Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 08:25   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Cutting a Radar Cable

I am going to be pulling my mast in the next few months. I have a Furuno 1821 MKII radar and will have to disconnect the cable. The PO had installed a plug on the cable and it worked fine. Right before I was leaving on the Baja HA HA last year the radar stopped working and it was the cable. Rather then try and track down the problem I replaced the cable and it now works fine. I had to run the new cable up the mast and it was a bit of a pain. In order to take the radar down now I would like to splice the wires to a block rather then pull the cable down the mast. Is this a good idea or not?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:47   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
This interesting, because I was thinking along the same line of thought. Then I thought of just pullling the stand pipe, and everything out through a bigger hole in the deck still in the mast........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:00   #3

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
I have cut my furuno radar cable and re-spliced it. The radar is working fine. You could use a junction box too so it would be easy to connect and disconnect. There were 9 copper wires and a coax.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:07   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
This interesting, because I was thinking along the same line of thought. Then I thought of just pullling the stand pipe, and everything out through a bigger hole in the deck still in the mast........i2f
The problem I have is that the end connector at the radar will not go thru the same path as the cable. I removed the connector at the radar dome as it is easy to remove and reinstall. This would be a different situation on different boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckosenator View Post
I have cut my furuno radar cable and re-spliced it. The radar is working fine. You could use a junction box too so it would be easy to connect and disconnect. There were 9 copper wires and a coax.
I think that I would use a terminal block to do it. I still have the length of cable that runs from the radar CRT to the mast base (as I didn't have time to remove it) in place. The new cable had to take a different route because it was shorter. I'll look at the boat and see if I have enough slack to do put in some kind of junction.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 12-11-2010, 09:12   #5

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer
here is what the previous owner did for our furuno radar. works quite well

Paul

phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:17   #6

That is exactly what I was thinking of doing. If I had been smart I would have tried doing that before replacing the other cable because the broken part was probably in the connector that they used.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 12-11-2010, 09:23   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 409
The Garmin systems use RJ-45 and 8 wire twisted pair cable. That is regular CAT-5 cable. Just keep the twisted pairs twisted up to the terminal block partitions to retard interference.
capbillh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar