Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2012, 12:47   #1

Boat: Hunter 33 4
Sailing down to NYC

I was planning on sailing up the East River to the Long Island Sound and discovered that Rikers Island Bridge has a 52' clearance. My Hunter 336 needs 56' clearance. It looks like I have to have the mast unstepped from Oswego, down the Hudson and through the East River.

I am looking then to step the mast as early as possible when I enter the Long Island sound. Has anyone had this issue, and any ideas as to a Marina that could handle this?
Chenonceau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 12:55   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Sailing down to NYC

What bridge? Don't remember this from the couple of trips I took to Newport. Just sail north of Rikers Island.

Step your mast at Riverview Marina in Catskill. Mike, the owner, is very helpful to cruisers.
Old 31-07-2012, 13:12   #3

Rikers Island Bridge is on the south side of Rikers... Keep north and you'll have no problem...
SunKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 14:12   #4

Boat: Hunter 33 4

Thanks, I used a site that describes all the bridges on the East River. I panicked when I saw the clearance. I looked closer at a map I have and noticed that I can go around Rikers Island to the North between Brothers Island and Rikers. Thanks for your feedback, and the tip on River View.

My trip will start in Sodus Bay, go to Oswego and down the Oswego Canal to the Erie Canal, then to the Hudson, around the Battery and up through the East River to the Long Island Sound, and finally around Orient point to Greenport. Which legs have you done? I am beginning to estimate distance, hours, and days. Any information or resources you can point me to will help.
Chenonceau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 14:15   #5

Boat: contessa 32

doesn't your boat have a modern bendy mast?
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 16:32   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenonceau View Post
Thanks, I used a site that describes all the bridges on the East River. I panicked when I saw the clearance. I looked closer at a map I have and noticed that I can go around Rikers Island to the North between Brothers Island and Rikers. Thanks for your feedback, and the tip on River View.

My trip will start in Sodus Bay, go to Oswego and down the Oswego Canal to the Erie Canal, then to the Hudson, around the Battery and up through the East River to the Long Island Sound, and finally around Orient point to Greenport. Which legs have you done? I am beginning to estimate distance, hours, and days. Any information or resources you can point me to will help.
I used to unstep my mast at Oswego. Their prices have gone up a lot in the last few years so some cruisers unstep at Sodus and, if it's a nice quiet day, make the run to Oswego.

The canal should be taken at a leisurely pace. It's a nice motor with good, free places to tie up in the evenings. Five days will be plenty of time to get to the Hudson. Step the mast at catskill and three easy days you'll be in NY harbour. I anchor along the Hudson, usually on the west side as the squalls usually come from that direction. It's been quite a while since I went to Newport last so I don't remember how long I took in the East River and LIS.

The tidal current is strong in the Hudson all the way up to Troy Lock but I used to just get up and go rather than wait for a fair current. If it's against you it can be a bit slow around West Point. just bear with it and enjoy the trip.
Old 14-08-2012, 13:30   #7

Boat: Swan 391

We stepped our mast at Hop-O-Nose in Catskill heading south. They knew what they were doing, and are well sheltered. Of our stops along the Hudson, we most enjoyed our visit at the Poughkipsee (sp?) Yacht Club. Play the currents if you can; it sure was nice passing through West Point at 8 knots...
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nyc, sailing