Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2010, 07:55   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardhula View Post
Obviously the Ericsson's . . . range, connectivity & flexibility would be greater, but have to ask are these needed on a boat?
In a word, yes, these are needed on a boat. You can connect a serious external antenna to the Ericsson (or Globesurfer, same thing at half the cost). And the radio section of the Ericsson and Globesurfer is more robust than your cell phone. We got much better range and reception with our Globesurfer than with my cell phone even without the external antenna.

In practice the cost is much more than $500 because you have wiring, power supply, and antenna to buy and install. It's not a cheap or easy solution but it's worth it for those of us who need comms (I'm not retired and I need to be in touch; YMMV).

A regular cell phone is often without a signal where we cruise.

And the built in WiFi in laptops is pathetic, to the point of being almost unusable on a boat. Here the need for a serious fixed device is even much greater.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:48   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Wow that's pricey. There are other such devices available for 1/5th the cost. Here is one (haven't used it) Amazon.com: Netgear 3G Mobile Broadband Router (Black): Electronics
The difference is that the Ericsson unit supports both data and voice. While many routers support voice via VOIP some people may prefer voice over 3G. With the Ericsson you just plug any old telephone into it and voila, you have simultaneous data and voice.

I'm commissioning our new boat now with an Ericsson W35 and a Uniden two handset waterproof wireless phone system. The phones will work as, well, phones, but also as a high quality intercom - between, for instance, the helm and the galley.
RoyHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:13   #18

Boat: Pearson, 33, Blithe Spirit
I would like more details from you if possible. We are new at this and very inexperienced when it comes to providers, service, etc. We just would like to be able to have internet access while sailing down the ICW this winter. After checking into the imax and wifi and other providers, noone seems to be able to give me specifics if their coverage area is on the waterway or not. We have cell service with ATT and would be willing to get an iphone if this will allow us internet service while sailing. If you want to discuss this further, please email me at:beaglesmith :at: msn :dot: com I would love to hear about your service or anyone else's who definitely works....thanks
sailor153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:36   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyHB View Post
The difference is that the Ericsson unit supports both data and voice. While many routers support voice via VOIP some people may prefer voice over 3G. With the Ericsson you just plug any old telephone into it and voila, you have simultaneous data and voice.
The same with the Globesurfer.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 12:02   #20

Boat: St. Francis 44 Mk II (Catamaran)
Send a message via Skype™ to SoggyPaws
Re: Cell 3G Router Aboard

Here's an update that's a better option for those of you who don't have a fancy (expensive) cell phone on an expensive monthly plan.

Since about September 2010, Virgin Wireless has been offering a Pay As You Go (PAYG) plan for $40/mo for unlimited 3G Data

It uses the same network as Sprint, so the coverage ought to be the same. I do NOT beleive it is usable overseas, to the best of my knowledge, but I may be wrong.

This is 'Wireless Broadband Data' over a cellular network. As described in the posts above, it isn't blazingly fast, but it is adequate for most people's basic internet needs (email, web browsing, Windows Updates, a few reasonable downloads).

Since it is cellular-based, coverage isn't perfect. But in most places where there is good cell coverage, the signal is good and the service is faster and more stable than some borrowed wifi I can pick up. And the big benefit is that I can use it anywhere (in the car, on the beach, even when there are no wifi signals). You should check your theoretical coverage on the Virgin site or the Sprint site. AND when you buy the device, make sure you check your ACTUAL coverage where you mainly think you'll use it, and return the device if you don't get the coverage. This would suggest that maybe the best place to buy one is at Walmart or Best Buy, where you can return it.

I bought my Virgin Wireless device online from Amazon.com, but you can walk in and buy them, I think at Walmart and Best Buy, etc. I think I paid $80 including shipping (but I see it is now selling from that seller for only $ 65!! --probably because there are faster 4G devices for sale now ). Then when you get it, you activate it online (a little quirky, but I managed) and give it a credit card to debit the $40/mo from (but it is not a plan, but a PAYG ,so each month you need to go put another $40 in. Or you can put it on automatic, I think.
Amazon.com: Virgin Mobile Broadband2Go Wireless USB Adapter - Black (VMMC76NTKIT160): Electronics

The second thing I got is called a Cradlepoint CTR500 Travel Router

In October 2010, I bought mine from 3GStore, and paid a little more, because they were shipping the v2 hardware, which supports 4G (faster) devices. I don't have a 4G device, but maybe next year??? They are also available from Amazon.com

Amazon.com: CTR500 Travel Router.

It supports MANY 3G and 4G devices, from many vendors and several cell companies, including the Virgin Wireless, Sprint, Verison, and ATT devices. Once you get your device activated and working on your PC, you just plug it into the USB port on the PWS and it makes the connection and then you have a local wifi hotspot that allows up to 16 connections.

You can set security (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2), name the hotspot, enable or disable a second level logon screen, and set the power (Low Med High) which controls how far it will broadcast. With this device on one boat, you could probably share usage across 2 boats near each other. (Get your neighbor in a marina to pay you $10 or $20 for usage and YOUR usage is then much cheaper).

Unlike the data stick, it was easy to set up and configure (a little past experience with setting up a router is helpful, but not necessarily required).

There is an external antenna connection available on our device , but I haven't tried to get an external antenna.

The benefit of using the Cradlepoint device and separate data stick (versus the new 'mifi' devices offered by the cell companies is that you can upgrade the device itself, and change carriers etc. With the typical 'mifi' device, its all integrated into one device and when you change carriers, you throw it away and get a new one.

You can also pull the data stick from your router, and more easily take it with you, for continuous on-the-go internet access.
SoggyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote