Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2011, 19:47   #421

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Jolly Roger, Pirates and Political Correctness

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares View Post
Arg,,,, I have never had a Pirate flag but I will soon get one just to poke some of these responders in the "aye"

"Aye matey...Nuke the unborn gay baby pirate whales"
You forgot "in wheelchairs waving little flags".
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 20:20   #422
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 21:35   #423
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

Some of the Flags I fly
Attached Images

Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 22:07   #424

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Someone flying the liquor be here flag on board doesn't excite me much.

It's a little tasteless and misleading though, if all they have is light beer.

But it's worth if they have good stuff on board and don't share. In that case, they have no right to fly the flag.
Old 20-10-2015, 19:50   #425

Just a little googlelove to add to the discussion:
The most famous flags flown by pirates to indicate they were such were all called the “Jolly Roger” and were adorned with a variety of artwork or often no art work at all. Most of these flags were simply black or red with nothing on them. Historical accounts indicate that, should a pirate ship raise a black flag, it indicated that so long as the ship they were attacking surrendered with no resistance, they would be given quarter. Should anyone aboard the ship resist or should the ship try to flee once the black flag was raised, the black flag would be lowered and the red flag would be raised. This flag indicated that no mercy would be shown to anyone aboard the ship that was about to be attacked.

Records of pirate ships flying flags that signified they were pirates go back just about as far as history is recorded. Of the Jolly Roger line though, the earliest reference is probably of the skull and crossbones flag used by the Knights Templar, who had the world’s biggest naval fleet in the 13 century and were well known for their pirate-like acts on the sea. When the Knights Templar dissolved, with many members forming the Knights of Malta who were equally known for their piracy, they also were known to fly the skull and crossbones.

The tradition to use the Jolly Rodger on submarines stems from 1901 when Admiral Sir Arthur Wilson VC said submarines were “underhand, unfair, and damned un-English. … treat all submarines as pirates in wartime … and hang all crews.” Upon learning of this, Lieutenant Commander Max Horton, who later became an Admiral, raised the Jolly Rodger when his submarine was returning to port after sinking the German ships SMS Hela and the destroyer SMS S-116. Thus, the tradition was born that on the completion of a successful mission, the returning submarine should fly the Jolly Roger. This eventually spread into the Jolly Roger being the official emblem of the Royal Navy Submarine Service.

Reference: Origins of the Jolly Roger
Myztyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 06:14   #426
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

The 8 most notorious pirates in history

Many of history's most famous pirates began as privateers — state-sanctioned sailors for hire who attacked their countries' enemies at sea and harassed commercial ships in designated zones. But those being plundered saw those guns for hire as pirates. Others who started out in state-sanctioned work became pirates when the lure of gold was too great, and they struck out under their own flag to illegally raid rich merchant vessels.

Some pirates were so successful that they became feared by sailors around the world. Here are eight of the most notorious pirates in history.
Blackbeard
Ching Shih
Sir Francis Drake
Black Sam Bellamy
Bartholomew Roberts
Captain Kidd
Anne Bonny and Mary Read

More about ➥ https://www.livescience.com/11389-no...s-pirates.html
With links to many more sources of interesting & informative information

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 07:03   #427
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

today the biggest pirates operate boat yards
Old Yesterday, 08:51   #428

Boat: Moody 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalCowboy View Post
This is a topic that I think the air needs to be cleared on. I have noticed an increasing proliferation of comments on this board and in various magazines about the "glamorization" of pirates. The gist of the comments I am speaking about have been statements to the effect that we should quit flying the Jolly Rodger and glamorizing the pirate mythology because of the recent uptick in instances of piracy. The people who make these comments are of the opinion that the term "pirate" is a universally bad one. I think they miss the point. There is a difference, a big one, in the piracy we now see in Somalia and elsewhere and the mythology of the "pirate" that inspires the flying of the jolly rodger. First, and I think this is an important point, I doubt that the Somalis that attack shipping fly the Jolly Rodger, wear medically unnecessary eyepatches as a fashion statement or quote Jack Sparrow for dramatic effect. WE fly the Jolly Rodger because there is no universally accepted flag of the expat. The "Pirate" that we see in ourselves is a flaunting of the conventional, not the law. We no more mean to glamorize "real" pirates than we mean to glamorize robbers by watching movies about Robin Hood. Peter Pan, by conventional standards, is an irresponsible person To those who say flying the Jolly Ridger glamorizes piracy on the high seas I say listen to Jimmy Buffett's "A Pirate Looks at 40" to understand why we do what we do. If we allow the criminals who terrorize shipping to rob us of the mythology of Jack Sparrow or Captain Blood, then arn't we allowing them to terrorize us into changing the way we act or do things. Changing the way we behave or the way we enjoy what we do would be allowing those who would use lawlessness and terror to win. Just my opinion, and I'm sure others would disagree.
“A ship isn’t a keel, a hull, a deck, and some sails. What a ship really is… is freedom”. —Captain Jack Sparrow

