Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 12:38   #16

Boat: Hudson Force 50
Re: ICOM 735 and Antenna Tuner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
The tuner control cable connects to a companion mating controller (AH2) which I mounted on the side of the 735. The AH2 then connects to the 735. If the controller is missing, you might be able to replicate the controller but I don't have the schematic to refer.

I'll talk to Rick, N9PMR, who might need a short history lesson as I suspect this equipment is before his time.

"The tuner control cable (from AT-120 or from AH2?) connects to a companion mating controller (is this part of the AH2, the IC-735 or is this a special part), and then connects to the 735 (where does it connect?"

Any chance you can post a photo of this? If I knew what parts to buy and connect, I could probably make this work.

Sorry for all the questions, but I am new to radios..but enjoy learning.

The Witchdoctor
medicrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:51   #17
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicrene View Post
"The tuner control cable (from AT-120 or from AH2?) connects to a companion mating controller (is this part of the AH2, the IC-735 or is this a special part), and then connects to the 735 (where does it connect?"

Any chance you can post a photo of this? If I knew what parts to buy and connect, I could probably make this work.

The Witchdoctor
Google is your friend. Just Google "Icom AH2"....loads of references, manuals, pix.

You can't just buy parts and make it work if you're new to radio. An experienced radio tech could do it, but it's highly unlikely you could.

Your choices are to:

1. find a used AH2 and use the existing IC735/AT120; or

2. buy a new tuner like the SG-230 (by the way, it will tune a wet noodle...the 50' is crap); or

3. sell the IC735 and buy another Icom radio which will work directly with the AT120 (M700, M710, M710RT, M700Pro, M800, M600, M802).

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:53   #18

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

My apologies for being sarcastic.
I also had the AH-2. The radio was flush mounted at the nav table and the AH-2 was as well.
That was at least 17 years ago.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 15:53   #19

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicrene View Post

The Witchdoctor
The tuner (AT120) cable connects to the AH2 controller which connects to the 735. Everything is in pieces now so a pic wouldn't provide any clearer a reference for you.

Maybe this - the 735 Rf output goes through the tuner to the antenna. Independent of that, the tuner cable 4 conductor cable goes to the AH2 which is controlled via a short 12V power cable to the 735.

Moot points if you can't find the AH2. If it helps, I'd be willing to sell the AH2 but only in combination with my tuner as it is useless to anyone separately (as you know).
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 17:54   #20

Boat: Fantasia 35

Here is the link to a pdf version of the AT 120 manual. Check-out page 10 on connecting to any transceiver.

http://www.thiecom.de/pdf/AT-120.pdf

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:02   #21

Boat: Jeanneau 52.2

I am a complete noob and apologies for this question but will the AT 120 work with the lasted 802 and will all the functions work? What about the 801E? I have an old 710 on the yacht I just bought and need something that will be safe, reliable, can upload and download sailmail, weather and upload to blogs etc.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I do learn quickly (not as quick as when I was a kid though).

Thanks
Dave
tommyboy-afloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:20   #22

Boat: Northwest 21 & Islander 36 (too many boats problem)

Hi there,
A couple things I haven't seen mentioned:

-- If you can't locate a AH-2 control interface for purchase, you could always buy a generic autotuner like this one: (Products LDG Electronics). I have it coupled to my IC-735 and it works fine. If you already have the AT-120 this might not be your optimal solution, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

-- In order to broadcast on the marine frequencies (8MHz, for example), it was necessary to open the radio and clip two diodes on one of the circuit boards (D32 and D34 I think?). You can find the specific schematic instructions online if you use Google-**. Be careful to identify the correct circuit board first - I accidentally clipped the right diodes on the wrong board and had to resolder and try again. ;P

--For the frugal out there: My antenna is a copper cable attached to a coax feed line, threaded into the core of a rope, and strung up on a halyard. My RF ground is simply a wire that connects the braided jacket of the coax antenna feed line to my stern pulpit and toerail. Total cost of the antenna/ground system is in the neighborhood of $30.
Old 01-06-2014, 14:09   #23

Boat: Catalina 470

Dave,
Welcome to Cruiser's Forum!!

1) The short answer is YES, the AT-120 that you have connected to the Icom M-710 will work with newer Icom marine HF radios (M-802 and M-801e)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy-afloat View Post
I am a complete noob and apologies for this question but will the AT 120 work with the lasted 802 and will all the functions work? What about the 801E? I have an old 710 on the yacht I just bought and need something that will be safe, reliable, can upload and download sailmail, weather and upload to blogs etc.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I do learn quickly.

2) The long answer is multi-fold...
a) Very early versions of the AT-120 were designed to operate from 2mhz - 22mhz....then a newer version was released that was spec'd to operate from 1.6mhz - 27.5mhz....
b) By the time the M-710 was introduced, the new version of the AT-120 was already being manufactured...
SO...
c) So, if your AT-120 was originally purchased / installed with the M-710, then you're fine...
If, however your AT-120 predates the installation of the M-710 (which it may), then it may not work on the 25mhz marine band (nor the 12m and 10m ham radio bands, although with sun spot activity on the decrease, this will not be much of an issue for the next 7 - 8 years....)

d) Not knowing the age/condition of the AT-120, I would simply recommend that you replace it with a new tuner, such as the AT-140....(and keep the AT-120 as an on-board spare...or sell it for about $150, if budget is tight...)

e) Similar questions here, a few months ago...
Antenna tuner for Icom M710

3) As for help regarding reliable radios, weather info/forecasts, etc...
Oh boy....where do I begin??

First off, the Icom M-802 is a fine radio and will suit your needs well...
Icom SSB Radio Kits & Components

(buy a new one from Gary at Dockside Radio, and you'll be wll taken care of!!!)

IC-M802 HF Marine Transceiver - Features - Icom America

Further I'll direct you to read a few threads right here on Cruiser's Forum and on the SSCA disc boards....and ask you to watch some videos!!!
(If you read all these threads AND the links provided there....and watch the videos...you'll know more about marine HF communications, offshore weather info/forecasts, radio operations, etc. than 99% of the rest of the sailors/cruisers out there....no BS)

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ll-114734.html
(Watch these videos, along with reading these other threads)

These next two threads will show you all the various ways to access weather info/forecasts when offshore and/or in remote areas...(and you'll see that you do NOT need a PACTOR modem, nor Sailmail, to access the "gold standard" of offshore/hi-sea weather, for FREE...)
Offshore / Hi-Seas Weather data / forecasts

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ea-103555.html

Here (together with the videos), you see what really happens when needing to signal a distress...
Icom M-802 DSC-Distress Signaling, what really happens!

EPIRB Activation? What happens/How to improve rescue odds

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1532922

Make sure you follow the recommendations in the Sailmail Primer, even if you do NOT have a PACTOR modem and do not have a Sailmail account....as their radio installation recommendations are spot-on!!
SailMail Primer

And, plenty of excellent info on specific topics here in these threads...

IC-M802 Compression

Icom M-802 "Clipping Issue" - Revisited....

Icom M-802 use on the Ham Radio Bands

Tips for using an HF-SSB Radio (mostly for newcomers)

HF Radio Freqs, summertime Atlantic crossing, offshore Net..

Icom M-802 Instr Videos(basic-adv) & LIVE DSC-Distress Call

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1532922

EPIRB Activation? What happens/How to improve rescue odds

Antenna tuner for Icom M710

SailMail Primer

I hope this helps.... (aren't you glad I gave you the "short answer" right up front??

Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 14:12   #24

Boat: Catalina 470

Jeff,
Just thought I'd point out that you are responding to a 2-yr. old thread question...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBurright View Post
A couple things I haven't seen mentioned:
-- If you can't locate a AH-2 control interface for purchase, .....
I'm pretty sure the original poster had it all figured out a while back...

Fair winds..

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 14:16   #25

Boat: Northwest 21 & Islander 36 (too many boats problem)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
Jeff,
Just thought I'd point out that you are responding to a 2-yr. old thread question...I'm pretty sure the original poster had it all figured out a while back...

Fair winds..

John
s/v Annie Laurie

Woops, my bad. We're off the boat for a few days housesitting, and I must have been drunk on unlimited Internet.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:37   #26

Boat: Jeanneau 52.2

Hi Jeff, thank you so much for that information, a great help. Im pretty sure the at120 cam with the ic 700. I will look at its specs when i get a chance. Again info greatly appreciated. Ill learn as much as I can.

Going to be spending a few years out on the water, starting in the Med and slowly slowly heading back towards Australia, west bound.

Oh one other question if you do not mind. Will I have to replace the cabling between the AT 120 and the new 800 series radio?

Hope to chat again.
Dave
tommyboy-afloat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, icom