Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2019, 20:31   #76

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: UK Airport security and a VHF handheld.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alita49DS View Post

Portugal: I think that message might be confused if there was travel from one Schengen country to another. I flew from Malaga to Genoa the other day. You walk straight out. No checks. That's the beauty of Schengen...
Security check has nothing to do with Schengen.
I do not know why you have not been checked on your specific flight.
I routinely fly from Israel to Greece, changing planes in Athens for a local leg within Greece.
There is full security check for all inter Schengen flights at Athens airport.
Old 08-11-2019, 21:22   #77

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

How silly

For one a marine VHF isn’t going to do jack diddly to a plane.

For two I brought my hand held aircraft radio on airline before when I was flying out to bring back planes for people, that’s directly on the same freqs, no issues.

I did get into a pizzing match with a crayon eater in the Middle East about bringing my skydive rig on, explained to him many times how jumping from a B777 was not likely and he should watch less action movies.

Ahh security theatre and job security for that kid that ate the paste back in school.
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 21:24   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by john manning View Post
I have had similar problems with an inflatable lifejacket. This is a warning for anyone intending to fly Air New Zealand with an inflatable lifejacket. While their website says its okay and must be carried as carry on baggage, so it can be inspected, their security staff said it could not be carried at all, either as checked baggage or carry on. They refused to look at their own website and refused to acknowledge that there was an equivalent lifejacket under every seat on the plane. I am confident I do not fit the profile of a terrorist however I think the behaviour of Air NZ was an attempt to turn me into one.
When I approached Qantas they issued me a certificate allowing me to carry the lifejacket on any flight for the following 12 months. Fiji Air sent me an email saying they allowed such lifejackets on their planes and to carry a copy of the email and show it to security staff.
Choose the right airline and get the approval in writing before flying. Avoid Air New Zealand.

Now that’s a different animal, compressed gas/ air tanks are a whole nother matter that’s not permitted by many op specs and GOMs.
Old 08-11-2019, 23:02   #79

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
Now that’s a different animal, compressed gas/ air tanks are a whole nother matter that’s not permitted by many op specs and GOMs.
Inflatable life jackets are listed as permitted cabin luggage by FAA. That is sure
However, I think (the text is not before me at the moment) that the clause is modified by asking the passenger to notify the airline in advance or something similar.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:03   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
Inflatable life jackets are listed as permitted cabin luggage by FAA. That is sure
However, I think (the text is not before me at the moment) that the clause is modified by asking the passenger to notify the airline in advance or something similar.

( 1) In addition to the maintenance document listed in this table, the following specifications must be followed for the applicable listed
emergency equipment items:

(a) Oxygen (02) bottles and liquid fire extinguishers. inspections, hydrostatic tests, and life limits of pressure vessels manufactured under a DOT specification are accomplished as set forth in 49 CFR Part 180.209, as amended.

Just saying, unlike a marine radio depending there is some ground for the airline (not the stupid TSA) to say no.

It’s like o2 generators, they can come aboard if they are FAA approved, same reason we can’t for the most part take scuba tanks unless the top valve if removed, thus not really being a tank anymore.
Old 09-11-2019, 14:22   #81

Boat: Hunter Legend 405

"He nor anyone else had every heard of Orville and Wilbur Wright, and they worked at an airport?"

It is often shocking for us Americans to discover that we did not invent everything. Powered flight was being developed all over the world at about the same time. Many countries have a claim to being the "first" in flight. Here is a little excerpt from livescience.com -- it was the first reference that I came across, and probably not the best, but it illustrates the point.

"The first powered flight was Henri Giffard's steam-powered airship ... in 1852. On Sept. 24, 1852, Giffard traveled almost 17 miles (27 kilometers) from Paris to Trappes moving at about 6 miles per hour (10 kilometers/hour). His airship could be steered only in calm weather, though. In wind, it could fly only in slow circles.

Clément Ader went half the length of a football field in a bat-winged setup that many view as the first manned, powered, heavier-than-air flight in 1890."
Rothblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 14:45   #82

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I have Never experienced this when boarding a flight..
But on arriving after a flight is a whole different thing.. disembark, go to luggage collection then choose the red or green exit.
Security should be done at departure point.
I think that in Mexico (inbound) they are looking for goods to tax. Used to be 30% on anything over $300 total value.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 15:35   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
if I can kill some one with a hat please let me know how
You never watched Goldfinger?
But seriously apparently sometime in the past Women wore hat pins apparently is one way
https://youtu.be/jL9kNvtdrNM
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 15:41   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
UK Airport security and a VHF handheld.

