Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2016, 11:12   #1

Boat: Colvic 40' Ketch
Autohelm 3000 Is it worth a wireless add on?

I have a Colvic Victor 34 ketch with an Autohelm 3000 wheel autopilot which I havent used. I dont have an internal steering position and I have thoughtof all the add ons such as the Z075 whiuch are impossible to find.

I have looked at the circuit diagram and I can make a wired remote to repeat the +10 -10 +1 -1 buttons. The NMEA interface just puts a neg on either the green and blue to steer and goes in the same 4pin plug.

So my question is has anyone tried using the +10/-10 buttons without activating / engaging the auto button or dioes it need to be engaged to work?

My plan is to install a 6ch remote reciver so I can do everything from inside, it would be nice if I could just a 2ch port/starboard instead.
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 11:49   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Autohelm 3000 Is it worth a wireless add on?

Been there, done that: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-a-168163.html

The button's do work to turn the motor / wheel left and right manually when on standby.

One thing. I believe the control chip uses a A/D converter for all inputs. So they are not just pulled digital high for example.

Easy way to add +/-1 and 10 is grab the four wires to to the remote and wire them to the remote receiver. It's all in my write up. Total cost $14

One issue with using a relay board mounted inside the 3000 body is activating a button, gives a momentary course change as the electromagnet is engaged. It can be annoying sometimes, but only effects one direction at a time. But still nice to be at the bow getting the anchor ready to deploy with the remote on a tether around ones neck.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 11:58   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by FionaJC View Post
I have a Colvic Victor 34 ketch with an Autohelm 3000 wheel autopilot which I havent used.

I have looked at the circuit diagram and I can make a wired remote to repeat the +10 -10 +1 -1 buttons. The NMEA interface just puts a neg on either the green and blue to steer and goes in the same 4pin plug.
One note: the autohelm 3000 does not have a NMEA interface at all. It's all standalong. There is a Autohelm 4000 head that I think may have NEMA seatalk capability. There was a box for the old 3000 that would interface a loran C signal, but I've never seen one..
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 12:04   #4

Thanks for the advice. I bought a manual remote handset on eBay, took it apart and it's a Wheatstone bridge with two of the legs black and red and the other green and blue.

I haven't got the circuit in front of me at the moment but I think it was 1k resistors in each Arm and a 330k somewhere. I think I will take your advice and locate the receiver in a separate box mounted away from the main auto helm. Appreciate the advice, usually I get it delivered in a dumbed down "go buy a new one and get nice man to fit it for you"
Old 18-12-2016, 12:11   #5

I managed to get the circuit diagram for the interface and the main unit. It's overly complex by today's standard but it's going to eventualy save me time designing my own i/f using the auto helm as the muscle to turn the wheel. Thanks sailorchic34 for the quick guidance. Where is the link to your write up?

Tags
autohelm, autohelm 3000, helm