Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2016, 09:46   #16

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Getting MMSI for handheld without a boat

Forget registering it legally, unless you want to wait another 5 years or so while the FCC gets around to it.

The DSC emergency button on the VHF WILL NOT WORK unless you put an MMSI in.

If you get an MMSI from BoatUS and hit the red button in the Caribbean or anywhere elese, you will get DSC alarms going off all over the place--not only in the local authorities, but in every DSC equipped boat and ship around you. The alarms will say you are in distress and give your exact position. Every VHF radio operator around you alarmed and their radio will be switched to CH 16. If you don't hear someone calling you, put out a MAYDAY call on CH 16. No one is going to ignore you because you're not in the international registry.

The FCC specifically authorizes you to break the rules in an emergency, so I don't think you will be doing any jail time.

If it was me, I'd get the BoatUS MMSI.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:29   #17

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Forget registering it legally, unless you want to wait another 5 years or so while the FCC gets around to it.

The DSC emergency button on the VHF WILL NOT WORK unless you put an MMSI in.

If you get an MMSI from BoatUS and hit the red button in the Caribbean or anywhere elese, you will get DSC alarms going off all over the place--not only in the local authorities, but in every DSC equipped boat and ship around you. The alarms will say you are in distress and give your exact position. Every VHF radio operator around you alarmed and their radio will be switched to CH 16. If you don't hear someone calling you, put out a MAYDAY call on CH 16. No one is going to ignore you because you're not in the international registry.

The FCC specifically authorizes you to break the rules in an emergency, so I don't think you will be doing any jail time.

If it was me, I'd get the BoatUS MMSI.
Thank you Donald! I think this is the answer. I don't plan on using DSC in the Caribbean unless there is an emergency. In that case, the distress DSC will alert other ships in the vicinity and display my location. If it's a true emergency, I'm not going to be worrying about FCC rules. I did get my restricted operators license. Easy to do on the FCC web site: answer a few questions and pay $70.00
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:20   #18

I charter sailboats in various areas. Because you never know what the equipment status will be, I have my own VHF and GPS just in case.

I went to the web site for the United States Power Squadron Home . There I requested a new MMSI number.

I used Sailboat as the name and my cell phone number as the vessel wireless number, radio installation as Hand Held Portable, and in notes stated "I do not own a boat. I charter sailboats when needed". Of course I filled out the other appropriate info.

The key thing is they do not require a boat registration number.
Then clicked “Add to registration” I received the MMSI number almost instantly.
Modivator is offline   Reply With Quote