I will fly my jolly Rodger with pride! I grew up, in Montana, listening to JB. I read all his books, as a child. The stories and myths shaped who I am today. JB glamorized the life of a dirt bag islander with a sailboat. That is who I’ve always wanted to be. I bought my fist monohull “yacht” (MacGreagor 25) when I was 39yo. A pirate is not a very good pirate if they don’t even own a boat. When I got to the point where I was bored with saling up and down the same lake every time, I sold it all and moved aboard Star Fire, full time.

It makes sense that a bunch of independent expats can’t agree on a common flag. The yellow Q flag is the only commonality we share, and the love of freedom. I don’t think anyone would mistake a sailing yacht for a skiff full of men with AK’s. The Jolly Rodger represent a willingness to accept the responsibility that comes with this freedom.

There’s a time and a place for everything. Upon entering a new country, I’d never fly the Jolly Rodger. But in a regatta with a bunch of friends, or a boat parade, sure. Why not? Discretion is the key.

Anyone who thinks otherwise should have the stick removed from their buttocks.
Star Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:40   #429

This is my Jolly flag. Haven't had any adverse reactions associated with its raisings, but it does come down at the last call.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gin flag.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	287699  
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:42   #430

Star Fire, do you fly the Vigilante Code?

3-7-77
Old Yesterday, 11:45   #431

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Star Fire, do you fly the Vigilante Code?

3-7-77
That’s a good one! I’m actually trying to find someone to make me this one. As a bitcoiner, this one is more my style.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...1&d=1710701095
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BFA1BFCC-4329-4AC8-9A37-E72FD67E7B2B.jpeg
Views:	4
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	287701  
Old Yesterday, 12:19   #432

3-7-77 would make for a unique name for a vessel instead of traditionally using a word, it is a set of numbers with a distinct and powerful meaning.

Definitely Montanan.

Home port could be somewhere unique within Montana, e.g.,

Two Dot [a.k.a. twodot]
Roundup
Pray
Rancher
Hungry Horse
Lame Deer
Comet
Electric
Opportunity
Hog Heaven
Big Hole
Big Sky

Or perhaps simply: The Last Best Place.

Old Yesterday, 13:01   #433

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I will fly my jolly Rodger with pride!
The historical meaning of the JR flag is that "We intend to attack you with firearms, board your vessel, kill every one of you and take what we want of your possessions. No mercy will be shown to women, elders or children."

A strange philosophy to be proud of IMO.

Jim
Old Today, 02:08   #434
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
3-7-77 would make for a unique name for a vessel instead of traditionally using a word, it is a set of numbers with a distinct and powerful meaning.

Definitely Montanan.
Or, perhaps, Californian, or Coloradan.
“The Fateful Numbers 3-7-77: A Re-Examination” ~ by Rex C. Myers
Montana The Magazine of Western History, Vol. 24, No. 4 (Autumn, 1974), pp. 67-70 (4 pages)
Published By: Montana Historical Society
https://www.jstor.org/stable/4517928

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:34   #435

Quote:

Definitely Montanan.

Home port could be somewhere unique within Montana, e.g.,

Two Dot [a.k.a. twodot]
Roundup
Pray
Rancher
Hungry Horse
Lame Deer
Comet
Electric
Opportunity
Hog Heaven
Big Hole
Big Sky

Or perhaps simply: The Last Best Place.

Actually, the USCG requires the port of call to be the same as the place the vessel is registered. As soon as I get all my documentation paperwork back, I get to put Bozeman, Montana on the transom. That’s really cool, to me. I believe, that puts me under Montana law and I’ll still be a Montana resident. I’m never giving up my 406 area code!

« Pilot Fees | - »