Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2014, 03:28   #751

Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

I visited 49 countries during my Navy career. I had a great time in most of them. I bought a truck (semi) after I retired so I could see the USA and Canada. After I had seen most every place I wanted, I was content to sell the truck. Fuel prices were starting to kill the fun of trucking anyways.

I am just a "back yard Suzie" these days. I have a few baby step plans for the upcoming spring/summer. My first big adventure will be to cross the bay over to Cape Charles for some gunkholing adventures with my grandson. After that.......who knows. The Chesapeake is full of little adventures.
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 17:24   #752

There's a lot of posts to read but I get the drift of it. Im a wanabee right now. I had a Venture McGregor 25 and read about a couple that goes to the Bahamas in there McGregor ones a year. So my big plan was to do the same. Well life got in the way and my son needed tutoring. so I sold my McGregor to fund Sylvan tutoring. Well im back at it again Hoping to sell my toys and junk to get another boat. even if I never make it to the Bahamas I will definitely get a boat and get to sail around Lake Pointachtrain . will do the Wednesday night regatta and maybe get to sail around the gulf of Mexico along the shores of Louisiana ,Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, and maybe Texas. wish me luck !
popeye31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 12:00   #753

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3

S/V Sea wolf Episode-4 Downwind Sailing practice: http://youtu.be/93Im0Agh8fM

Im still a hardcore wannabe..

Sent from my D6616 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 04:02   #754

Boat: Passport 40

I would have to say that I am a die hard wannabe. I read sailing, talk sailing, help run race committee but can't seem to break free of shoreside obligations yet. I am living in Dubai currently. Hubby works in the marine industry. We move every three to five years. Could be anyplace that has oil, gas and sea. We just got here in August and I took the RYA day skipper course. In it I realized how difficult it is to find places to go for a cruise. The sailing part is awesome, good conditions in winter. I haven't been here for much of the summer but I can't imagine the heat. So we talked about getting a cruiser. But to go where?

I did offer to buy one and keep it in the states as I am there all summer, but hubby was hurt that I would consider sailing without him...so we are waiting two years. Until then I take classes, read and help with race committee

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brookiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 19:46   #755

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

The UAE is tough during mid summer away from the aircon. Those beautiful flowers on Dubai's street corners just burn away.

Old 26-01-2015, 21:21   #756

Boat: Under construction

Absolute Wannabe here. Having sailed as crew on several "round the cans" yachts, an opportunity came up to undertake a Pacific crossing from Mexico to Qld. Obviously I jumped at the opportunity. It ruined my life however, because now every waking moment of every day is spent researching, learning, reading and dreaming. I have finally pulled the trigger on a steel Bruce Roberts 39 that has yet to be fitted out. I intend to spend the next 2 years on the fitout and splash her before my 50th birthday. Beyond that, a year or so around Melbourne and Victoria and then off for a slow lap around Australia. I have learned an enormous amount just from reading this forum, along with all the other avenues of research I use and will certainly be asking questions when the time comes and I can't find the answers easily.
Chris66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 13:19   #757

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA

I've been a wannabee for some time now, but with much help from CF I am close to a departure...

Here is a thread I just created with a summary of my plan, I would love some feedback.
Pearson 323: Enchantress Circumnavigation Plan - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 14:12   #758
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

here is one to watch!
go for it bob

Need a boat for circumnavigation - Page 3 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 07:40   #759

Ok guys I am seeing my boat get further and further away as my children talk about their college plans. Child 1 goes in the fall and is completely reasonable. Child 2 goes the following year, someone needs to land that spaceship! And we have four years before child 3 goes...if child 2 doesn't spend it all. There is nothing I wouldn't do for my kids, so we will see what is left and make it work.

Old 30-01-2015, 12:00   #760

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookiesailor View Post
Ok guys I am seeing my boat get further and further away as my children talk about their college plans. Child 1 goes in the fall and is completely reasonable. Child 2 goes the following year, someone needs to land that spaceship! And we have four years before child 3 goes...if child 2 doesn't spend it all. There is nothing I wouldn't do for my kids, so we will see what is left and make it work.

RUN! Sell the house to pay for their college, then buy a boat (I have one for sale), sell everything else, live on the boat.
Old 31-01-2015, 11:43   #761

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookiesailor View Post

And you are falling for the LIE like most. I was not allowed to influence the decision. See, Most people don't belong in college. It is a money-making myth. I have two college graduates and the degrees are worthless if you rank "a paying job/career" high on the list.

I wanted them to go to a trade school for a year or so (since there is no draft) to learn something they could trade (heh) for money to get by on. They would then have a better idea of what they want to do, have better motivation to "move up" and generally be more responsible. Then they can save and work for it. (like we had to right?) More motivation = better results.

I was voted down. Now the realities are home and so are the boys.

If only I could have had my way we would have sold the house nine or ten years ago and been aboard then. We would be back on land like we are now but at least we would have done it for a while. (see other posts {whining} about wife's chronic illness, balance issues, aging parents etc etc.

Most college today is a waste of time. It is a racket. The unfortunate part is that business are in the trap too and require "degrees" though we all know that there are many fresh young folks with degrees and no experience. My experience is that they need a little experience but not as the boss trying out book changes that have been tried (and failed) before. New managers changing for changes sake.

Sorry for the rant but I will never cruise any more than the little I have done already and it hurts multiple times a day.

Many times we don't realize that the more you do for your children (anything right?) the less they have to do and the less real life realities they learn to deal with. It is a disservice to them. Mothering, as I call it, should last only so long.

Old 31-01-2015, 14:16   #762

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Therapy quote: "Many times we don't realize that the more you do for your children (anything right?) the less they have to do and the less real life realities they learn to deal with. It is a disservice to them. Mothering, as I call it, should last only so long."

Yep, good words. Tread very carefully when supporting the kids.

I've seen it many times, giving cash support to adult kids can be very detrimental to family relations.
On the other hand it, a little help towards qualifications that are in high demand can lead to real success.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 16:34   #763

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA
What happens to all the wannabees?

Here's one of my motivation songs...

http://youtu.be/Nl2GwLtMX7s

"Well I'm sick of this town, this blind man's forage
They take your dreams down and stick them in storage
You can have them back son when you've paid off your mortgage and loans
Oh hell with this place, I'll go it my own way"

As for the college thing. I went to university paid for by my parents. I'm thankful everyday for it. I didn't learn much directly, but certain experiences there definitely shaped who I became as a person. I studied mostly at home because university of Memphis didn't have the type of tech classes I wanted. My degree is worth crap and anyone can learn what I do by watching YouTube videos or a few books. It's the passion for learning and progressing in life. Either kids have it or they don't. If they do they will succeed regardless. If they don't, school won't teach it, that's for life to show them. Either from parents or possibly in a school. Size your kids up and make a thoughtful determination if the are the academic type or not, then proceed with an open mind and flexibility. But don't sell yourself short in the process.

theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 17:42   #764

Both my husband and I went to universities that taught a trade as well as degree, I was a nurse, and he is a merchant marine. So far the kids are following in suit; chemistry, engineering and robotics. The second child is being steered away from expensive schools and is being encouraged to follow his dad to the USMMA . He wants engineering but doesn't know what type. Changes his mind three times a day. The other two have been steadfast in what they want for years. So we wait. The chemist is waiting on acceptance letters

Old 31-01-2015, 17:45   #765

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

Was a wannabe, Then bought a few cruising boats and went from a wannabe to a do-abee, then decided I wanna do other things, so sold the boats. Will still charter from time to time.

That's what happened to this former wannabe.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote