Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2013, 16:03   #1

Boat: Dean Oceancomber 10M
Hand held GPS

What should I be looking for? What would you recommend? Is the most expensive worth it? Are there already posts on this subject?
captainwireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 16:20   #2

Boat: Sea Sprite 34
Re: Hand held GPS

I use a very basic Garmin 72 and have seen others with the same. Basic, reliable and fairly inexpensive.
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 16:30   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

We use the most basic Garmin 72 and 76. Now 72 became a 72H. I love all of them. I would buy again.

Simple, reliable, sturdy toys.

Some newer units can see GLONASS sats. Our smarphone (Samsung) can. I know newer Garmins do too.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 16:41   #4

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

I use a very basic Garmin 72 and have seen others with the same. Basic, reliable and fairly inexpensive.
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 17:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainwireman View Post
Are there already posts on this subject?
Yes. Have you tried the search engine?

Features: built-in charts so you don't need to buy them or decide to go #s only and use a paper chart. $$ doesn't always mean quality (not all sales are bargains and not all bargains are sales).

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 17:40   #6

Boat: csy 37

i've been using bottom of the line garmins, like the 72, for many years. i actually have three right now - people sell them cheap when they upgrade to something fancier.

that and paper charts take me everywhere i want to go.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 05:46   #7

We have a used Garmin etrex Vista (small monochrome GPS with very basic chart) as our "get us home!" GPS, and an older Lowrance handheld ($15 at a flea market) that's mounted on the boat as a 'speedometer' and waypoint pointer thing.

If we were in the market, i think I would look for a used Garmin GPS 72 or 76. As mentioned - alot of bang for the buck.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 06:59   #8

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
We use the most basic Garmin 72 and 76. Now 72 became a 72H. I love all of them. I would buy again.

Simple, reliable, sturdy toys.

Some newer units can see GLONASS sats. Our smarphone (Samsung) can. I know newer Garmins do too.

b.
Interesting. I wanted the most capable, fastest-acquiring, USB-connectable, non-charting handheld GPS I could find. The Garmin 72H fit that bill admirably. I don't think it's a popular model, but I wanted something I could link to a laptop AND mount at a helm as a standalone. I tend to create waypoints (with proper distance off) on paper charts and then plonk them into the GPS...no plotter needed when I'm not actually near land.

I like the 72H for this quite a bit.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 07:29   #9
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

i love my Garmin Colorado 400c,

here it is at work.
Sailing a ketch - YouTube
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 13:32   #10

Boat: Dean Oceancomber 10M

Oh, the search engine on the top of this page? Duhh!
I always used the cheapest Gecko. It found the entrance to my marina in the thick fog and my hotel in Chiang Mai. Always better pretending you are dialing a number on what looks like a cell phone than fumbling with a map when the local thugs are eying you.
I have no experience with a chart plotter. Just what are the advantages/disadvantages? I plan a coastal up from Guatemala to Texas. I plan on single-handling and anchoring as many nights as is possible and I have as much experience in these waters as I have finding search engines!
I am considering the extra for a Garmin 78. Watcha thinkin' 'bout that one?

Thanks to all.
captainwireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 14:13   #11

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Interesting. I wanted the most capable, fastest-acquiring, USB-connectable, non-charting handheld GPS I could find. The Garmin 72H fit that bill admirably. I don't think it's a popular model, but I wanted something I could link to a laptop AND mount at a helm as a standalone. I tend to create waypoints (with proper distance off) on paper charts and then plonk them into the GPS...no plotter needed when I'm not actually near land.

I like the 72H for this quite a bit.
I do exactly the same. I use a laptop with EasyGPS to type the waypoints and then load them to the 72H in one go - much quicker than entering them directly. Some functions on the 72 aren't that intuitive - I liked my old 12 better in that respect but it died.
Geoff54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 14:53   #12

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff54 View Post
Some functions on the 72 aren't that intuitive - I liked my old 12 better in that respect but it died.

i agree with that! the old garmin 12 (i still have two of them) was completely intuitive - must have been designed by some engineers from Apple. my newer 72 may have a few advantages over the 12, but entering waypoints is not one of them...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 10:37   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
i agree with that! the old garmin 12 (i still have two of them) was completely intuitive - must have been designed by some engineers from Apple. my newer 72 may have a few advantages over the 12, but entering waypoints is not one of them...
I can't get my garmin gps 12 to work on any of my computers with opencpn whats the secret?
thanks
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 11:45   #14

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
I can't get my garmin gps 12 to work on any of my computers with opencpn whats the secret? thanks
Do you have the output set to NEMA or Garmin?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 11:51   #15

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I used a Garmin Montana as my primary in the cockpit GPS from the Turks and Caicos, up through the Bahamas and back to Florida. Screen size, weatherproofness, available maps, and a mount are some of the features I'd consider. The Garmin maps are much more reliable in the Bahamas for example.

I owned a Garmin 76 for a while which was cheaper, functions similarly but had a smaller screen.

For $30, the same gamin maps for Ipad and Iphone along with the free garmin app were a nice back up, and a few times I used my Ipad in the cockpit due to it's much larger screen size.

I should add, I've never owned a handheld GPS in which the connection to plug in directly didn't eventually corrode. My Montana had two charging systems, so once the mount to cigarette lighter corroded, I resorted to charging it inside with the mini usb port option so it would be fully charged for the next day, keeping the rubber seal over the port when outside.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps