Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2012, 15:02   #1

Strictly Sail Pacific

Anyone going to Oakland for the Strictly Sail Pacific Boat Show? It would be fun to meet some of you.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 17:58   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Strictly Sail Pacific

I will be there on Sunday, and VALIS is on display all week as one of the Pacific Cup's "Race-Ready" boats (slips #68 and #69). In truth, she still needs some repair and maintenance before we head off to Hawaii this July, but please come aboard and look around. VALIS is once again the communications boat for the race (as well as being a racer).

Hope to see you there,
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 18:04   #3

Been There, Done That = Yesterday

Pretty good crowd & activity for 1st day with mixed weather

Enjoy
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 20:07   #4

We came up Thursday night late so missed Chuteman (today was cold & rain on/off too) and are leaving Sunday morning so will miss you too Paul. I will check out Valis- it's great you are part of it. It would be fun to do that.

It's better than last year (tents gone- inside buildings this year). I went to Jimmy Cornell's seminars & loved it. Lots of vendors & boats to drool over too. Tonight is the Latitude & Attitude party. Something for everyone.

Hope you all had/ will have fun!
Old 13-04-2012, 21:10   #5

Sailor g - You got much tougher weather today than yesterday - at least for most of the time I was there - it was dry, bright & sunny when I toured the docks/boats....the winds, clouds & sprinkles picked up after I left. The weekend forecast is MUCH better

Setup - Yes, it has changed once again but by using a 2 floor enclosed space it allows much more under one roof......supplemented by the a smaller group
of vendors outside. Also seemed they had a full compliment of seminars (fee & free). Overall, very good although some of the lights were slow to come on Thurs & the escalator was out of service while I was inside but there were multiple ways to access.

Docks - still plenty of boats & activity to keep just about everybody interested.
The biggest fleet of Cats (for those who like to drool big & wide) I've ever seen at this show reflecting the market trend of the last 5+ years.

Much better than the Chicago (just happened to be in town) Show which I visited this year. Seattle still has an amazing convention hall space for all the vendors yet the in-water is separated but still a very good show.

Enjoy the weekend weather for those headed to the Pacific show.
Old 13-04-2012, 21:30   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
Anyone going to Oakland for the Strictly Sail Pacific Boat Show? It would be fun to meet some of you.
I was there today. Sat in on Jimmy Cornell's seminar and bought his pilot Chart atlas. He even signed it. The wind was blowing there today.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 13:06   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor
I was there today. Sat in on Jimmy Cornell's seminar and bought his pilot Chart atlas. He even signed it. The wind was blowing there today.
I was there as well. Who knows, I may have sat next to you.  His pilot charts are really great. It has been windy and even though it is sunny today (Saturday), it still feels cold but at least not wet.
Old 14-04-2012, 13:10   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Oh...You can't miss me...I'm the good looking guy...he he he
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 16:38   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
It has been windy and even though it is sunny today (Saturday), it still feels cold but at least not wet.
Aw c'mon - Today is a perfect 10 April NorCal day.......cool am, bright & sunny, perfect blue skies, light wind........it's all about layers
Especially when compared to this last week which had thunder & lightening display light 4th of July......most associated with east coast
Don't worry, global warming is a myth:roll eyes:

Was out cycling this am.....wonderful

Oh yeah, in case some Cat lovers are not sure the show has anything for them, I'll expand my comment above
Seawind, Leopard, Gemini (thought I walked by one), Antares 44i(don't remember seeing but I was not looking) Lagoon 400 & 450 (which is hard to ignore given it's size)..........
Plenty of monohulls too .....something for everyone.....
Strictly Sail Pacific

Enjoy the Sunshine & DRY weather
Old 14-04-2012, 18:10   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Strictly Sail and Power.

I see the show name committee has a sense of humor.

Or is it if not for exclusivity, the snotty yachties might not go?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 21:54   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Strictly Sail and Power.

I see the show name committee has a sense of humor.

Or is it if not for exclusivity, the snotty yachties might not go?
Yup, gotta keep out the riffraff = kayakers, row boaters, Stand up Surf board rowers et al
Old 14-04-2012, 22:58   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuteman

Aw c'mon - Today is a perfect 10 April NorCal day.......cool am, bright & sunny, perfect blue skies, light wind........it's all about layers
Especially when compared to this last week which had thunder & lightening display light 4th of July......most associated with east coast
Don't worry, global warming is a myth:roll eyes:

Was out cycling this am.....wonderful

Oh yeah, in case some Cat lovers are not sure the show has anything for them, I'll expand my comment above
Seawind, Leopard, Gemini (thought I walked by one), Antares 44i(don't remember seeing but I was not looking) Lagoon 400 & 450 (which is hard to ignore given it's size)..........
Plenty of monohulls too .....something for everyone.....
Strictly Sail Pacific

Enjoy the Sunshine & DRY weather
It really was beautiful today. Gotta admit the lightning on Friday was amazing though. We saw the brilliant flashes that hit the airport. I love wild weather.

I don't know much about cats but the PDQ is pretty cool. For only $600,000. Lots of new & used monohulls. Big trawlers & small power boats. All fun to look at even though I wouldn't trade my boat for anything. Well, maybe 
Old 14-04-2012, 23:04   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott
I will be there on Sunday, and VALIS is on display all week as one of the Pacific Cup's "Race-Ready" boats (slips #68 and #69). In truth, she still needs some repair and maintenance before we head off to Hawaii this July, but please come aboard and look around. VALIS is once again the communications boat for the race (as well as being a racer).

Hope to see you there,
Saw Valis today. Great boat. It would be so great to sail to Hawaii. I will be watching the Pacific Cup to keep track on you guys. How exciting! Gloria
Old 14-04-2012, 23:20   #14

I was there today, and want to make it clear that if Sabre want to give me one of their 426s, I would be willing to accept one.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 08:22   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF
I was there today, and want to make it clear that if Sabre want to give me one of their 426s, I would be willing to accept one.
I will put in for one  too in case they have extra they don't want the trouble of returning to the brokerage.