Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2016, 18:50   #46

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: This is still just a dream, how do I get there? :)

Welcome to CF, Finns... The advice you receive here is worth exactly what you pay for it, including mine. But there are a large number of experienced and trustworthy sailors who have spent many years in this chosen lifestyle and are willing to share their knowledge and support with you. Listen to it carefully because many of them started out exactly as you have, with a dream and persevered to live it.
Because you are single should not be an impediment, rather a strength to build your dream upon. Sailors are self sufficient types by and large and this is probably one of the main attractions to the lifestyle. Being single requires more self sufficiency and looking after and out for ones self more so than a partnership.
If I could be so bold as to make a suggestion it would be to learn and equip yourself with skills to fix and maintain vessels, be they power or sail, and immerse yourself in first the book learning then the practical side of boat maintenance. Folks that do work on boats and understand their systems are in great demand and make bloody good money!
Not only would you have a built in skill you can take wherever your travels take you but you can top up the cruising kitty anywhere in the world. Additionally, as you get into the marine maintenance field, you will run across your dreamboat that has been neglected but dying for some one to pick her up for a song and bring her back to her former glory days.
Along the way you just might meet your new soulmate who is into boating.
Women who choose this field and are committed and take pride in their work are few and far between as are the men.
Many of the CF contributors can tell you horror stories of maintenance projects that have gone bad, including me!
So open yourself to new horizons, challenges and take charge of your life!
Cheers and good luck, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 19:26   #47

Finns,

As you might have noticed there are two trains of thought on how to start sailing. One says "buy the boat, use it a lot and you'll learn fast". The other is - "join a sailing club or get a small sailing dinghy, hit the slow but steady learning curve and in couple of years/seasons you'll be ready for your next big adventure".

I personally did the second route joining a club and was a member on and off for about 5-6 seasons. My learning curve during my club days was slow, mostly because I did not race but just day sailed and cruised and it is racing that teaches you a lot. But it gave me enough understanding of the whole "boat thing" to know what to do next.

After about a year hiatus from sailing I knew I had to jump to the next level and so I got a 25 year old 27 footer which needed TLC (hey what do you expect for $400?), which I did provide, and a year later I was in the water happy as a clam. And it progressed form there.

So figure out which path is for you, only you will know that, take it and don't look back.

PS All the mistakes you will make along the way are part of the learning curve and even when expensive are still way cheaper than what any "marine university" would charge for that knowledge. Try to find a sailing mentor along the way, you will surely meet enough qualified people to fill that position once you get on the water, as this will be of great help in your learning progress.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 19:43   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finns View Post
That's very helpful! Thank you so much! This is something that has been on my mind for as long as I can remember. I'm excited to be at a point in my life that it is finally a real possibility!
Where your thoughts are focused your reality is sure to emerge.
Nothing else required.
Old 28-04-2016, 20:32   #49

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeLevel View Post
Where your thoughts are focused your reality is sure to emerge.
Nothing else required.
And it can be that easy.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 06:52   #50

Boat: a sailing boat

My master used to say "do or do not, there is no try".

I am with those who say that once you have clear focus, many things align. At times, making a clear cut is the best way to see new horizons.

Solid inexpensive boats abound. Any vision becomes reality by making one step at a time.

Financial fears can be best seen as exercises in basic algebra and crowd sourced investment self-help. Freedom tokens are just that.

It sounds odd when people grown in developed and affluent societies find any project of this minute complexity beyond their life forming skills.

My take is always to do. I sure did things the long way for not knowing the road less traveled. But here I am, and I would do the same thing again.

So, there was no try, just as my master wished. My true nature (of a bum) transpired, gripped me, and I just could not resist. I got framed by my childhood dreams and my genetic predispositions.

My partner says: "we are artists, just without any specific talents".

Do have fun living yours. Dance some, love some, sail some.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 20:02   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
My master used to say "do or do not, there is no try".

I am with those who say that once you have clear focus, many things align. At times, making a clear cut is the best way to see new horizons.

Solid inexpensive boats abound. Any vision becomes reality by making one step at a time.

Financial fears can be best seen as exercises in basic algebra and crowd sourced investment self-help. Freedom tokens are just that.

It sounds odd when people grown in developed and affluent societies find any project of this minute complexity beyond their life forming skills.

My take is always to do. I sure did things the long way for not knowing the road less traveled. But here I am, and I would do the same thing again.

