Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2015, 14:57   #61

Boat: H36
Re: Binoculars? Which ones? Heeeellllpppp!

Is it not more important to how well binoculars resolve out a image than compass read ?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 15:04   #62

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Doug View Post
Is it not more important to how well binoculars resolve out a image than compass read ?

Interesting point. I prefer no compass, but keep a cheap pair of compass equipped binos onboard for taking bearings.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 15:05   #63

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
They are both important.

A good pair of compass binocs make a superior hand bearing compass, and so fulfill both purposes.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 15:27   #64
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

OK, I had a very weird day!

B&H wouldn't return some bung headphones this morning so I wasn't in a good frame of mind when their staff had zero product knowledge of binoculars.

Their prices:
Fujinon $619
Steiner navigator $499
Steiner commander $1,187

The Striners at West Marine were $380 incl tax (see post below).

West Marines were 90% light, the Fuji 94% but no compass light; the Steiner commander also 94% and the best but expensive.

The price difference was so dramatic and the B&H sales price so woeful that I kept thinking $1,300 incl tax equals AUsie $1,850. What it I dump them overboard? Or drop them down the companionway?

So I went the West Marine Stieners.

Just checked them in low light and there are as good as my old ones so they are fine.

Yes the better ones are better but why pay an extra $1,000 USD?

Thanks for everyone's advice.
It was a different outcome than I expected!

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
"West Marine has West Marine branded Steiner 7x 50's for $399 and exact same West Marine 7x 50's not Steiner for $599. Sounds weird!"

The Steiner's are being replaced by the West Marine Binos though essentially they are the same bino, just branded differently. If you choose the Steiners, now is the time to buy them. West Marine has a sale going on and there is an additional $50 off ($50 off any purchase over $300, less off of smaller purchases), thus bringing them to $350 plus tax or about $381 with tax.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 15:53   #65

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHO View Post
I do have Canon DSLRs with several of their stabilised long lenses which can do good duty as stabilised telescopes. Often better than non stabilised binoculars but not as good as Canons's stabilised binoculars.
Same here. I also often quickly take few pictures of the target, and then look at them at the back screen of the camera. Those still pictures are very stable (by definition) and I can easily zoom in to pixel level. This technique often gives better results than trying to see the target through a binocular.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 15:54   #66

Boat: Baba 40

I have the Steiner Commander (7x50, stabilized) and consider them a jewel. If you get 'em, you'll need to modify the 'usual' teak storage box to accommodate the compass module. Three minutes with a saw should do it.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 15:54   #67
Marine Service Provider

Bought the best west marine with compass and light. Lifetime warranty. Used it after 10 years or more and all I had to do is take it to a store and they gave me new.

I don't normally recommend them, but this worked great.
svJasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 15:55   #68

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankersteve View Post
Uncivilized mentioned it but the Steiners are at least not the Army's choice of binos anymore - they now use Fujinon. For the price, the top Fujinon (a link was previously posted) have exceptional light gathering ability and are very solidly constructed. Personally, I have seen fewer broken Fujinon than Steiners in heavy mechanized units where both models tended to see a ton of abuse. Also, the armor coating on the Fujinon seem to last longer. However, my opinion is only based on about 5 or 6 company sized units, with anywhere from 20 to 100 binoculars per unit, so others may have a different perspective. And none of these incorporated a compass.

Tankersteve
The army M22 Fujinons are one of the smaller Fujinons... final assembly is undertaken in the US by Kama-Tech and NorthropGrumman who fit the laser filters. Image is darkened a little so maybe not a good 'poor light' bino at sea.
V Nice apart from that but mine stay down on the campo.
USCG and Armada de Chile use the Fujinon FMTRs...presumably other navies as well. I had mine re-armoured by Baker Instruments last year.
Old 08-11-2015, 15:58   #69

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:

I think so, I've never felt the need for a compass and they just add to the bulk in my not so humble........
Old 08-11-2015, 16:20   #70

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The XP is an obsolete model, so not shown there.

Does anyone know the differences between the XP and current model Commander?

The XP is a bargain, with the 7x30 with compass going for about $550 in Europe. Might be what I am (and maybe the OP) looking for. Less than half of the price of the new model. All I can find out from crawling the web is that the XP was a marinized and thus better version of the original Commander.

The 7x30 is much lighter and more compact than the 7x50. For really dark conditions, I have Soviet night vision glasses which work really well.
You know all that ended 24 years ago, eh?
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 16:25   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I think so, I've never felt the need for a compass and they just add to the bulk in my not so humble........
Each to their own. I find the compass extremely useful particularly in assessing convergent course bearings, and much more accurate than a standard hand bearing compass. Plus every now and again, when in the vicinity of a particularly idiotic idiot, it allows me to imagine that the reticle is actually a submarine periscope, and shout "Looos!"
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 08-11-2015, 16:29   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho View Post
Same here. I also often quickly take few pictures of the target, and then look at them at the back screen of the camera. Those still pictures are very stable (by definition) and I can easily zoom in to pixel level. This technique often gives better results than trying to see the target through a binocular.
Actually this is a really superb technique I use very often. Indeed it is also my own preferred low light or image intensifying option, as I have a sweet little Canon S120 which has a 12800 ISO option. So good I have shot many perfect starscapes by freehand from the deck of a boat underway! If comig into an unlit anchorage at night it provides really amazing imagery. I have used it in Vanuatu last year for example, and by starlight alone it showed individual trees with detail and in the correct green colour! This is far better than a nightscope IHMO, as it affords time to adequately study the image for pilotage.
Old 08-11-2015, 16:48   #73
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquadome View Post
Without a doubt the Fujinon 14x40 TS1440 Techno-Stabi Image Stabilized Binocular. I'd have to say they are the best ones I own.
Hav just ordered a pair of these after extensive reading suggests they are the best for marine use. They were supposed to be with us for this cruise, but alas they didn't turn up...and we're hoping they'll be safe until we return in 10 days! Will keep the 'old' 7x50 Braun as they work fine, but keen to add the image-stabilizing aspect.

Anyway, we probably can't help your time-frame Mark, but can only suggest where our enquiries lead...happy hunting!
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 17:00   #74

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

In 25years, the compass needle of my Steiner commander went dry and stopped working
Not really happy
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 17:16   #75

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post

Steiner do have a $$$$ all zone version. Electronic and gyro compasses wouldn't suffer from this issue.
Wouldn't you know it!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote