Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2017, 08:30   #1

Boat: Morgan 382
Storing Dink on deck

I carry my dink on the fore deck inverted. I'm looking for suggestions on how to easily turn it upside down after hoisting it out of the water with a halyard and bridle. Manually flipping it over is a real pain.

Thanks in advance.
mud bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:32   #2

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.
Re: Storing Dink on deck

I just tied to the front with a 2 point bridle so it lifts verticle. Once over the rail you can flip it any way you like....also helps if there is any water in it.
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:38   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Lift it up using a halyard connected to a DIY spreader bar for lifting. Meaning a bridle going from the halyard's shackle to both ends of the spreader bar. Which you can make the spreader bar by using the spin pole, with the bridle connected to it. And then add a line going down from each end of the spin pole, to lifting eyes on the bow & stern of the dink.
So that once you've swung the pole & dink over the deck, it's a simple matter to then invert the dink while it's hanging from the pole.

NOTE: The pole Is Not connected to the mast for this evolution. It's simply a bit of kit that you already have on hand that'll work as an ad hoc spreader bar. But in a pinch a long oar works too.

Another option is to lift the dink up high enough by it's bow eye so that it's in a vertical orientation as it comes over your lifelines. And you then control it's ass end such that as you ease off the halyard, it's in the proper spot on deck, with it's keel facing the sky as it comes to rest.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 21:05   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Another option is to lift the dink up high enough by it's bow eye so that it's in a vertical orientation as it comes over your lifelines. And you then control it's ass end such that as you ease off the halyard, it's in the proper spot on deck, with it's keel facing the sky as it comes to rest.
Yup...that what I did with my Livingston. A little different technique however. Between the two stantions adjacent the mast, I covered the lifelines with 1/2" PVC pipe and made some delrin bearing s for them, so the pipe would spin. The Livingston was so buoyant, it would never take on water, pulling it up by the bow eye. I would wind it up on the main halyard. It might touch the toe-rail on the way but no pressure. Then the pipe roller would help it up and at some point I could virtually assist it over the life lines to prevent it hitting the mast. At that point I could spin it and release the halyard coaxing it into the chocks. I did all this as a single hander or with less than useful crew onboard. The rollers were especially useful for launching.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:38   #5

Boat: Outbound 46

A lot of these tips work great when the wind is light. When it's howling at 25 or 30 knots, good luck! Or even worse, when there's a big swell and you're rolling +/- 30 degrees. We try to keep the tender in whatever orientation minimizes the windage, and then just use muscle power to flip it into the proper position.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 15:24   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
_
This is the method that we have used for years. Simple, easy to accomplish (I can do it solo if required, easier with two peeps), fast and requiring no setup with extraneous gear. Hoist by the painter until the tube tips clear the lifelines, swing inboard, lower until tips are just clear of the deck, pull into position, lower slowly. We deflate ours (3.5 m RiB), so when it reaches around 45 degrees, I step under it and open the valves, then use our electric inflater to suck out the remnants of air. Lower the rest of the way to the deck and lash down. Coil painter, stow under the dink. All done!

Jim
Old 03-05-2017, 16:40   #7

Boat: Seafarer36c

We also lift our rib by the bow eye using the spin halyard, down to a block at a lifeline stanchion and then up to the windlass. The only thing that takes getting used to is how the hull often bangs into the mast when it comes over the lifelines.
As to the lashing, Brian Toss mentions the" Houdini" lashing as the way to go. We use a made up Spectra bridle with snap shackles and pad eyes etc.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 17:39   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

I have seen it done in a funny but actually 100% effective way:

The guy lifted the dinghy by the bow, then clipped the stern on the lifeline and then lowered the dinghy, across the deck, inverse.

When I watched him the first time, I laughed. But then I saw him do this every evening and it was 5 minute one man job. Quite awesome.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 18:27   #9

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

I haul the dink up by the bow with a halyard. I put a second painter to the mother ship's bow to control the swing. Lower away upside down on the foredeck.
One man job, quick and easy.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 20:13   #10

Boat: Aloha 34

We have ropes tied onto both the transom and bow of the dinghy in such a way that you can lift the dinghy out of the water on its side (or level, depending on how you clip to it, which is useful since we dont have davits, and while at anchor often leave the dinghy suspended from the halyard beside the boat with the motor still attached, rather than actually put it on deck.)

Then it just takes a nudge to get it to go from its side to upside down. Alot like lifting only from the bow, except if you lift it on its side you don't have to hoist it so high to get it to clear the lifelines.
redpointist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:13   #11

Boat: Montevideo 43

Like Tkeeth, I hoist vertical. I have made two stainless rail on the foredeck. Now it slides easily when stowing.Put strop through spinny pole and hoist via pole uphaul. Easy Peasy japanesy.
Jannie Radiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:18   #12

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Could you guys be kind enough to help me with "Part II" of this question, here --> http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...es-184261.html

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:22   #13

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I hoist my RIB with jib halyard extension to the interior bow eye. Once over the rail she hangs at the mast. Lower to stern touching the deck, rotate to inside faces mast. Run line under transom to stern lifting eye and pull while slacking halyard. If solo; tension stern line, ease halyard a foot or two then tension stern line, repeating as necessary. When stern in the desired position, slack the halyard then the stern line. Secure halyard extension to base of mast, stern line to eye on the bow leaving dinghy secured fore and aft. Sounds a lot more complicated then it is but I generally leave her in the davits unless expecting unavoidable heavy seas.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:03   #14

Boat: Nordhavn 47

We use a hard dinghy (10ft) and put a three point bridle on it. One point to the towing eye on the bow and two to the transom on each corner. We lift it with the spinnaker halyard and sit it down on its bottom and then take off one of the back straps and then lift it again. It naturally turns sideways and all I have to is then let it back down slightly until it has a little weight on the side and push it over while letting out the rest. It falls naturally in place.

It took a while to get the bridle arm lengths just right so that the right point is hitting the deck to make the turn easy but once you get it right you can do it easily. Also you just need to tie the front end off so it doesn't swing back (No one needs to manhandle it from the front) so you could do it yourself if needed. The bridle is also what we suspend it by at night against the lifelines to keep it out of the water.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck