Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2015, 12:21   #31

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Sailor Writing a Book Needs Info

Having spent a few years on the Briney, the most harrowing thing I can recall is about 30 miles off the west coast, Oregon, I think, 2:00am in the morning in light fog and seeing a course of bubbles and foam approaching at great speed from my port side(I was headed north). I breathlessly awaited the crash from a collision I could not avoid only to realize just after the moment of impact it was a dolphin screwing with me!
This was followed by a series of lights just above the water, I would guess 10-12 miles to starboard traveling north like me. Oh, great, I thought... First unidentied torpedoes and now alien space ships! As we continued on, the lights became more elongated and seemed to be coming closer. As I changed my course slightly to port, the lights seem to over take me and within about 10 minutes passed across my bow and I could make out the outline of a large passenger ship, probably headed up for an Alaska cruise. Calls on 16 were not answered. All of this occurred within 1/2 hour and I was spooked until dawn!
There are many things out there with a plausible explanation but at the time can really shake you up! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 13:37   #32

Stumble and Pelagic, you are correct. But the girls just disappear. He knows the general area of where they are and he is supposed to be heading in their direction.

I think that I might just change it and have him on his way down to the islands when he finds out about the engine problems. That should provide a decent amount of delay as he has to arrive, get on board his boat, and then begin to get worried because he hasn't heard from them. That should provide sufficient delay.
mossgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 13:53   #33

OK, Daniell, I'll take a leap of faith and send it to you (gulp!). As I stated before, it's not brilliant, but it should be fun. And remember that I'm writing this for a general audience that doesn't know how to sail, so I've had to dilute the sailing terms and maneuvers. And the sailors on this site are very technical! They would probably be arguing over every step!

Also, I am writing about my only experience in off-shore sailing. I learned to sail when I lived in Texas and we never had self steering, etc. When I crossed the Gulf Stream with my friends, I think that I remember having the sails up to operate the steering mechanism, but I'm not sure. So there's a lot to critique/correct. Let me know where I should send the book and I'll send it on.

I think that I mentioned previously that I had written a large book and then, at the advice of my editor, chopped off the end to create the first book. She is very astute and she is probably correct, because I start the first book with a regatta and a lot of sailing jargon and maneuvers. Her advice is to hook the readers without slogging through a lot of sailboat racing that they probably wouldn't understand.

Thanks for your offer and I hope that you enjoy it,
Nikki
mossgate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail