Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2018, 08:00   #106

Boat: Mirage,schmit,27'
Re: IPad for Navigation FAQ 2018

https://www.cruisingworld.com/wild-coast-quebec
copaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 08:23   #107

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

I have used iPad Air and iPad Pro in an intensive commercial aviation environment. I can verify the overheating issue.. You must shade either unit from direct sun. iPad Pro is operationally Superior to any of the older units.. Regarding GPS performance I am sorry to report that all the units I used suffered random loss of GPS lock. The issue rendered a very useful tool useless more than half the time. Most users who must have continuous GPS tracking resort to an external GPS puck. Note.. The GPS lock issue results in loss of position data not erroneous position solutions. Past studies have shown that the issue stems from signal attenuation related to the aluminum iPad case. Certainly you can use iPad for charts, weather and communication just be aware that it has limits that are more restrictive than other tablets due to its construction.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 09:14   #108

Boat: 1979 Islander 36

Folks keep complaining that they will not use the program because they have to pay for the free NOAA charts. You do not have to pay for the free NOAA charts. Go to the charts section and choose which free charts you want. I no longer use the free charts, but I use the other charts for US, Canada, Caribbean, New Zealand, etc. But for folks who say they won’t use the program because they want free NOAA charts, I say then download the free NOAA charts.
macman4190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 09:18   #109

Boat: 1979 Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by copaco View Post
Fugawi refered me to Navionics but now I see I could have chosen other charts.You must delete your expired iNavX .When I did that, the new ones I just paid for deleted also.Now I must wait until tuesday to have answer from Fugawi.It was very easy last year????

You might find it easier to manage your charts directly from the app. Select Charts. Then you can see your charts, or browse charts in the store. You can also select My Charts and download your charts again, as long as the app is logged in to your Xtraverse/Fugawi account.
macman4190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 03:48   #110

I suceeded this morning by disconnecting router.I should have deleted old version iNavX app before puchasing new version.
Old 20-05-2018, 12:21   #111

Holiday in Canada, so I won't have answers until tuesday.All went fine ,then I lost navigation info:aids,soundings.Only vessel icône showed.Then lost that also.
Now iNavX logo fills full screen and loading circle rotates and does not stop.Once screen went black ,but with chart menu bellow.iPad new,100% charged and connected close to router
Old 16-06-2018, 21:40   #112

This is the interest topic to me. I am wanting the switch from our old chartplotting at helm to the iPad but have the hard time finding good infomations for doing it. I like this video I find today. The man is funny and I learn many things.

Monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 17:22   #113

Hi Steadman,

We met in Norfolk at Rebel Marina back in spring of 2018 when I was headed north. I’m the single-hander in the J/42 who was tied up in front of you.

I use an iPad Pro 12.9” for navigation most of the time, and I’m setting up to have all instrument data displayed on the iPad via WifI, except for radar, which is only possible with Furuno at this point. It’s a great option most of the time. When things are really wet, or I have the radar on in fog or at night, I fall back to the installed chart plotters But they’re old and power hungry, hence the use of the iPad when weather and sailing condition permit.

Looks like you’ve received some good info, but here are a couple of things I didn’t see in the thread (although I skimmed, and may have missed them).

1. Touch screen becomes useless in wet weather, so needs to be well sheltered. It’s possible that a case which covers the screen may protect against this, but not sure. Laptop kept below with a waterproof display on deck is really the ideal solution, but not what I have. And I presume you’re looking for portability, so not an option for you.

2. For a waterproof case, I use the LifeProof Naked. It seals the iPad, but leaves the glass screen exposed, which keep the touch functionality experience as designed. I’ve completely submerged these cases and not had any issues (not that I’d recommend using them as underwater cases). But as mentioned above, I’m not sure if a case that covers the screen also preserve touch screen functionality when wet. Hadn’t thought about it until I wrote this reply, but I need to figure that out.

Cheers,
Ed
esitver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 12:16   #114

Boat: Hanse 348

Most of the posts are from a year ago. While I have 2 chartplotters on a nmea bus on the boat, i just got an ipad. I am curious as to what SW people consider the best to use.

I do have a navionics license for my chartplotter, I don't know if that gives me charts on the ipad as well, or is inavx just as good with the free noaa charts.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 04:46   #115
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Most of the posts are from a year ago. While I have 2 chartplotters on a nmea bus on the boat, i just got an ipad. I am curious as to what SW people consider the best to use.

I do have a navionics license for my chartplotter, I don't know if that gives me charts on the ipad as well, or is inavx just as good with the free noaa charts.
I recommend iSailor. I feed it wifi data from my Vesper 8000 and can even operate my autopilot wirelessly from within their app
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 10:15   #116

Boat: Tartan 40

I used iPad with iSailor 5 weeks this summer exploring the north shore of Lake Superior. The iPad overheated several times when exposed to direct sunlight. I keep it in a silicone case with the screen uncovered/exposed, like an iPhone case. The case likely made it harder for the iPad to dissipate heat. The glass on the screen cracked, the last time it overheated. I think it was just the overheating that cracked the glass. Outside temp was never more than 80F. So, I had to replace the glass screen for $100 or so from a local non-Apple tech.

I have Raymarine chartplotter, 5-10 years old, in the cockpit. I like the iPad with iSailor better. I pick it up when I need it. I lay it under the dodger when I don't need it. I don't like screens as they distract from the whole experience of enjoying the outdoors and sailing my boat. I prefer to sail by feel, sail trim and windex.

Also, I found out the hard way, that neither the Raymarine charts nor the iSailor charts nor Navionics charts are accurate or dependable for detail. The official paper charts show shoals 50 -100 yards off the shoreline that do not appear on the electronic charts. I bumped.
djhsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 18:15   #117

Boat: Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhsailor View Post
I used iPad with iSailor 5 weeks this summer exploring the north shore of Lake Superior. The iPad overheated several times when exposed to direct sunlight. I keep it in a silicone case with the screen uncovered/exposed, like an iPhone case. The case likely made it harder for the iPad to dissipate heat. The glass on the screen cracked, the last time it overheated. I think it was just the overheating that cracked the glass. Outside temp was never more than 80F. So, I had to replace the glass screen for $100 or so from a local non-Apple tech.

I have Raymarine chartplotter, 5-10 years old, in the cockpit. I like the iPad with iSailor better. I pick it up when I need it. I lay it under the dodger when I don't need it. I don't like screens as they distract from the whole experience of enjoying the outdoors and sailing my boat. I prefer to sail by feel, sail trim and windex.

Also, I found out the hard way, that neither the Raymarine charts nor the iSailor charts nor Navionics charts are accurate or dependable for detail. The official paper charts show shoals 50 -100 yards off the shoreline that do not appear on the electronic charts. I bumped.
I've used iSailor on an iPad and an iPhone for about three years, sailing out of Baltimore on Chesapeake Bay. I also use the tides, guide and ais addons. I think next year I'll drp the tides one; I have other apps for that. The guide is good when you end up somewhere and realize you need fuel or water or a dock.

I find it generally accurate, always helpful. I have iNavx also and it's a LOT more difficult to use. I also have OpenCPN but that doesn't work on the iPad.

The biggest issue is, as you said, the overheating. I tried mounting my iPad at the helm in a case; that overheated quickly. So I mostly have it under the cushions while underway. I can easily grab it and look and i also use my iPhone with iSailior for something I want to have right at hand. I should say I mostly singlehand.
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 19:11   #118

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter
Thumbs down Re: IPad for Navigation FAQ 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
I have used iPad Air and iPad Pro in an intensive commercial aviation environment. I can verify the overheating issue.. You must shade either unit from direct sun. iPad Pro is operationally Superior to any of the older units.. Regarding GPS performance I am sorry to report that all the units I used suffered random loss of GPS lock. The issue rendered a very useful tool useless more than half the time. Most users who must have continuous GPS tracking resort to an external GPS puck. Note.. The GPS lock issue results in loss of position data not erroneous position solutions. Past studies have shown that the issue stems from signal attenuation related to the aluminum iPad case. Certainly you can use iPad for charts, weather and communication just be aware that it has limits that are more restrictive than other tablets due to its construction.

Watcha flying?

I’ve been using minis and ForeFlight for years and they’ve been great, never had one overheat, but I also keep it stowed or on my lap, not in the windows.
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 19:23   #119

Boat: HR 31 Monsun

Been to Alaska and back and around Vancouver Island with my boat using an Ipad mini most of the time. I it used in the cockpit and plugged in most of the time. The only issues I have had is - heat it sat in the sun one day and turned off but 10 minutes later in the shade was working fully again, the other issue is that you need to make sure you have downloaded the actual charts to the ipad.
I am using Navionics and find that its planning functions are a bit limited so I always did the next days planning with MacEnc on my macbook. I am now having to learn OpenCpn since macEnc went out of business which is an issue that really has me Peeed off as I was twice ripped off by that company. I paid a lot for the Canadian charts via navionics to use in MacEnc and now I can't use them.
I would like to have the bigger screen size of the bigger models but they dont have the antireflective screen that the mini and pros have.
I have been lucky to have tried most of the different chartplotter systems, Garmin, Lowrance, standard horizon, raymarine (through various workboats) and have to say the ipad is as good as most of them it you just want good basic features.
paralog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 20:39   #120

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by paralog View Post
I have been lucky to have tried most of the different chartplotter systems, Garmin, Lowrance, standard horizon, raymarine (through various workboats) and have to say the ipad is as good as most of them it you just want good basic features.
If you use a big iPad Pro with real raster charts it beats the pants off anything using vector charts.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation, Ipad