However, right now most of the marine software is only available on Apple gear. I suspect that may change more in the future, though.

Mark

Old 29-10-2014, 15:13   #15

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

There are a lot of non-Apple tablets to choose from. However, right now most of the marine software is only available on Apple gear. I suspect that may change more in the future, though.

???

There are boatloads of marine apps out there for Android devices....

???

-Chris

Tags
gps, Ipad