Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2016, 10:46   #1

DRS4D Frequency Band Question

I have a question regarding the Furuno DRS4D frequency band. When looking at the Radar Function specs there are two numbers related to frequency, so I am not sure which I should use to determine if the Furutno DRS4D is an X-Band or S-Band radar and if it is considered a Very-High Frequency (VHF) radar or an Ultra-High Frequency (UHF) radar . The numbers listed in the installation manual are:

Tx Frequency: 9410 +/-30 MHz, P0N
Intermediate Frequency: 60 MHz

Does anyone know the difference between the two and which I use to determine frequency designation?

Direction to any useful resources would also be appreciated.
BTougher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:03   #2

Re: DRS4D Frequency Band Question

... X-Band ... The unit operates between 9300 and 9500MHz (http://www.furunousa.com/ProductDocu...%20RTR-092.pdf).

The 60MHz is an intermediate frequency (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermediate_frequency)

Why are you asking?

Regards,

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:21   #3

Hi Carsten,

Thank you for the rapid response. I thought it was X-Band but wanted to verify. I am interested in the safety aspects of the Furuno DRS4D and was hoping to develop clarity on the frequency wavelength. I wasn't clear if the radar was always operating at 9300 to 9500MHz or if it was operating at the intermediate frequency (60MHz) with short bursts of higher frequencies (9300 to 9500MHz).

Thanks again!
Old 12-01-2016, 12:08   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I think ALL small non commercial Radar for marine use is X band? Even the FMCW stuff?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:42   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarstenWL;2013782The 60MHz is an intermediate frequency ([url
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermediate_frequency[/url])
To simplify the Wiki entry, the intermediate frequency (IF) is used inside the radar, and has nothing to do with the transmitted or received radar frequency. It is a technical detail that might be used if one needed to repair the unit.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:45   #6

Thank you for the clarification Paul, very helpful!
Old 12-01-2016, 12:52   #7

Boat: Catalina 470

BTougher,
Carsten and A64 are both correct....
[EDIT: and Paul!]

All small-boat radar (anything up to "Mega-Yacht" size) is X-Band....only large vessels will typically have the room (or need) for S-Band radar and their 12' - 16' long rotating antennas...

As for the "safety aspects", Furuno, Raytheon, JRC, Honeywell, Garmin, etc. etc. etc. etc. for many years now, all have based their installation recommendations on the most stringent radiation / absorbed emissions standards available (typically US OSHA / FCC and EU CE standards), and as such installing the radar scanners using those recommendations results in no safety issues / hazards....remember with all of these pulse radars, the power specs are peak-pulsed power, so the average continuous power is in the range of milliwatts....
(FMCW radars, such as the Navico "3G" or "4G", have milliwatts of continuous average power...)

Bottom line: Don't place the radar scanner so that its beam will be in direct path of humans in close proximity....typically keeping the scanners 10' - 15' above deck is enough to keep all humans away from the beam..
(those power boats with the damn things mounted on the forward end of their "fly-bridge" always bothered me....but, I'm not a power-boater, so never saw the need to stir-the-pot...)

Hope this helps..

Fair winds..

John

Fair winds...
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc