Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2014, 06:49   #46

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Re: Crappy wifi solutions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
You could certainly do that. You would need cooperation from the marina and the local telco. You can make it easier by putting the DSL modem (or alternatively a cable modem) and a small WiFi router in a dock box. When you get back to your slip that is one less wire to connect - it just works.
I thought about that, but there isn't really a way to run the cables from the connector into the dock box itself. There are even two power outlets, so if I could solve the cable run issue...
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 07:03   #47

Boat: Liberty 458
Re: Crappy wifi Solutions?

The biggest issue with marina WiFi is congestion and not signal strength.

Cellular or hardwired to the dock are your best options.

Using bittorrent based backup works fine overnight on our marina WiFi. Less congestion overnight and bittorrent deals with dropped packets very well.

Real time good WiFi in a marina is pretty rare.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 12:43   #48

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
I thought about that, but there isn't really a way to run the cables from the connector into the dock box itself. There are even two power outlets, so if I could solve the cable run issue...
Not sure why that would be a problem. Run power and signal (phone or cable) down the pylon and along (or under) the dock to the bottom of the dock box. Drill a hole in the bottom of the dock box. A small shelf high up on one side of the box for a power strip, the DSL or cable modem, and your WiFi router. Configure the router and you should be set.

Part of configuration is picking the most appropriate WiFi channel. A tool like Netstumbler (free but only available for Windows) will give you a clear picture of your signal environment. Make sure you understand the overlapping channels in WiFi. Pick intelligently and you should be in good shape. Be prepared to resurvey periodically -- well managed community WiFi systems (like some marinas) will move their APs from channel to channel as they respond to interference from surrounding APs.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 13:53   #49
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

dan-
"You need a TV receiver and an outdoor antenna. " Not even an outdoor antenna. In many cities, a cheap $20-30 flat panel antenna works very nicely. Just plug it into the back of the TV and sometimes all you need to do is literally Velcro it on there.
The really shameful thing is that's a free HD feed, and cable companies often downgrade that feed and force you to pay EXTRA to get it back in HD again. Although, as I understand it, they're required to carry the feed and that should mean UNaltered.

Auspicious-
If I were going to ask a marina's cooperation to get a broadband feed into a small dockbox....I might encourage them by using a router than had the ability to run a "guest" access as well as the primary access, so they could offer free wifi and get something out of the deal. Assuming the router allowed the guest account to be throttled, so it wasn't all-consuming. Give 'em some incentive.
I think most cable companies would call that a commercial installation, though, and charge by the hour for the run from the main distribution point. Even residential installations only get so many feet of cable, and so much install time.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 14:03   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
If I were going to ask a marina's cooperation to get a broadband feed into a small dockbox....I might encourage them by using a router than had the ability to run a "guest" access as well as the primary access, so they could offer free wifi and get something out of the deal. Assuming the router allowed the guest account to be throttled, so it wasn't all-consuming. Give 'em some incentive.
I think most cable companies would call that a commercial installation, though, and charge by the hour for the run from the main distribution point. Even residential installations only get so many feet of cable, and so much install time.
I would just say I want Internet access in my slip and not talk about anything they don't need to know. As long as I can get DSL or cable to the pylon everything else is my concern. From their perspective there is no difference between the modem and router being on the boat and being in a dock box (as long as it is my dock box and not rented from the marina).

Keep the relationship simple - my connection, my configuration. YMMV.
Old 31-07-2014, 14:12   #51
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Simple, yes.

Maybe I've just heard too many places say "No" simply because that's the simplest way for them. No liability concerns, no questions about where the wire is running or why one guy has it and the next one doesn't...Or whether the cable company is going to want to bill them, since it is their dock...

Easiest way to do business these days is to just say "No" which is why I suggested throwing them a bone, so they get something out of it.

But if Google has their way, they'll be beaming satellite internet to all the third world countries from giant balloons or solar-powered aircraft and hey, aren't we one of the largest third world countries now? (sigh)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 14:28   #52

I understand your point hellosailor. My point is to try simple first. If that doesn't work get more creative.
Old 31-07-2014, 14:35   #53

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
A tool like Netstumbler (free but only available for Windows) will give you a clear picture of your signal environment.
KisMac is the equivalent to Netstumbler for Mac's.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 14:42   #54

Boat: a sailing boat

We have an external directional antenna and it helps loads. Now we are going for the bullet thing next.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 14:42   #55

Boat: Newell, 1998, 45'8"

We have the same issues living full-time in our motorhome. Campground wifi is pretty slow to unusable.
We've found Millenicom to be the best/cheapest solution. $90/month for 20Gb 4g service on the Verizon network. Not sure how their coverage is along the coast but worth looking into. We also use a Wilson Sleek cradle for boosting the mifi 291 signal.
WifiRanger has a marine wifi booster worth looking at if you have wifi nearby.
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 14:43   #56

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Of course you could just disconnect for a while and learn to love the fact that no one can contact you for a while.

Is anything that urgent that you need to be connected all the time? Do you have to answer that email, or SMS, or call? Do you really need to stream a TV show?

One of the nicest things I find about living on my boat is the fact I can shut off for a while and escape. Shut the laptop, airplane mode on the mobile, crack open a bottle of wine and totally relax.

Just an idea of course

Keiron

Oh and HOW much for 10GB?? I pay $10 (£15) for 9GB of full 3G speed on a contract data only package. The words Off and Rip spring to mind.
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 15:01   #57

Boat: Havsfidra 20

Hello,

My best advise would be to get a Yagi antenna. They are pretty cheap on Ebay (around $10). It is a high gain directional antenna that would extend your range quite a bit.

You might have to get an external USB wifi adapter with an antenna plug... Also pretty cheap online.

All you'll need to do is connect it and point the antenna towards the marina antenna, whereever the router is. Make sure you try with the antenna oriented vertically and horizontally. I mean the short cross elements, not the boom. Orientation (polarity) can make a big difference, up to 100X.

Gil.
gilgsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 19:29   #58

Re: Crappy wifi solutions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
One marina I was in let us sorta do out own thing.. what we did was get a phone connection/DSL then run the wires thru a piece of pvc pipe (we tied a plastic grocery sack to the wire, then used a shop vac to suck the bag 60 feet to the end).. then ran the wire up under the dock. I used my dingy to run the wire and staple it to the board under the dock.. worked like a charm.. to the point that other slipholders followed suit.. We eventually ran pvc pipe under the dock itself with U bolts. All of this private enterpise. All you need to do is think outside the box. I prefer DSL. Cable speed is directly proportional to how many people are online at any given time. Dsl is unique to the owner of the bill.

Zeehag, try to find Skip Grunlach and ask him about his wifi setup. If I remember right he was getting signals from a half mile or more away.
bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 19:31   #59

Quote:
I understand your point hellosailor. My point is to try simple first. If that doesn't work get more creative.
Dave is netstumbler only for desktop/laptops or is it good for tablets with wifi only? I tend to be on the tablet more these days than the leptop.
thanks, anne

nevermind... I did a search on googleplay no such animal but I did find
Wigle wifi wardriving. claims to have 140 million wifi networks cataloged worldwife.
http://wigle.net is the homepage..
bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 21:51   #60
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

unfortunately there is a difference between signals and connections.
the equipment is different , as antennae do signals, and the modem does the connectivity, i need to bypass the hotel modem, as that is pos and not working.
i HAVE excellent antennae, one of which is a 10 km rated ....lol... when they make a connection device functional in this situation, i willbe happy. my music is on puter, i have no longer got a radio --it died, and my momma is still alive--yes i am fortunate. i enjoy speaking with the lady on occasion, and skype is cheapest way to do this.
you can keep the tv bs.. that wasnt the original question, now, was it.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote