Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2014, 09:11   #721

Boat: Monk 36
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

September 28th I was supposed to embark on my 'cruising' life, heading south along the ICW, visiting friends and family on the way. All that was postponed when I had to seize my company back. Now the calendar has been shifted a year. That time span better not be the one that breaks the camel's back.
So ... I still have intentions.
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:11   #722
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
I stopped being a wanna-be 4 years ago. Now I am an "I am". All it takes is the first step, move aboard. Until then all the steps are dreams. Good luck to all that wish it.

For the record (and Korrigan) I started with a boat, a bit of "emergency cash" and my social security check. Now the SS check is all I live on.
don you are just about an "Old salt" by now,wish you would post more about your adventures on the forum,was very entertaining when you did regularly!

cheers alex
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:21   #723

Boat: Fisher Motorsailer 30'

I am finally joining the ranks of doing. Buying my second sailboat and will be moving aboard next May. But in the meantime saving as much money as I can until then.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
huffart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 16:31   #724

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Well, we are living aboard, but between hubby's overtime and the many projects, we aren't sailing as much as I had hoped. Fingers crossed that we get out this weekend!
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2014, 09:51   #725

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I was going to put some progress piccys up but it wont let me,

The repairer has finally pulled his finger out and is working on my boat, He said it will be ready before Xmas, He didnt say which one,
But he has done a bit of work on both hulls,
I took the Piccys when I was down there today,

So this Wannabee is still here and raring to go, as soon as the boat is seaworthy again,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 15:06   #726

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
... He said it will be ready before Xmas, ...
What is Xmas?
Miniyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 16:23   #727

Boat: Dean Ocean Liner 365

Ehm, we didn't succeed in selling our house, but could rent it out. So we bought an older Lexus LX450 (is the same as a Toyota Land Cruiser 80-series), and took of for an extended trip through South America, starting at our home in Suriname, almost one year ago. We are having the time of our life and hope to go on for a while (I work while traveling), but in the future there is still floating this dream of that live aboard cat... :-)
For photos and videos of our trip, see: Losers in a Lexus | 4wheeling through a beautiful creationLosers in a Lexus | 4wheeling through a beautiful creation
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7301.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	91023  
Notyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 17:00   #728

Boat: Hunter Helsen 470

I guess I am still some what of a Wannabe. However, We have been on the boat two years now. We finally left Texas and made our way around Florida to NC. Still wanna make it to islands. We plan on heading south in December.
Wench'sCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 14:50   #729

Boat: Boatless

Still here, still trying to figure it all out, still dreaming.

Sold my powerboat three months ago. Took a beating, but it's $400.00 a month I don't have to pay anymore. Quit my long haul trucking job last Friday, and secured a local job driving gasoline tanker here in South Florida. Same money as long haul, but home every day.

Spending more hours than a human should on boat sales sites and Youtube. I have six months to decide whether to pull the trigger on this or not. If so, I am headed to Texas for a few years to drive a truck on the oil rigs. The money would be double what I make now. Do that for 5 years, and then just sail away.....
fishin4bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 15:48   #730

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin4bogey View Post
Still here, still trying to figure it all out, still dreaming.

Sold my powerboat three months ago. Took a beating, but it's $400.00 a month I don't have to pay anymore. Quit my long haul trucking job last Friday, and secured a local job driving gasoline tanker here in South Florida. Same money as long haul, but home every day.

Spending more hours than a human should on boat sales sites and Youtube. I have six months to decide whether to pull the trigger on this or not. If so, I am headed to Texas for a few years to drive a truck on the oil rigs. The money would be double what I make now. Do that for 5 years, and then just sail away.....
Just a thought... You could think about coming to work up here in our oil sands.. Truckers make good money (like 375K cdn/year). It might shorten your plan.

Although, I have no idea what is required for an American to come work in Canada. Unless you are under 30, then its stupid easy..
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 17:10   #731

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3

My wife and i have been lurking on the forums for about 10 months now... we were wannabees and got alot of sdvice on the forumns.. most of it we listened to, some we did not.

I find there is a core group of naysayers on this forumn that is always looking at the glass half empty... and discouraging alot of wannabees. Im glad we followed our own path.

We have spent this past week and this week living on our boat in ft lauderdale and we've already had a big list of maintace issues on this "ready to go boat" as the previous owner put it. I had to remove the water heater (rusted through and was leaking) had to clear out most of the through fitting from clogs, (crustaceans built up while the boat sat) our bilge pump switch burned out pumping out the bilge which had 100 gallons from our hot water tank that leaked, and our radio stopped recieving transmissions, it would only send.. (might be user error) im thankfull i brought my backup baofeng uv-5r's to talk to the bridges near the hillsboro inlet here. But over all nothing we couldn't handle

We were told that the more complicated the boat the more issues we will have. That is definitely true. But on the other hand, i enjoy hot showers , cleaning my own clothes, having ice when i want it. Ect ect. Im young still (28) but feel that you dont have to go "sail camping" to be a real cruiser. Ive been lucky with business and able to afford a well equipped boat out the gate, but most told us to go smaller simpler ect. Everyone needs to get what fits their budget, even if it doesnt fit the ideal "blue water boat".

Point is, lets all be encouraging to all newbies, (myself being one) and be positive,,,, even if they do want to circumnavigate in a hunter!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1415840998616.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	91483  

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 17:39   #732

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Point is, lets all be encouraging to all newbies, (myself being one) and be positive,,,, even if they do want to circumnavigate in a hunter!
G'Day natraps,

First, I'm glad that you are finding your path enjoyable, and hope that it continues to bring you satisfaction... it can be a great life!, and you are quite fortunate to be able to approach it in your younger years.

But Mate, how can you ask us to be encouraging to everyone, no matter what their proposed actions are? That is both disadvantageous to the enquirer and demeaning to the experienced consultant. I can't speak for others, but I will continue to encourage those ideas that seem good to me, and discourage those that do not. They, of course, have the option of ignoring my advice (and many do).

Or perhaps what you mean is that we should "encourage" folks to do the right thing (in our opinion), even if it "discourages" their proposed plan... that I can agree with, and I think it describes many of my posts directed at newbies.

Keep on with the boat projects, for it is a way of life and it is good to enjoy them if you can.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 12-11-2014, 17:43   #733

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natraps116 View Post
My wife and i have been lurking on the forums for about 10 months now... we were wannabees and got alot of sdvice on the forumns.. most of it we listened to, some we did not.

I find there is a core group of naysayers on this forumn that is always looking at the glass half empty... and discouraging alot of wannabees. Im glad we followed our own path.

We have spent this past week and this week living on our boat in ft lauderdale and we've already had a big list of maintace issues on this "ready to go boat" as the previous owner put it. I had to remove the water heater (rusted through and was leaking) had to clear out most of the through fitting from clogs, (crustaceans built up while the boat sat) our bilge pump switch burned out pumping out the bilge which had 100 gallons from our hot water tank that leaked, and our radio stopped recieving transmissions, it would only send.. (might be user error) im thankfull i brought my backup baofeng uv-5r's to talk to the bridges near the hillsboro inlet here. But over all nothing we couldn't handle

We were told that the more complicated the boat the more issues we will have. That is definitely true. But on the other hand, i enjoy hot showers , cleaning my own clothes, having ice when i want it. Ect ect. Im young still (28) but feel that you dont have to go "sail camping" to be a real cruiser. Ive been lucky with business and able to afford a well equipped boat out the gate, but most told us to go smaller simpler ect. Everyone needs to get what fits their budget, even if it doesnt fit the ideal "blue water boat".

Happy for you. It took me to 59 to have the money for a little comfort and now I/we can't do the things we want to do anymore. Oh the aging.....

Nice pic.

I don't see any grab rails for the pretty lady to use when she is fixing you a sammich while under way.

Oh the boat list..........

Have fun out there. Best of luck to you.
Old 12-11-2014, 17:45   #734

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day natraps,

First, I'm glad that you are finding your path enjoyable, and hope that it continues to bring you satisfaction... it can be a great life!, and you are quite fortunate to be able to approach it in your younger years.

But Mate, how can you ask us to be encouraging to everyone, no matter what their proposed actions are? That is both disadvantageous to the enquirer and demeaning to the experienced consultant. I can't speak for others, but I will continue to encourage those ideas that seem good to me, and discourage those that do not. They, of course, have the option of ignoring my advice (and many do).

Or perhaps what you mean is that we should "encourage" folks to do the right thing (in our opinion), even if it "discourages" their proposed plan... that I can agree with, and I think it describes many of my posts directed at newbies.

Keep on with the boat projects, for it is a way of life and it is good to enjoy them if you can.

Cheers,

Jim
Hi jim,

I meant the latter part of your quote. Let encourage wannabees to do the right thing! With kind suggestions, not matter of fact critisisms.

By the way, i have not read any of your posts so i wasn't directing anything at you

-natraps

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 18:20   #735

I'm a wannabe and a newbie. Started my ASA101 in October 2013. Next month I begin my 103-104. It IS expensive and time consuming especially with family and career and the such. However, I'm happy to say that since my 101 last October I have chartered in Port Canaveral, Charleston and Houston. I'll be in L.A. next month and will expand my experience there as well.

I expect to be chartering a bareboat in Croatia the summer of 2015. In it for the long game...
ougyday is offline   Reply With Quote