Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2019, 08:25   #61

Re: UK Airport security and a VHF handheld.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Don’t get why people complain about tight (described as “unreasonable) airport security.

I went through security in Portugal last month and they didn’t look at my passport, didn’t X-ray me and walked out the door with my luggage with no security.

That’s what you (we all) should be complaining about!
So, we're you harmed by them not being complete ********? Is there any evidence whatsoever that all this humiliating pseudo-security mumbo-jumbo has prevented even one single serious incident?

To me, the terrorists are those restricting our freedom without proper justification and implement it by employing uneducated thugs as airport security
pufferfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:03   #62

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

Can we give a prize to the member who early in this, as others have noted, now rather silly, thread, recounting his experiences in Cyprus? Made me laugh.

Seriously, I live near to Gatwick. I use it a lot. The speed of getting through security has improved markedly. I have never encountered anyone being impolite. Let alone aggressive. If I have ever had an issue it has been my fault. As when I took some Marmite in my hand luggage as a present. They, apologetically, pointed out that they had to treat it as a liquid. I accepted that they were doing their job.

Israel: I was there last month. They do check luggage. I know as mine had a note in it to say that it had been checked, that the check was video recorded and these were the contact details if I had any concerns or complaints. Again, all very up front and polite.

Portugal: I think that message might be confused if there was travel from one Schengen country to another. I flew from Malaga to Genoa the other day. You walk straight out. No checks. That's the beauty of Schengen.

The US is the place to avoid at all costs. The complaints are legion. We were due to go last month, but because my wife had taken a tourist trip to Iran some years ago she was obviously a threat to the very existence of Trumpville. The US is so bad that if travelling from Europe to AUS/NZ it makes sense to travel the other way around the world. With or without a VHF.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:32   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

[QUOTE=Alita49DS;3011855]
"As when I took some Marmite in my hand luggage as a present."

Marmite as a deadly weapon? I guess it smells dangerous enough to a non-user.

As an American, I have to apologize for our country's behavior the past 50 years. That's why we have to have so much security.

I just got really annoyed when they confiscated my Boy Scout knife...
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:39   #64
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: UK Airport security and a VHF handheld.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Where were you coming from? There are a number of countries the US has security concerns about. If the security screening at the departure point is not trusted you will get screened at entry into many other countries, not just the US.
The Uk.. London Gatwick flight into Charleston.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:28   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alita49DS View Post
in this, as others have noted, now rather silly, thread
OK I give up,

I started a thread to warn other forum members of a potential problem that they might also encounter....

If this is seen as a silly thread the moderators might want to delete it.

And I will think again before bothering to post on this forum!
Goodall_M1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:01   #66

I have had similar problems with an inflatable lifejacket. This is a warning for anyone intending to fly Air New Zealand with an inflatable lifejacket. While their website says its okay and must be carried as carry on baggage, so it can be inspected, their security staff said it could not be carried at all, either as checked baggage or carry on. They refused to look at their own website and refused to acknowledge that there was an equivalent lifejacket under every seat on the plane. I am confident I do not fit the profile of a terrorist however I think the behaviour of Air NZ was an attempt to turn me into one.
When I approached Qantas they issued me a certificate allowing me to carry the lifejacket on any flight for the following 12 months. Fiji Air sent me an email saying they allowed such lifejackets on their planes and to carry a copy of the email and show it to security staff.
Choose the right airline and get the approval in writing before flying. Avoid Air New Zealand.
john manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:03   #67

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I was travelling through Heathrow on the way back to Turkey with my new M802 SSB in my checked luggage when I was pulled out and taken to a small room. The officer wanted to know what it was, and why I was taking it to Turkey. The officer was polite enough, and I was not held for long. I suppose that is reasonable given that jihadis were travelling to Iraq through Turkey at that time, and communications gear would have been in demand. Even though it seemed silly at the time to have to argue why a cruiser would be taking a marine radio back to his boat I accepted that it was appropriate to ask the question. Needless to say I would have been upset if I couldn't have continued on with the radio, but that didn't happen. I suspect being courteous to the officer had something to do with it.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:57   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodall_M1 View Post
OK I give up,

I started a thread to warn other forum members of a potential problem that they might also encounter....

If this is seen as a silly thread the moderators might want to delete it.

And I will think again before bothering to post on this forum!
It’s not a silly thread at all.

There are some silly posters, even me at times.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 14:14   #69

Boat: Beneteau OCEANIS 46.1

Security varies all over the world but radio transceivers (especially VHF) are probably excluded from cabin baggage by most airlines I would expect. Whether they enforce it is up to them. It’s not up to the security staff to work out if it’s a marine or aviation transceiver, but in the latter case it definitely has the ability to jam an active frequency if it was accidentally transmitting.
To quote from my company’s manuals regarding prohibited cabin articles:
“Prohibited devices - Transmitting devices without flight mode, radio transceivers or transmitters such as two-way radios (walkie talkies), two-way pagers, portable LCD television, remote controlled toys and devices, and any other electronic device not mentioned elsewhere.”
CAVOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 14:43   #70

Boat: Buccaneer 16ft

I worked over in OZ in the mines, traveling back and forth from NZ every roster, once I was clearing on domestic flight and they found my little nail clippers and told I can't take them, I said to them what am I going to do, when on the plane, take me to where I want to go or I'll give you a bloody manicure. Needless to say they don't have much of sense of humor.
Old fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 15:41   #71

Don't feel bad ...... they got mine in Belize.

Stating I needed a radio license ....... hmmmmm.
captainwd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 16:04   #72

We all know the biggest risk to airport and national security is the airport security personnel themselves .

When carrying unusual electronics ( to security ) like vhf etc best remove the battery , carry the battery in your hand luggage and put the vhf etc in your luggage carefully packed with good padding .

It’s embarrassing to find so many airport security personnel around the world actually increasing risk at airports due to their mental challenges ( simpletons ) rather than mitigate it .

It’s comical really and one just has to consider them all retarded and pack our bags accordingly so nothing is questioned.
riv4pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 18:21   #73

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Take the batteries out?
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 18:40   #74

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by john manning View Post
I have had similar problems with an inflatable lifejacket. This is a warning for anyone intending to fly Air New Zealand with an inflatable lifejacket. While their website says its okay and must be carried as carry on baggage, so it can be inspected, their security staff said it could not be carried at all, either as checked baggage or carry on. They refused to look at their own website and refused to acknowledge that there was an equivalent lifejacket under every seat on the plane. I am confident I do not fit the profile of a terrorist however I think the behaviour of Air NZ was an attempt to turn me into one.
When I approached Qantas they issued me a certificate allowing me to carry the lifejacket on any flight for the following 12 months. Fiji Air sent me an email saying they allowed such lifejackets on their planes and to carry a copy of the email and show it to security staff.
Choose the right airline and get the approval in writing before flying. Avoid Air New Zealand.

The highlighted statement is the most valid point in the thread. In addition an early check in will usually make things easier.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 18:46   #75

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynard View Post
Just remember to remove the battery when sending it to the hold, and rather take the battery only in your carry on.

I've had it before that the batteries become all swollen from traveling in the hold. maybe a pressure or lack of pressure thing.
Hi, the only difference between the cabin and hold is the temperature, unless there are animals travelling in it then it will be heated. There is no pressure differential.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airport, security, vhf