So, there was no try, just as my master wished. My true nature (of a bum) transpired, gripped me, and I just could not resist. I got framed by my childhood dreams and my genetic predispositions.

My partner says: "we are artists, just without any specific talents".

Do have fun living yours. Dance some, love some, sail some.

b.
Follow the way you do? A Jedi sailor are you? The Master always knew the way, just do! Sounds to me like your artistic talent IS life!!!! Good on ya!!
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 20:57   #52

This advice comes from a divorce perspective as much as it does a boat perspective. Unfortunately, I have tons of experience with both.

Don't lock yourself into anything yet.

You need a little time to find yourself again

I'd go the "use other people's boats" or "get a little day sailer" route at first to be sure it's something you really want to do. The extra social interaction will help too.

I know women generally initiate the divorce after having already gone through the break up while still in the marriage, but you still need to find "you" again.

Drastic moves only after you are 100% sure.
cruisersfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 02:51   #53

Boat: Tartan 3000

Pick up an old copy of Sensible Cruising by Don Casey. It's of the minimalist get started sailing approach. Should answer many of your questions and a good read as well.

Cheap too.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 04:32   #54

Boat: 2014 Lagoon 380

I was where you were a few years ago. I spent 2 years researching on this site. It has all the answers you just need to search them out and be honest and realistic with yourself.

Another suggestion. Find someone who is doing what you are thinking about and go live on their boat for a week or two. Nothing like getting fully immersed to experience everything - both good and bad.

2 years later I am now a full-time liveaboard in the Caribbean. I would not be here except for those on this site who encouraged but didn't even know me. If you can dream, you can do. Good luck.
Bulty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 05:54   #55

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

You can do this! You already have great advice on learning to sail and getting your personal head together. But let me give you financial advice.....of course you need some dough, Ann Cate pointed out some reasources for how to do your dream reasonably. But the most important thing is make your dream your #1 priority. It might take some years before you feel ready. In the mean time there are lots of land based attractions to tempt you. New furniture, new cars, etc. It can be hard but just dont. Make socking away the money a huge part of your goals. Ignore the little whispers that justify purchses you dont need. Even if you think you have a very sound rationale for something, give it 3 to 6 months before acting.
Life is fluid and choices that seem right today can be exactly the thing you regret a few months later.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 17:35   #56

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

About 5 years ago, the wife and I took our first sailing class with the Mountaineers. We kept taking classes through a local club (Seattle Sailing Club - highly, highly recommended; great staff and instructors and they have members as far away as Colorado), bought a boat that we put in the club, sold that boat for a larger one this January and are now @ 3 to 4 months away from selling the house and moving onto the new boat. It doesn't take long; you can pull it off from eastern Washington with weekend trips and vacations, but moving to the western side if possible is much easier. The Monday / Wednesday night beer can races are the way to ramp up the learning curve, not to mention the fun people and activities involved around the racing.

Seattle Sailing Club | Lessons, Membership & More

Good luck with whatever you decide to do

Smokeys Kitchen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 15:59   #57

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Hey Finns, sorry for any repetition, but I couldn't wade through all that advice. You can just listen to me anyway

You can (in any order that works):
- Charter in the San Juan Islands.
- Go to the Port Townsend Boat Festival in September.
- Visit Elliot Bay this summer.
- Take sailing classes and look for local racers wanting crew. In E.Wash that may be on a lake or the Columbia.
- Look for someone who wants to sell a share of their boat (even a small one) or will let you use their boat in exchange for sharing expenses.
- Go west young lady go west.

I was in your situation 7 yrs ago. Today, I've been happy for 7 years...
Old 09-05-2016, 23:18   #58

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Well I had a feeling this was another rebound. No post from the OP in almost 2 weeks.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 23:25   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Well I had a feeling this was another rebound. No post from the OP in almost 2 weeks.
Perhaps they met that special someone with a boat?
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 23:28   #60

I'm still around. Loving all the support and advice! This will be a long road as I'm still trying to get on my feet after going through the break up and saving money to start following my dream. Also, I was hit by a car while walking in a crosswalk about 6 months ago. I broke my knee and long story short, now I have to wait for all the legal stuff and insurance to play out. My knee is mostly healed up but I'm still working on getting back full strength. I just need to play things by ear for a bit. When I first posted, I was looking for exactly what all of you gave me - encouragement and a bit of a kick in the pants. Much needed in the face of a sea of less enthuaiastic reactions from others. Not that approval is necessary in any way, just nice to have support from like minded folks!
Finns is offline   Reply With Quote