Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2015, 12:44   #1

Any success using Navionics Gold+ 16MB CF with RNS 6.2?

I've spent several days/weeks now on the Raymarine heavily moderated site

Still struggling: 16GB Navionics CF crashes RNS 6.2 - Raymarine Technical Forum

and glean the following: according to them it can't be done.

Personally, I don't use the word "can't", rather seek the answer to "what will it take"...

I've documented all the details for further discussion but first would like to connect with someone else who has faced this issue, successfully or not. I'm sure there's a solution; we just don't know it yet.

In short, Raymarine's RNS 6.2 system (circa 2008) works with an older Navionics 2GB SanDisk Compact Flash in the proprietary Navionics USB 2.0 Multicard Reader. It freezes if presented with the new (2015) 16GB Gold+ CF card in the same reader.

Uninstalling and reinstalling RNS, using Windows XP compatibility mode, using OpenGL, none have any effect.

The Raytech forum basically shrugged: we're not working on it anymore, it was designed for Gold, we haven't a clue about Gold+, talk to Navionics.

Has anyone here done better? What will it take to do better?

Cheers, Andy
alavarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:29   #2

Re: Any success using Navionics Gold+ 16MB CF with RNS 6.2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alavarre View Post
I've spent several days/weeks now on the Raymarine heavily moderated site

Still struggling: 16GB Navionics CF crashes RNS 6.2 - Raymarine Technical Forum

and glean the following: according to them it can't be done.

Personally, I don't use the word "can't", rather seek the answer to "what will it take"...

I've documented all the details for further discussion but first would like to connect with someone else who has faced this issue, successfully or not. I'm sure there's a solution; we just don't know it yet.

In short, Raymarine's RNS 6.2 system (circa 2008) works with an older Navionics 2GB SanDisk Compact Flash in the proprietary Navionics USB 2.0 Multicard Reader. It freezes if presented with the new (2015) 16GB Gold+ CF card in the same reader.

Uninstalling and reinstalling RNS, using Windows XP compatibility mode, using OpenGL, none have any effect.

The Raytech forum basically shrugged: we're not working on it anymore, it was designed for Gold, we haven't a clue about Gold+, talk to Navionics.

Has anyone here done better? What will it take to do better?

Cheers, Andy
Indeed, the situation is that RayTech software, at least the RNS 6.2 and E62113 C120W will not support cartography from a NAV+ source chart card having more than 2GB of cartography data stored within the card's memory.*I do not know about Gold/Platinum+ as I have not one of those.

The solution in my case was indeed to
1. use the Navionics Chart Installer to "Erase all Navionics Content" from the NAV+ chart card,
2. and then populate the chart card with < 2 GB of Navionics Nautical Charts.

All of the East Coast from the VA-NC border up through Nova Scotia is 790.8MB. Room to spare, I'll mess around with adding some sonar charts.

Both the RNS 6.2 and C120W now work with the 16 GB CF card, albeit with only <2GB of cartographic information.

Special thanks to Kerri at Navionics for a proactive stance that led to conferencing with Raymarine to develop this solution.

Everybody wins.
alavarre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navionics