We were exporting some aircraft to Morocco years ago and had one tied up in Customs in Bangor Maine, the Customs agent wanted proof that the Garmin 430 navigation gear couldn’t be used as a Missile guidance system. I figured we were hosed as I didn’t see why it couldn’t.
I contacted Garmin, they had been down this road before and sent me data that I forwarded to Customs in Bangor that proved it couldn’t.
Apparently it has a max speed at which it becomes inoperable and I guess missiles fly faster than that.
But what you want to bet that is just software though?

Point is I guess that things can be used for purposes that we haven’t thought about.
I’ve always thought only an idiot would try to smuggle a bomb into their carry on on on their person, surely any one would simply use their phone or other device to trigger the bomb in the cargo bay.
Assuming of course they are stupid enough to be on the airplane.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 18:10   #85

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothblum View Post
"He nor anyone else had every heard of Orville and Wilbur Wright, and they worked at an airport?"

It is often shocking for us Americans to discover that we did not invent everything. Powered flight was being developed all over the world at about the same time. Many countries have a claim to being the "first" in flight.

NZ - Richard Pearce?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:02   #86

Boat: Hunter 420 Passage

A good TSA story. Flying back from Ireland, we discovered that only one bag was paid for. So I decided to take a different small bag on the plane. Get to TSA and I got picked for search, a 6' man will get searched a lot. He starts to look through the bag, which was packed for checked!! Explained what happened. No worries go back tell Delta I sent you back, no extra charge, smiles everywhere. A confused Mate when this big TSA Officer came up to her to explain.
Windcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:39   #87

Never had a problem with taking my portable VHF radio, through airport security at LGW or LHR. I travel with medication than needs to be kept cool with freezer packs and the supplier of the medicine provides me with a letter from the pharmacist stating that the medicine needs to kept between 2 & 8 degrees C. Normally they are much more interested in that!!! About 50% of the time they do not ask to see the letter. The last time I travelled through LHR they stated their scanners have been upgraded to detect the chemical composition of the items they are scanning and they didn’t even swab the freezer packs that they always used to. I flew into Jersey, recently and they were very interested in my freezer packs, but they had much older equipment. On one occasion the security staff told me my letter was out or date. I replied that that supplier provides me a letter every year. He admonished me and told me to get a current one next time! In Greece they are not bothered and rarely check - different culture!

The answer to the OP is
1. Always arrive at the airport in good time.
2. If challenged about the the VHF radio
- smile (not smugly!)
- state that you checked with airline and they stated that the correct place to transport the radio is in your hand luggage.
- if the person still objects ask politely to see there supervisor. (The reason for point 1.) while your waiting for the supervisor dig out you VHF operators license and place it next the the VHF radio. (I always carry my licences (or copies) with me. Just doing that may mean the staff member causing the issue, says just go.
What you don’t want to do is cause them to ‘loose face’ , otherwise you will be waiting until the supervisor turns up!
3. If the supervisor does come, smile again and calmly say that this is Licence’s device (pointing your license)and you have confirmed with the carrier that the correct place to transport it is in your cabin baggage. Say something like, ‘I am sorry for the confusion, but if you check with the carrier they will confirm this.’ Most of the time I am sure it will be resolved in your favour WITHOUT them calling the carrier!
4. Remember 80% of communication in non-verbal and if your body language/face is saying the person your speaking to is a moron, expect a long wait. For some reason the member of security staff is having a bad day, don’t blow it with the supervisor, always be calm and polite.
Flaps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:06   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Don’t get why people complain about tight (described as “unreasonable) airport security.

I went through security in Portugal last month and they didn’t look at my passport, didn’t X-ray me and walked out the door with my luggage with no security.

That’s what you (we all) should be complaining about!
Because most of it is security theater.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:33   #89

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
NZ - Richard Pearce?
Richard PearSe himself publicly stated that his attempted flight and crash was four months after the Wright brothers' successful flight. He specifically said that he "did not achieve flight," and that he didn't beat the Wright brothers.

Beyond that, though he continued to experiment for some time, all he achieved were very short (50 yards is the only definitive distance stated by witnesses) airborne hops, he never achieved true controlled flight.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:40   #90

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothblum View Post

It is often shocking for us Americans to discover that we did not invent everything. Powered flight was being developed all over the world at about the same time. Many countries have a claim to being the "first" in flight. Here is a little excerpt from livescience.com -- it was the first reference that I came across, and probably not the best, but it illustrates the point.

"The first powered flight was Henri Giffard's steam-powered airship ... in 1852. On Sept. 24, 1852, Giffard traveled almost 17 miles (27 kilometers) from Paris to Trappes moving at about 6 miles per hour (10 kilometers/hour). His airship could be steered only in calm weather, though. In wind, it could fly only in slow circles.

Clément Ader went half the length of a football field in a bat-winged setup that many view as the first manned, powered, heavier-than-air flight in 1890."
Neither of these examples come anywhere near true controlled flight of a heavier than air powered aircraft, that landmark belongs to the Wright brothers, alone.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airport, security, vhf