Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2015, 18:02   #91

Boat: Cape Dory 33
Re: Out cruising-may need surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
What a great name, Shrew! I was referring to the IRS as the collection agency for the Obamacare fines for not signing up, not all health care bills. I take it the OP has been out of country for a while and did not sign up for Obamacare therefore is liable for a fine.
The OP is on Medicare and therefore would not need to sign up for Obamacare.
Old 17-12-2015, 18:40   #92

Boat: Morgan, Out Island 36, Ketch

Someone mentioned the Coast Guard again, so I must add my two cents,,, The CG will only evacuate the sick or injured person within the limits of what they can do... The CG does not normally have Drs. on their ships, if they have access to a Heliocopter they will transport the patient to the nearest shore facility, or Hospital (within range) for further transport to the Medical Center that can deal with the problem. If the victim must be transported to another facility they may or may-not transport the person further, depending on the medical needs of the patient and what they can provide... You can expect similar treatment from Canada and most European Countries, along with Australia and New Zealand and . I cannot say what to expect from South or Central American Countries, So Good LUCK in your travels.
Olde Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 19:41   #93

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

I cant comment for Gautemala, but I lived in Costa Rica for 6 years and there is excellent private medicine available there.

Hospital Cima in San Jose.

I have personal experience there and wouldn't hesitate to recommend. Very reasonable priced. The Urologist I see there is US trained and assoicated with the Mayo clinic.

LD
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 02:44   #94

I don't see how Obama care "ACA" relates to a person who has been on Medicare.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 04:40   #95

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I just got on medicare and I am going to trust Guatemala's health care for the half year we live near there. It would cost another $150 per month to have a medicare policy add on that would cover foreign travel. It's not worth it, I can fly home for brain surgery.
A few years ago on the Rio a cruiser need high risk neurosurgery, docs in the States refused to do it because of liability concerns. He was going to die without surgery. A neurosurgeon in Guate successfully completed the surgery.

Another benefit of not having out of control liability litigation/law.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 10:19   #96

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uliad View Post
First let me say: I am a practicing US physician. I also recently finished 5 years cruising so I understand both sides of this.

My first advice is: don't get your medical advice from forums like this. (whoops, guess that excludes me). If you are recovering from acute cholecystitis, there are good reasons to let the inflammation calm down a while before removing the gall bladder--less inflammation means less bleeding, easier for the surgeon to see what s/he is doing, fewer complications.

Second advice: As others have mentioned, you will find caring, qualified, Western Trained physicians using the latest techniques and equipment almost anywhere in the world if you look around. The US embassy is a good place to start. I would not be afraid to get it done there if I were you.

Third advice: While you are waiting around for your gall bladder to cool off, you could certainly call a general surgeon's office or two in whatever city in the US you might choose to go and use your Medicare. If they know in advance your unique situation (travelling from overseas, tests already done, want to go to you because of your stellar reputation, etc), they will be able to schedule in advance a consultation, and surgery tenatively planned for a few days later.

Well said, Uliad! Best advice so far. I spent two weeks in a Mexican Clinic in Puebla, Mexico back in the 70's. At the time, doctors needed 2 years college, 2 years medical school and 1-2 years residency for certification. My doctor was 22 years old. The conditions in the clinic were deplorable, the rooms dirty with flies on the ceiling and they didn't change the sheets or allow me to bathe for two weeks. Perhaps things are different now, but I would fly back to the States unless I was in imminent danger of dying. No bashing intended here. Just one person's experience with Latin American medical care.
Old 18-12-2015, 14:37   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Well said, Uliad! Best advice so far. I spent two weeks in a Mexican Clinic in Puebla, Mexico back in the 70's. At the time, doctors needed 2 years college, 2 years medical school and 1-2 years residency for certification. My doctor was 22 years old. The conditions in the clinic were deplorable, the rooms dirty with flies on the ceiling and they didn't change the sheets or allow me to bathe for two weeks. Perhaps things are different now, but I would fly back to the States unless I was in imminent danger of dying. No bashing intended here. Just one person's experience with Latin American medical care.
You can still find those conditions easily in Central American public hospitals, but the private pay side in most countries is excellent. My primary doc in Guatemala is a Stanford graduate in a first class medical facility...equal to anything I've encountered in the USA.
Old 18-12-2015, 14:39   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I don't see how Obama care "ACA" relates to a person who has been on Medicare.
No relationship at all...some just cant resist the opportunity to rant.

Tags
cruising