Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2019, 11:38   #1

Boat: Columbia, 8.3 and 8.7 (1977)
Garmin Gwind

Is there anyone out there that uses the wired garmin gwind. The problem I'm having is the mast cable that runs from the mast transducer to the GND10 black box. That cable comes in 25 meter lengths only. I need to be able to disconnect at my mast at the deck when removing the mast. I could buy two 25 meter lengths of mast cable but there wouldn't be room in the mast to coil it up. What have others done to solve this problem.
weephee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 12:00   #2

Garmin Gwind

Christ. How tall is your mast??

I don’t think the black box is weather proof so you’re going to have to feed the cable though a deck gland or swan-neck if your mast is deck-stepped.

Buying two lengths to have a kind of deck level disconnect (and a lot of coiled cable) wouldn’t help as I believe they’re the same connection either end (to avoid the embarrassing situation of running a cable the wrong way) so you couldn’t use them as an extension.
benkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 15:32   #3

Re: Garmin Gwind

The length of mast is only 33 feet but having a deck gland or swan neck isn't
going to help if I remove the mast and have it stored elsewhere. I will check the mast cable ends to see if they are male and female. I don't understand why Garmin doesn't sell shorter lengths of mast cable. Surely someone here has been faced with this situation
Old 28-01-2019, 15:44   #4

Boat: 1985 Ericson 32-3

I assume you are deck stepped, not keel stepped. If so, see if this will work after you Google "waterproof electrical bulkhead fitting"

Connect the two cables and seal their connector.

Drop a plum string down the mast to pull the cable up from the bottom.

Pull the cable through the bulkhead fitting and down into the cabin wherever that hole is. You may need to create one and seal it.

Follow the other mast wiring above the cabin headliner or from the base of the compression post to your display. At some point in the route, typically in a locker, will be a location that you can loop the extra cable to have it and the box out of sight.

When you loop it, try to attach it to the inside top of the locker, so that items dropped in the locker don't damage it.
Checkswrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 19:32   #5

Boat: Cal 9.2 30 ft

I have a wired gwind. I used Garmin field installed connectors with my old mast cable from another brand wind meter. Works great.
krivanj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 08:35   #6

For information purposes, I finally solved my problem.Garmin sell a field installable connector (010 12117 01) for their mast cable. Originally when I called Garmin, the lady I talked to said it wouldn't work but after a few more calls and different people at Garmin, the connectors do work. 4 wire and 4 pin connector. Thanks all for your comments

Tags
garmin, wind