Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 07:51   #16

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Globalstar SatPhone Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayH View Post
Thanks for the info. The unlimited plan is only for the new phone, correct? And it includes text & data? What about incoming calls/messages? I haven't been able to answer these questions myself by looking at their site.

Does anybody else think its dumb to have the Call Times tool online? Like I'm going to check the Internet for a good time to call, then walk outside and use my satellite phone? It seems to me that the Call Times tool is useless if you're in the middle of the ocean, and it should be available offline.

You can use a pre-owned phone with this program... I asked the same questions to Globalstar directly last year.

I would love some application that I could download for the call times too. I wasn't concerned with calling, but I wanted to be able to send data and get GRIB files.
Matt Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:57   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Is it believed that the quality of service of Globalstar will ever come back up to some kind of decent level?

I ask not out of idle curiosity, but because I inherited from the previous owner of my boat a fairly elaborate fixed installed Globalstar phone. I periodically wonder whether I should rip it out and toss it.
Yes, it's already gotten significantly better. As I said they are hoping to have all of the launches complete by first/second quarter of next year. Keep in mind that Globalstar does not have world wide coverage and that the unlimited plan is only for the "Home area" which includes the US/Canada/most of the Caribbean. Once the network is back up, you should expect to have constant coverage in these areas.
SPDirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:59   #18

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDirect View Post
Yes, it's already gotten significantly better. As I said they are hoping to have all of the launches complete by first/second quarter of next year. Keep in mind that Globalstar does not have world wide coverage and that the unlimited plan is only for the "Home area" which includes the US/Canada/most of the Caribbean. Once the network is back up, you should expect to have constant coverage in these areas.

That is a great deal for anyone staying the Caribbean. I wanted to go this route, but without knowing for sure that we are staying just there, I have to pick another carrier.
Matt Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:03   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Yes, they don't offer anything so good over here. I just checked. The unlimited plan is 35 euros a month plus VAT (about $55), and it seems to expire at the end of the year. Or you can have an "access" plan for 10 euros a month plus VAT (about $20) plus you pay for every minute. Not so cheap.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:11   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
That is a great deal for anyone staying the Caribbean. I wanted to go this route, but without knowing for sure that we are staying just there, I have to pick another carrier.
Or do Globalstar for a year, then get something else when you leave the Caribbean. Still a good deal.

Quote:
Keep in mind that Globalstar does not have world wide coverage and that the unlimited plan is only for the "Home area" which includes the US/Canada/most of the Caribbean. Once the network is back up, you should expect to have constant coverage in these areas.
I wonder what this means? Are parts of the Caribbean not included in the plan, or they just don't currently have coverage, or they never will? Which parts? I'd want coverage all the way down to Grenada, then all the way across to Panama, and up the coast to Belize and Mexico. If Cuba is the issue, I don't care about that.
JayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:14   #21

Quote:
Thanks for the info. The unlimited plan is only for the new phone, correct? And it includes text & data? What about incoming calls/messages? I haven't been able to answer these questions myself by looking at their site.

Does anybody else think its dumb to have the Call Times tool online? Like I'm going to check the Internet for a good time to call, then walk outside and use my satellite phone? It seems to me that the Call Times tool is useless if you're in the middle of the ocean, and it should be available offline.
You can use any Globalstar phone on the unlimited plan. It includes incoming texts and data, as well as incoming calls. These phones are not capable of outgoing texts.

It is silly that you have to go online to get the Call Times. The best suggestion I have is if you know you will be using the phone, go online and print out the call times. It will give you the times for the next few days. The times will not be the same every day. If you are not able to get the times online, when you want to use the phone, you can just turn it on and set it outside with a clear view to the sky. It will tell you when you have a signal. The gaps tend to be anywhere from 3-40 minutes.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:20   #22

Quote:
I wonder what this means? Are parts of the Caribbean not included in the plan, or they just don't currently have coverage, or they never will? Which parts? I'd want coverage all the way down to Grenada, then all the way across to Panama, and up the coast to Belize and Mexico. If Cuba is the issue, I don't care about that.
Cuba is not covered. Parts of the lower Caribbean are on the fringe of coverage, and it looks like the areas around Panama and Belize will not have much, if any coverage until later in 2012. You can look at the coverage map on the Globalstar website and I think this will help you alot.
Old 01-12-2011, 14:53   #23

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
We got this phone in the US because we wanted to sign up for the $20 monthly Caribbean plan. But, after we bought the phone, we found out that the $20 plan is only for those with a US credit card and US address. Aussie credit cards are not accepted. Any non-Americans face this same issue? How did you get around it and sign up for the $20 plan?

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:05   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
We got this phone in the US because we wanted to sign up for the $20 monthly Caribbean plan. But, after we bought the phone, we found out that the $20 plan is only for those with a US credit card and US address. Aussie credit cards are not accepted. Any non-Americans face this same issue? How did you get around it and sign up for the $20 plan?
I'm not sure the best way to get around it, but the reason they will only sign up people with a US address/credit card on the $20/month plan, is because this plan is only unlimited when used within the "home area", which consists of US/Canada/Caribbean. We have had several Canadian customers get on this plan, but they have to fill out a special Canadian Service agreement. My guess is that they would have a different form for different countries. You should be able to call Globalstar and get a straight answer.

Tags
Globalstar, globalstar