Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2016, 17:07   #16

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Better Wifi at the mooring/marina/anchorage?

z,
That's cool....
Thanks!

BTW, I just finished setting up a couple dual-radio "ac" access points for a client of mine....they won't have many users until January, but everyone working their offices now loves the company's new Wi-Fi (but none have a clue why I works so well!)

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:54   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 36 and C&C 29 MkII

There is quite a variety of stuff on the market nowadays. I am currently using this system. I doubt it has the range claimed by some of the more expensive systems but I find this works really well, considering what I paid for it. I use it in anchorages and marinas where I am just beyond their wifi. It is quite portable too.

1000mw transceiver with 8DB omni directional antenna and a 12vdc wireless router for under $120.

https://store.rokland.com/products/a...409-tf-antenna
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:55   #18

buy a ALPHA Marine Antenna. model: UBDo-nt. USB plug. Simple. I have two - one on the boat in Greece for at anchor etc. and one at home to share good neighbour's wifi when at home. On boat I have USB extension to put the antenna up the mast, but usually not necessary.
jimliznorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 12:24   #19

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

It's a chicken and egg thing.. the marinas don't see the need to upgrade their b/g systems or add 5Ghz until more cruisers have laptops that use it and the boats won't get AC and 5Ghz until the marinas offer it!

As Bill points out, the cost to have a multi band station is within reach so the marinas just have to be educated on why the Technology is good to have on hand.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 11:15   #20

Boat: Hanse 348

Just an update to this thread. Found this router. I like the products this company makes. What is interesting is that this is driven by a simple USB B input, so low power. Not sure how well it survives in marine environment, but would be in the cabin.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005WKIKA0...PR9W89SK&psc=1
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 14:19   #21

I have one of those, works really good ! Connects directly to the USB in the laptop, but you can share the connection with other units.

Long Distance WiFi Antenna booster Wireless up to 3000 M Away Hot Spots USB UK | eBay
Kjelle69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:36   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete O Static View Post
There is quite a variety of stuff on the market nowadays. I am currently using this system. I doubt it has the range claimed by some of the more expensive systems but I find this works really well, considering what I paid for it. I use it in anchorages and marinas where I am just beyond their wifi. It is quite portable too.

1000mw transceiver with 8DB omni directional antenna and a 12vdc wireless router for under $120.

Though I purchased a bullet, I am thinking about returning it and getting this setup. I have not as yet purchased a router, just the bullet am thinking this is as good and maybe simpler...
Old 07-07-2017, 13:18   #23

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete O Static View Post

This is precisely what I've been using for several years, albeit I put the system together from individual (but identical) components for a bit less money. It works great, both in marinas and at anchorages.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 20:07   #24

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Better Wifi at the mooring/marina/anchorage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Though I purchased a bullet, I am thinking about returning it and getting this setup. I have not as yet purchased a router, just the bullet am thinking this is as good and maybe simpler...

I'm lo-tech but when my bullet is operational it is also a router.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:46   #25

Boat: Tayana 47

I can't claim to have done a comparison of all the available options out there or even to be smart enough about computers to be able to evaluate them, so last spring, based on the recommendations I read on this thread, I bought a Groove from Island Time PC. I received it as advertised and installed it on my sailboat but got careless while I was installing the router and trying to set up a password for my boats network and screwed things up so badly that I couldn't even log onto it. Sort of embarrassing to take a brand new, straightforward system and manage to mess things up almost immediately! What I did is hard to explain but suffice it to say the problem was entirely my fault. So I called Island Time PC and Bob has been amazing. Good customer support is a huge understatement. He knows his product inside and out and he's patient and available. I've spoken with him several times (horrible phone connection on my end that cut so I had to resort to Skype) and his patience and willingness to help has never wavered. Now, all is back to the way it was before I messed things up and is working very well. Even if the Groove wasn't a great system, if I had it to do again, I'd buy from Island Time PC just for the support that comes after the sale.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 15:50   #26

Boat: Leopard 40 2008

Great info here. Just doing the homework now to add a booster to our cat. Thanks everyone.
Code Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 17:50   #27

FYI, i just completed a system. I originally purchased a mikrotik, but found it very complex to setup. I am very proficient in networking, but this was too much for me. I returned it and got a ubiquiti bullet. Followed the instructions from here

mv.VikingStar: WiFi Repeater for the boat - An Update

Worked immediately.

The only issue with the bullet vs. mikrotik is that the bullet doesn't come with an antenna nor POE injector like the mikrotik does. So I had to source each item separately. But I was able to make the bullet/airmax work immediately, while I was perplexed in just trying to setup the mikrotik. My 2c.

Tags
anchor, mooring, wifi