Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2009, 14:20   #1

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
Fuse Box or Not?

My wife and I moved to Grenada and agreed to buy a boat. We bought a 1983 Storebro Royal 33. Bought it from the original owner. Beautiful boat and am spending hours searching and constantly finding interesting hide aways.

One of the three bilge pumps is not working, the shower BP. Thought I would start easy and check the fuse. So I have two questions, my first is, do boats have fuse boxes. I have been all over the boat and have only found large fuses off of the batteries.

I have been in the panel box and impressed with seeing all of the wires completely numbered. I wish my house in Maine was so organized. The secound question is how do I get ahold of the numbering guide for the wires? Call Storebro?

Thanks.
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 15:11   #2

hmmmm, not sure you will find a numbering guide... but you might! It may be more likely that there is a number on each end of the wire in question tohelp identify it. The applicances should be fused, or at least have a Switch/breaker. Most commonly there will be a Breaker/switch maybe rated at 20 amps that feeds a number of items. So the Breaker may be labeled "electronics" and feed teh VHF radio, gps etc. You may find a small fuse holder in the wire at the back of the radio or where there is a pump etc.... depends. If your bilge pump has one of those little chrome panels with a switch and a red light, the red light itself or a red button may pop out when you push it exposing a fuse.... depends on the model.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2009, 01:58   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
I have been in the panel box and impressed with seeing all of the wires completely numbered. ... The secound question is how do I get ahold of the numbering guide for the wires? Call Storebro?
If someone went to all that trouble, there must also be a number guide and/or schematic around for the boat. Whether one can be found or not, one of the most valuable things a boat owner can do early on is to patiently follow all the wiring in his/her boat and draw up their own schematics and notes. Pays huge dividends down the road, and knowing the wiring adds to peace of mind. On the way, one learns a lot about their boat's other systems. An LED headlamp makes the job much easier.
clearsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 04:10   #4

Thanks for the help
Old 28-05-2009, 16:57   #5

I emailed the owner and he came back with where I can find the chart to explain all of the numbers.

Is it always this easy?
Old 07-06-2009, 12:54   #6

Boat: Storebro, Royal 33, Miola
Landonshows, I own a SR 33 for a couple of years and I have the electricity scheme for my boat, 1981 construction, so if you have any problem with getting the schematics let me know.
Cesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 19:20   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Landon, it is rarely that easy. Sounds like your boat was well built and well maintained!
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:12   #8

The boat was well built and very well maintained. I will have problems keeping it as clean as the prior owners. t has been owned by only one prior couple. They have been great. Thank you for your offer Cesco.

Any problems with the boat that were not normal?
Old 11-06-2009, 05:51   #9

Landon, I am owner nbr 5 and I had a hard time to put her back in shape, but it was only normal ageing developments. No special problems, she sails fabulous and can be quite fast, as I could appreciate after I changed sails. Now I am going to change the rigging and, by the way, could you tell me the size of stays and shrouds? I have an 8mm for them and it seems way too much for that mast and sails size. Do you need sailplan or original brochure of the boat?
Old 12-06-2009, 05:59   #10

I will look at the information that I have to see what size the stays and shrouds are. I do not recall if I have seen the measurements on any printed material. I will then measure.
Replacing the sails is on my list of things to do so the sail plans would be greatly appreciated. The brochure would be very interesting, I have not seen one.
Do you have the schematics in a digital file? I have a data sheet that identifies numbers that are attached to the wires
Old 13-06-2009, 10:06   #11

Landon, I think we have here a limit of 400KB for attachments. I need a way to send the sailplan and the brochure that both exceed that size (circa 850 each). Maybe an email address. I only have a data sheet with the identification of the numbers on the wires which is something I understand you have already. Thanks already for measuring the rigging.
Old 13-06-2009, 10:23   #12

dshaw@sgu.edu

I also have 1 by 19 stainless steel wire standing rigging, will measure
Old 13-06-2009, 15:11   #13

Cesco
The size of stays and shrouds are 8mm I believe. I don't have a set of mics, but measured with a mm ruler. I may be able to find a set of mics. If I can I will take another measurement.
Old 27-08-2014, 00:09   #14

Re: Fuse Box or Not?

Dear London, Cheechako and Clearseas.....
forgive my uninvited intrusion.....but I HAVE to ask you guys for advise.
I am in the process of buying a Storebro Royal Cruiser 33 but it is my first sailing boat and I am not certain I am making a good decision, There is no info on the net that I can find so ANY FEEDBACK would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Lucky from Croatia
Lucky Peraqnovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 04:21   #15

Re: Fuse Box or Not?

Fantastic boat! I have some of the original advertisements. We bought ours from the original owners 6 years ago, regret nothing!!! I hit a reef 8 months ago and on most boats it would have been disaster. I did have major damage, but was able to get to a marina and haul out. Give mr your email and I will give you as much info and pictures as you need.

I have haul 60, the last built and sail with a friend a few times a year that had haul 1.

Prior owners had it 26 years and lived on it 23.

Where are you

Dave, Aloisius

Tags
fuses