Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2011, 18:31   #1

Boat: Garry Lidgard Design Catamaran, 49'
Experience with Maretron WSO100 Wind System

I'm in the process of adding the electronic systems for our new catamaran (49 foot Garry Lidgard design). I have specd the Maretron WSO100 Ultrasonic Wind and Weather System to drive a Furuno NavPilot500 autopilot. I have received some feedback that the Maretron system is not a reliable source of wind info for an autopilot and that I should instead go with a more conventional anemometer and vane system. The concerns voiced included issues during tacks and even concern regarding increased chance of lightning strike due to the large copper cable going to the masthead for the Maretron.

Are there folks that could share their experience with a Maretron WSO100?

Thanks!
Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 19:20   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Re: Experience with Maretron WSO100 Wind System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I'm in the process of adding the electronic systems for our new catamaran (49 foot Garry Lidgard design). I have specd the Maretron WSO100 Ultrasonic Wind and Weather System to drive a Furuno NavPilot500 autopilot. I have received some feedback that the Maretron system is not a reliable source of wind info for an autopilot and that I should instead go with a more conventional anemometer and vane system. The concerns voiced included issues during tacks and even concern regarding increased chance of lightning strike due to the large copper cable going to the masthead for the Maretron.

Are there folks that could share their experience with a Maretron WSO100?

Thanks!
We have one on our mast now, but I just got it up and running this week. It seems to be working fine, but I don't have it interfaced with an AP yet, as we still have a NMEA 0183 wheel pilot. I hope we can scrounge up the finds for a below decks pilot sometime soon.

Where did you read/hear about the tacking issue? What exactly is the issue? I would be interested in reading that. About the copper in the mast, that sounds a bit suspect to me, people have been putting wires up masts for lights, radio, wind instruments, etc for a long time, just how is a NMEA 2000 cable any different?

Chris

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 22:09   #3

Re: Experience with Maretron WSO100 Wind System

I concur with Chris.. I have one on my Pearson 424 and love it.

I have several posts about it in my blog: S/V Deep Playa – Pearson 424 search results: WSO100

-p