Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2009, 19:27   #46

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
I used to use a Tillerpilot 5500 with a built-in compass on my previous boat. After installing my ham radio, I had only used it at dockside... Wanting to try it underway a few days later, I activated the autopilot and went below to try the radio for a quick test message, just to make sure everything still worked - as soon as I hit the transmit button the autopilot auto-tacked the boat... It was open water and no traffic - no harm done except to scare the daylights out of me

Long wire antennae can/may play funny tricks on your fluxgate compass... Some friends came along the next time and we could fairly reliably tack the boat with the ham radio transmit key....

Sailndive
Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 16:12   #47
cruiser

Homicidal autopilots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
I'm not seeing any real information in all this. If there is anything to this story I can't see how you have it first hand. You don't even claim to know anything first hand or even someone that knows someone. Brent, why do you make these conspiracy stories up?

The bottom line is the captain is always responsible. "Honest officer it was the auto pilot that was responsible."
OK then delete this one as another personal attack.Or are some fair game and others not?
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:58   #48

Boat: EliBit, Evolution 25
i was just reading an article about GPS black holes in the RYA magazine, very interesting.

they write about the hidden gaps in GPS receptions in some areas. like; Monterey bay in California, bay of Naples & Chesapeak bay. they also found out that this can be happening when passing close to navel vessel and in areas near to naval bases...

Radio Interference with GPS
bitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:41   #49
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

bitman, the URL you provide actually does not mention black holes at all. It ends with the blunt statement that the "failures" were confirmed to be caused by interference from the ship's own radio systems:

"After much trial and error and experimenting, we determined that the GPS signals were not being received on those particular headings only when a voice telephone call via Inmarsat A was being conducted "

There's nothing new, or specific to GPS, about that. Active transmitters have always created interference in other electronic systems and considering that GPS is designed to work with an extremely weak signal--it is very easy to swamp out that signal.

Same reason that you'll see a "NO TWO WAY RADIOS" sign in any blasting zone, the wires can act as antennas and pick up enough power to set off the explosives.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot