Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2018, 08:03   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Best Cockpit Tablet?

I wonder if it's worth considering putting a normal tablet into a waterproof case like an Otterbox. Doesn't the screen cover greatly compromise touchscreen function?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 08:11   #17

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Anytime you try to buy something online, and instead of a price, you get "Click to get a quote", you know you can't afford it
100% true!!!
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 08:12   #18

Boat: PSC Orion 27

The Samsung active pad 2 is out. Only available in certain countries so far. Being an international site I'm curious as to whether someone on here could source a few for fellow, geographically challenged, sailors.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 08:17   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
The Samsung active pad 2 is out. Only available in certain countries so far. Being an international site I'm curious as to whether someone on here could source a few for fellow, geographically challenged, sailors.
I like it. I think for our purposes something rugged and waterproof is really good. It's available here in the UK. I might just snag one of those.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 30-01-2018, 08:19   #20

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

I have a dell tablet that I really like but it has battery issues and they discontinued it so not a recommended unfortunately. It does run navionics app beautifully but I never use it in the cockpit.
I have been considering a BAK seal. But they run windows not android so it may depend on what apps you run.
https://www.bakusa.com/computers/seal/
Honestly it looks like the tablet makers have shrunk back a lot. Bigger phones and super cheap tablets like the fire I'm sure drive that. It it wasn't for issues with the app store and amazon I would just get a fire and a few spares (we have 4 of them in our house) there just so cheap.
All that said and as much as I have had bad luck with Samsung in the past they look like your best bet.
Old 30-01-2018, 08:22   #21

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Quote:
I wonder if it's worth considering putting a normal tablet into a waterproof case like an Otterbox. Doesn't the screen cover greatly compromise touchscreen function?
I had an Ipad1 3g in a life case (or something similar) it made it very bulky and heavy but the touch screen worked fine.
Old 30-01-2018, 11:40   #22

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:

Our smartphones are in Otterbox cases; no problems with touchscreen functions. Don't know if there are various models of Otter; we just got what fit.

But then when we shopped for a similar Otterbox for a new Galaxy Tab A (think that's what it is)... they don't make a box in the size of our current tablet.

Which leads me to say... the Galaxy works fine for nav apps. OTOH, we're in a covered/enclosed flybridge, so we don't have to worry as much about waterproofing or (usually) direct sunlight.

Don't have experience with other 10" tablets... The really old Asus Nexus 7 we also use works OK, too, although the smaller screen often hinders the right combination of detail and context.

And we also only use the tablets as back-ups to the installed plotter, and the back-up laptop in the cabin.

-Chris
Old 30-01-2018, 14:45   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well, I bought a slightly used Samsung Tab Active for only 90 quid off Gumtree.

We'll see how it works. 8" relatively low res screen roughly equivalent to my main plotter screens. I'll report after trying it.
Walt Whitman
Old 30-01-2018, 23:04   #24

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Bluetooth GPS is easy, and cheap.
Also my IPad when connected to the Gofree gets GPS position from it for Navionics, and sometimes for BlueChart, but not always.
GPS is too easy to add if you need to, move to have built in, but not absolutely essential.
Why would you want a heading sensor in your tablet?
Well, in the dinghi or on land you can use it as a compass. Not necessary, but nice to have. The Samsung Tab A has the new Android with split screen for apps. That's would be a nice feature too to have a map+heading on the screen.
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 08:41   #25

Boat: Lagoon 37 TPI

I just bought one of these Toughpad's on Ebay yesterday for a backup/cockpit unit. It should arrive next week. I paid $400

Panasonic Fully Rugged Tablets | Business Tablets | Toughpad FZ-G1

They have tons of options so it takes some digging to find out if the used ones have the all the features you want like a dedicated GPS and not the normal cell GPS. Also, I like the idea of having the touch pen for detailed use.

The question I have for anyone who would have a recommendation is:

Wipe the Win 10 off day 1, and load Ubuntu and then Opencpn or leave Win 10?

Right now, I think I'm going to leave Win 10 initially to make sure all the hardware support is correct but I sure don't like the overhead (and other stuff) of windows based machines, especially Win 10.
Eigenvector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 09:29   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenvector View Post
I just bought one of these Toughpad's on Ebay yesterday for a backup/cockpit unit. It should arrive next week. I paid $400

Panasonic Fully Rugged Tablets | Business Tablets | Toughpad FZ-G1

They have tons of options so it takes some digging to find out if the used ones have the all the features you want like a dedicated GPS and not the normal cell GPS. Also, I like the idea of having the touch pen for detailed use.

The question I have for anyone who would have a recommendation is:

Wipe the Win 10 off day 1, and load Ubuntu and then Opencpn or leave Win 10?

Right now, I think I'm going to leave Win 10 initially to make sure all the hardware support is correct but I sure don't like the overhead (and other stuff) of windows based machines, especially Win 10.
Well, I'm an old Unix guy so inclined to love Linux. But depending on what you want to run on it, Linux can be a massive PITA, more of a hobby or a project than an operating system. I would leave the WinDoze if I were you, unless you're a top IT guy with spare time on your hands.

I have Win 10 on my work comp and ship's computer, and am pretty satisfied. There are all the usual Windows drawbacks, but it WORKS, and I don't have to spend time messing around with it.
Walt Whitman
Old 31-01-2018, 09:36   #27
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Add a tablet holder, even if you only use it once in while. It reduces dropping and makes it easier. This one was home made to fit the tablet; it just slides down from the top, nice fit. When the tablet is not there, folks use it for smart phones. I've used it to nav with the smart phone when I forgot my tablet and didn't have what I wanted on the fixed GPS.

Old 31-01-2018, 09:39   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Add a tablet holder, even if you only use it once in while. It reduces dropping and makes it easier. This one was home made to fit the tablet; it just slides down from the top, nice fit. When the tablet is not there, folks use it for smart phones. I've used it to nav with the smart phone when I forgot my tablet and didn't have what I wanted on the fixed GPS.

Yes, good advice. I have one already and it greatly improves usability of a tablet in the cockpit.
Walt Whitman
Old 31-01-2018, 16:02   #29

Quote:
Slightly different usage but we did this for a client who does direct sales from vans.

Rather than use the traditional very expensive ruggedised handhelds we gave them Galaxy Tab A's in Otterbox cases.

Can't attest to waterproofing but these tablets get pretty hard usage and we've had no failures in over a year. They've also never complained about screen response.
terah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 13:40   #30

I was using a first gen ipad mini + lifeproof case along with a raspberry pi with opencpn. This setup is very slow so lately i’ve been using my iphone 5se with inavx.
asahi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit