Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2023, 14:13   #1

Boat: 12 meter self built cat
adaptor for ethernet to usb

i have had my simrad halo working nicely displayed on my trusty old lenovo thinkpad until it finally died of old age and beer spilled on the keyboard...
now i find that new laptops rarely come with a ethernet connection which the radar apparently requires. i have bought an adaptor that the vendor swore would work, as vendors do.. i can not get past a display that says radar is, "initializing," "no radar". and the radar icon on my tool bar displays the "s" shape on the radar icon. i took the nav machine to a pro who installed a driver he said and an ehternet driver for the adaptor does show up on "device manager" in windows 10.

i am running radar plugin v5.3.4 as advised by an opencpn developer, on opencpn 5.6.2. either i miss something or my radar is in trouble, more likely the former. can anyone out there help? advise appreciated.
tcpbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2023, 00:58   #2

Re: adaptor for ethernet to usb

have you tried the port with something else? plug it into your internet router and see if the laptop gets internet via network. (with wifi off)
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2023, 05:25   #3

thank you for your reply but i use no such apparatus as you describe. the only possible solution is a direct connection from the radar to the computer.

some time ago i received a very good, detailed instruction of how to set the system up from a cpn developer and have been careful to duplicate that instruction. but it seems apparent that the problem is the lack of ethernet port. where i am now the least expensive machine i have found with ethernet is $800 usd...which in my crappy austrlia $ translates into a wheel barrow full.. all this caused by one moment of gross stupidity... maybe i should consider drinking my beer from a baby bottle.
Old 16-10-2023, 05:37   #4

Location: Live aboard in Simonstown (Cape Town) - now Grenada having crossed the Atlantic.
Boat: 1986 Bruce Roberts 45 raised saloon

Have you set the correct IP address for the LAN adapter to communicate with the radar.

For my Garmin HD (similar to the Halo I believe) i needed to set the IP address to 172.16.1.1
markcouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2023, 07:06   #5

this is something that was not necessary for the set up on my old machine but perhaps it is worth a shot for this one. i have no experience in setting an IP, could you describe how to?
Old 16-10-2023, 07:19   #6

wait a minute... i think you are talking about a wifi connection to my radar? whereas i am trying to do a wired connection?
Old 16-10-2023, 08:58   #7

i have just got hold of a machine with ethernet, loaded onencpn and plugin and it does not connect. i checked power to the cable and it has power but i am getting nothing back. time to examine a new direction.