Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2012, 01:56   #16

Re: Geonav Autopilot Reviews ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I'll see if I can't talk them into replacing the blue LED with a red one.
Make sure you like red. Some french cars have red gauges at night, they are very hard on the eyes, I would definitley not consider any red lighting.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 06:37   #17

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I agree with Chala. You may be going from a too bright blue to a too bright red, which won't be any better. Unless it has a dimmer, I would just disconnect the light. The knob provides excellent tactile feedback and is positioned in a good place for a user interface. I don't think you will have any problem finding it in the dark - particularly with the large lit display directly above it.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 10:54   #18

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Everything else is illuminated with red, the knotmeter, the depth, and the compass. But good point, it's not like any light is needed to find the knob, nor is any needed to operate the knob and there's enough light from the display, even fully dimmed, to see whats happening.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 06:24   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I see no reason for a color display on this piece of equipment, nor do I see a need for all the "fluff" built into it.
I thought that this control head was looking great and contrast with Ray 6002 control head, which is pretty bland, and require the use of an MFD or a graphic display to take conveniently full advantage of the data provided by the autopilot. I like the wind mode on your unit, and it looks like most of the data displayed is programmable which appear to be better than a Ray “p70”.
One of the data that I found most useful to balance the boat is “Rudder” which is the magnitude of the pulse given to the rudder actuator by the autopilot to maintain the correct course. That Ray decided to display a correction to “Port?” with a – sign is confusing why not using a P? It would be interesting to know how your control head does provide this data (not to be confused with rudder angle).
It may take time to appreciate the features displayed on your control head, do not be too hasty in writing them off.
By the way do you know a way of downloading the manual from Geonav? I have tried without success. May be I have to register?
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 06:48   #20

It's true, there is a lot of useful information on the control head, but the overall execution was done by someone whom either has never used an autopilot on a boat, or never used one for extended periods at night.
My only major complaints are the overall execution/presentation of the data. When in standby there is a microscopic (2-3 pixels) tall bar at the bottom of the display that displays rudder angle, once switched to auto it displays the amount of correction the unit intends to maintain to hold course, ie when there's a bit of weather helm the bar will indicate a 5 degree correction while the wheel continues to drive to overcome puffs and seas.
There are also data boxes on the display, the main numerical display is the set course, then above that are very small digits, I have one set up to display the magnetic heading and the other to display SOG.
Overall, I am pleased with the pilot, but the amount of graphical fluff confuses the useful presentation of data I personally see no reason to have approx 25% of the display taken up by red and green triangles that do nothing other than indicate port and starboard (not any indication of movement or rudder activity just something to fill the corners).
As for the manual it's here
http://www.geonavmarine.com/uploaded...topilot(1).pdf
Old 13-07-2012, 20:16   #21

Boat: Bristol 41.1

If Sailmonkey is still around...

Could you discuss the installation issues interfacing this unit with another manufacturer's drive?

I am also looking to upgrade an existing 1980's Cetek Benmar drive with a modern computer and head unit and would like to know what I am getting into.

Does everything play well together? Are any translators or gateways required? Is all the control wiring 0-12V or 4-20ma?

Are cables included with the package? This was the GeoNav Model 700047-1 with GSC110 Control Head, SCP110 30A computer, rate gyro, fluxgate compass and rudder feedback unit correct?

Appreciate any feedback.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 18:08   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
If Sailmonkey is still around...

Could you discuss the installation issues interfacing this unit with another manufacturer's drive?

I am also looking to upgrade an existing 1980's Cetek Benmar drive with a modern computer and head unit and would like to know what I am getting into.

Does everything play well together? Are any translators or gateways required? Is all the control wiring 0-12V or 4-20ma?

Are cables included with the package? This was the GeoNav Model 700047-1 with GSC110 Control Head, SCP110 30A computer, rate gyro, fluxgate compass and rudder feedback unit correct?

Appreciate any feedback.
Every drive unit I've ever been exposed to on anything less than 100' long is polarity reversing. So for a benmar drive motor, all you'd need to do is plug in the course computer to all the supplied sensors, feed it NEMA from a GPS if desired, and attach your drive motor. The course computer outputs a clutch voltage (if needed), drive current (up to 30A) or a solenoid control and motor feed for larger constant running hydraulic pump pilots. A ton of cable comes with the package for everything but the power to the course computer, motor clutch, and drive motor feed. They even go so far as to provide mounting screws for everything.

As an aside GEONAV has been incredible to work with for the backlight problem I've had. They modded a control head with dim red led's and sent it to me to test. I'm sending my head back in to have the mod done (I LIKE IT). I can only imagine the response I'd have gotten from Raymarine if I wanted a nonstandard mod done to one of their control units!!
Old 15-07-2012, 20:52   #23
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
The main drawback now with geonav is the lack of NMEA 2000 integration

Dave
Old 17-03-2013, 11:48   #24

Are dealer recommendations for the geonav corepack allowed in the forum? I'm finding dealers online but upon ordering I'm informed the unit is unavailable. Would appreciate any help/suggestions.
kalistei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 06:19   #25

I have been informed the whole package has been rebranded to humminbird. There has been no other change to the autopilot though. My guess would be the package will be released again when the rebrand is complete

Tags
autopilot, reviews