Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2014, 16:26   #1

Boat: LAGOON 440
CAN I FREE UP MY ANENOMETER?

Hi All,
Having in ignorance lubricated my Raymarine anemometer with CRC (), I now find that the residue has gone sticky and is inhibiting the cups from turning at light wind speeds. I know this as the same anemometers on the boats adjacent to mine are all turning, whilst mine appears to be stuck until the wind speed increases.
I have since learnt that the anemometer should never be lubricated, and I'm hoping that there may be somebody out there who can suggest a way of cleaning the CRC residue out of the instrument. Perhaps a degreasing spray??
All suggestions gratefully received, and thank you in advance.
Savanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 16:37   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: CAN I FREE UP MY ANENOMETER?

Take it down and carefully take it apart. It can be totally disassembled. If you have wrecked the plastic bits you can replace the vane. You may find parts less than at WE$T marine at Wolf's in Benton Harbor. Staff is very helpful. Home Page Call, huge inventory not listed on the site.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 17:50   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Liberally spray contact cleaner in it until it is dripping. Then do it again. This should help to remove the CRC stuff (you did not say which one you used) and the residual contact cleaner will evaporate quickly. I doubt there is any damage to the plastic stuff and most likely the CRC did not make its way into the actual bearings - just gummed up the outside works.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 18:19   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savanna View Post
Hi All,
Having in ignorance lubricated my Raymarine anemometer with CRC (), I now find that the residue has gone sticky and is inhibiting the cups from turning at light wind speeds. I know this as the same anemometers on the boats adjacent to mine are all turning, whilst mine appears to be stuck until the wind speed increases.
I have since learnt that the anemometer should never be lubricated, and I'm hoping that there may be somebody out there who can suggest a way of cleaning the CRC residue out of the instrument. Perhaps a degreasing spray??
All suggestions gratefully received, and thank you in advance.
Try a little (very little) brake cleaner on a small part of the anemometer to see if it affects it in any noticeable way. If not, try cleaning it with the brake cleaner. Similarly you could try carburettor cleaner but realise both can be aggressive.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 13:46   #5

Boat: LAGOON 440

Hi Wotname, Colemj and Nicholson58,
Many thanks indeed for your responses to my query and being prepared to share your experiences and expertise. I hadn't realised that the anemometer unit could be taken apart, so I'll climb the mast and check that out first. If that doesn't get me anywhere I'll try the brake cleaner.
Savanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 17:51   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW,

Our Horizon masthead unit is now over 20 years old. The bearings are likely pretty well worn, and at times it starts to drag and not start up easily. Sound familiar?

Contrary to what you learned, we have quite successfully lubricated that anemometer using Inox, one of the ubiquitous spray lubes found everywhere down here down under. The treatment lasts a year or so, and no gumming has been observed.

As far as cleaning your gummed up unit, alcohol might well work, will not harm anything in the anemometer and is inexpensive and readily available.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 20-03-2014, 21:04   #7

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Yes, a few rums and you won't care about that thing anymore…

Jim probably meant alcohol for the instrument and not you, though. And he probably didn't mean rum…

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 23:33   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Yes, a few rums and you won't care about that thing anymore…

Jim probably meant alcohol for the instrument and not you, though. And he probably didn't mean rum…

Mark
Hmmm... yes, pretty sloppy of me!

Here in Oz "meths" (methylated spirits, or in Yank talk, denatured alcohol) which is ethyl alcohol with a few percent of methyl added for your gustatory pleasure is commonly available, even in supermarkets. It would work well, as would isopropyl.

Rum has too damn much sugar in it and would likely gum things up worse... and besides, you might get splinters of glass or plastic in your tongue.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 30-03-2014, 15:22   #9

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"

The techs at Raymarine recommend WD 40.
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 18:17   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete the Cat View Post
The techs at Raymarine recommend WD 40.
Trust me, like government experts, their techs are wrong on this. WD40 is NOT a lubricant. It is a solvent with heavy gooey, glue-like grease. As the solvent leaves, the viscosity increases and the residue gets sticky. I learned this first when I raced bicycles. I took 20 minutes off my 5-hour ride the day I switched to 40 wt. oil. Later, I used WD40 to coat engine parts to prevent rust until I was ready to build the engine. By then, the crank was coated in a cosmoline like tar.

Totally clean it and use nothing or some dry lube like teflon or silicone. Make sure the propellant does not damage the plastic.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote