Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2017, 12:48   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Hf m802 to pc gps

Hi, just for clarity i know very little in regards to Hf and Hf setup.
Is it possible to hook the M802 up to my pc via the hf serial port to pc usb port in order to utilize the bu 353 gps that i use while running open cpn? I have a serial port adapter lead that i used to use for sat phone hook up to pc.

Thanks in advance.
Dale.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 15:27   #2

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36
Re: Hf m802 to pc gps

It might be possible, using something like Franson GPSGate, to share your gps puck output with both Opencpn and a usb serial port connected to the M802.
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 08:34   #3

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Hf m802 to pc gps

Dale,
I'm not sure I'm clear in what you are trying to accomplish??
Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Hi, just for clarity i know very little in regards to Hf and Hf setup.
Is it possible to hook the M802 up to my pc via the hf serial port to pc usb port in order to utilize the bu 353 gps that i use while running open cpn? I have a serial port adapter lead that i used to use for sat phone hook up to pc.
But, if you are trying to get GPS position data into the M-802???
Then this is fairly easy...
a) You can input NMEA0183 position data thru the "GPS" position connector (a BNC connector) on the M-802...or...

b) Or you can confirm you have the M-802's "REMOTE" connector configured to its default setting of "NMEA", and to use pin #3 (NMEA-in +) and pin #5 (NMEA-in -) to input your NMEA0183 position data...

How you get the NMEA position data out of your computer??
That is up to your computer/software and what cabling you have....

But, FYI....this "approach" to getting NMEA position data into the M-802 just seems like a boondoggle to me...
In my opinion, the most use of HF-DSC is going to be in Distress calling (or at least an Urgency call) and this is not the time to be worrying if your GPS puck is working, let alone that your computer (laptop?) is working, powered up, configured correctly, and the proper program is running correctly, as well as all the cables (USB, etc.) are all plugged-in securely...

I'm just saying that, while I assume whatever program you're using allows you to output NMEA GPS data, and that you could probably do so from a USB plug, and connect that to the M-802, in my opinion, it just seems like a round-about way of doing it...
A dedicated GPS receiver is cheap, works well, is easy to connect directly to the DSC radios, and can be left running 24/7....in my opinion, it's just a better approach...

Of course, the decision is yours...

Fair winds..

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps