Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2018, 11:29   #91

Boat: 1979 Islander 36
Re: IPad for Navigation FAQ 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Thanks for adding your answers.

Have you used the 12.9 in the cockpit?

Have you used it in a waterproof case of some type? Which?

Have you mounted it to the deck, bulkhead of cockpit, or pedestal? If so, how?

I use the 12.9 inch in the cockpit mounted on the pedestal. I use Zarcor, but there are other mounts. I use 2 gallon heavy duty ziplock bags to waterproof it. The sun on the plastic makes it hard to read if you can’t shade it. It has been my primary device for several years and I am happy with it. I use the GPS versions so I have a backup if my GPS feed goes out. My AIS box is a WiFi hot spot and sends all my NMEA data to my iPad. I am using iNavX.
macman4190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 11:20   #92

Boat: Mirage,schmit,27'

I'm trying to re-activate InavX app on my mini-iPad.I have the chart but I believe I must renew the GPS icône of vessel position.Fugawi was sold to Google it seems.No Help from any support on Navionics or annyone.The is an app in Apple Store for 107$.Can anyone confirm that I must purchase this app.Thanks,Lionel
copaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 12:20   #93

Boat: Mirage 35

Contact iNavX support first - I have found them to be very helpful. I had a problem that they referred to Fugawi on my behalf; got a very prompt response through that channel.
Old 17-05-2018, 12:24   #94

I received answer from Fugawi.Must purchase Navionics+USA CANADA lakes.120$
Old 17-05-2018, 14:33   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by copaco View Post
I received answer from Fugawi.Must purchase Navionics+USA CANADA lakes.120$

When I check the website, it says $80. It is also an in App purchase within iNavX, if you have a recent version of iNavX. I recently bought that package, but did not pay $120. I am in USA, if that matters.
Old 18-05-2018, 04:18   #96

I'm in Canada.I have purchased the USA Canada chart through Fugawi (it won't download yet).One reply ,on another forum (french), says to go straight to Navionics.
Old 18-05-2018, 04:40   #97

Quote:
I'm in Canada.I have purchased the USA Canada chart through Fugawi (it won't download yet).One reply ,on another forum (french), says to go straight to Navionics.

In INavX are you logged into your X-Traverse/Fugawi account so it can access your charts? Have you looked at the user guide found in iNavX? There is also a contact us menu to send them an email.
Old 18-05-2018, 06:55   #98

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Like the OP I have an older ipad that i occasionally use for navigation. Mostly because setting up routes is much easier an less time consuming than on my actual chartplotter.

A couple of caveats with using an ipad in the cockpit for navigation. As previously posted, keep it plugged in and charging if you want to be able to use it all day with the screen constantly on. Keep the ipad away from the sun. Not so much for the readability (its really not that bad) but because if you leave the ipad out exposed to the sun all day, it WILL overheat and shutdown on you. This I can guaranty will happen. It happend to me several times last summer and each time you have to take it below and let it cool off for at least 30 minutes before you can use it again. This is a serious issue if it decides to overhead right at a tricky spot!

I still (for now) use Garmin BCM with the charts I purchased last year as I think it was the best of the options. I refuse to use InavX as they need you to purchase the free NOAA charts through xtraverse. I'm not sure how they get away trying to charge $10 per charge when NOAA offers them free to the public! Hopefully they've fixed that by now.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 07:41   #99

Good advice about the cockpit.
Old 18-05-2018, 12:43   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
I still (for now) use Garmin BCM with the charts I purchased last year as I think it was the best of the options. I refuse to use InavX as they need you to purchase the free NOAA charts through xtraverse. I'm not sure how they get away trying to charge $10 per charge when NOAA offers them free to the public! Hopefully they've fixed that by now.

I have used iNavX for many years and have never paid for free NOAA charts. The free charts are available in the in app chart list. However, if you are tired of switching back and forth between all the NOAA charts, you can pay money to get quilted charts that do the switching automatically for you, like the vector charts do. The free NOAA charts have always been available for free and have been a selling point for iNavX.
Old 18-05-2018, 16:34   #101

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

Not only do you have to pay for them they don’t quilt (I think that is the term) ie they do move sequentially from chart to chart as your Boat moves forward.

Of course that has always been an issue with iNavx and MacENC products, that you have to pick a chart initially when the program starts. It cannot figure out the correct charts to open based on your GPS location.

Without a complete Re-write I don’t think iNavx will ever improve in quantam leaps. After 10 years they have not implemented anything significantly new.

Just count how many clicks it takes to connect to TCP after router restart. It is absurd that is placed so deep in the nesting menus.

Will they ever incorporate Avtive Captain? Doubt it, too proud to admit they made a mistake years ago not to do it.

Yet, I still use the app because I have invested so much in charts but if they disappear again, I don’t I will come back again.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 18:20   #102

Folks should download the free NOAA raster charts if they don’t want to pay for charts. That is what I used for many years. I never bought any charts. If you want quilted NOAA charts, they are available for $9.99. They are a bit slower. INavX has always been fairly good at picking the correct chart for me when I use the plus and minus signs on the left and right side of the screen. The menu clicks to get TCP/IP going has gotten worse with the latest versions. I now use UDP all the time, for a more reliable connection.
Old 19-05-2018, 04:21   #103

Fugawi refered me to Navionics but now I see I could have chosen other charts.You must delete your expired iNavX .When I did that, the new ones I just paid for deleted also.Now I must wait until tuesday to have answer from Fugawi.It was very easy last year????
Old 19-05-2018, 04:48   #104

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Fugawi refered me to Navionics but now I see I could have chosen other charts.You must delete your expired iNavX .When I did that, the new ones I just paid for deleted also.Now I must wait until tuesday to have answer from Fugawi.It was very easy last year????
There’s another thread covering inavx problem here on CF.

iNavX charts disappeared (Navionics) - Page 8 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Too many of us have been having problems with how charts are managed in the app. I used to be a big supporter and booster of the software. Now, I am more wary. It has let me down too many times for me to fully trust it.

The support I’ve received from iNavx and Fugawi has always been very good. But that doesn’t help me when I’m cruising the remote areas of Newfoundland or the St. Lawrence north shore and suddenly all my charts disappear.

BTW, for those saying just get the free NOAA charts; that’s a great solution if you’re sailing US waters. The world is a big place. NOAA doesn’t cover it all (like where copaco wants to travel).
Old 19-05-2018, 05:08   #105

In Canada,you must have all paper charts on board.I have two other GPS's.
About the LNS, the new canadian paper charts are now available.

Tags
navigation, Ipad