Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 06:09   #76

Re: John Batchelor: Canadian Sailor Missing In Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackedo View Post
A sad ending.

Smooth Seas,

Capt Don
A sad ending for those who knew him. But i know a sadder ending.
I look after an old guy who sailed RTW in his yawl. Now he is stuck in his bed unable to do any thing for him self. Most dont understand why he goes off when his curtain is closed and he can not see outside. It would have been far sadder for John to end up that way. I suspect Johns one regret would have been the dog, and his happiness what you lot are trying to do for the dog.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:05   #77

Boat: 50ft mono hull. SOLD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwaiting View Post
I look after an old guy who sailed RTW in his yawl. Now he is stuck in his bed unable to do any thing for him self. Most dont understand why he goes off when his curtain is closed and he can not see outside. It would have been far sadder for John to end up that way. I suspect Johns one regret would have been the dog, and his happiness what you lot are trying to do for the dog.
I agree, if the end comes better it comes doing something you love.
Erik C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:11   #78

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik C View Post
I agree, WHEN the end comes better it comes doing something you love.
unless you know a secret youd like to share
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:28   #79

Boat: William Atkin Cutter, 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwaiting View Post
That is so so true. Sad comes to many of us mostly because we wish that John might have been able to continue in his earthly pleasures for many many more years. It has become quite apparent to me that we, as sailors, share a most powerful bond to each other and have a terrible time letting go.
orion1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:40   #80
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: John Batchelor: Canadian Sailor Missing In Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik C View Post
I agree, if the end comes better it comes doing something you love.

Ethelllllll.....!!!
Sorry guys... could not resist it...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:04   #81

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Hi Friends:

I set up a donations page for Dingo at Waterway Cruising Guide | Help Dingo Recover. (paypal only).

Or, people can send a check PAYABLE TO "WATERWAY GUIDE" to:

Help Dingo Recover Fund
c/o Waterway Guide
P.O. Box 1125
Deltaville, VA 23043

Thanks!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:52   #82

Boat: Catalina 34

Very moving thread. Wish I'd met John.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:13   #83

Boat: 50ft mono hull. SOLD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressuredrop View Post
unless you know a secret youd like to share
No, no secrets, just a personal preference.
Erik C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 17:14   #84

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Just throwing this out there, does anyone know what the requirements (legal and vetrinary) would be if someone in Florida were willing to adopt and take care of Dingo? Also is he other dog friendly? We are sort of a "Hospice" for old or sick greyhounds going on 12 years now., would love a good boat dog (greys are not good boat dogs, We have tried. I havent gotten the ok from the wife but if we couldn't there are chances we could find a home that would be able to take good care of him. Also any idea of his age?
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 18:04   #85

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos
Just throwing this out there, does anyone know what the requirements (legal and vetrinary) would be if someone in Florida were willing to adopt and take care of Dingo? Also is he other dog friendly? We are sort of a "Hospice" for old or sick greyhounds going on 12 years now., would love a good boat dog (greys are not good boat dogs, We have tried. I havent gotten the ok from the wife but if we couldn't there are chances we could find a home that would be able to take good care of him. Also any idea of his age?
Dulcesuenos, thanks for what you do for the greyt dogs. We did the same for about a decade. If I understood Waterway Guide correctly I think Dingo has a home but I wanted to thank you. You can really see the greyhound in Dingo in the head and ears. I just want to help get him home in hopes should something ever happen to me, someone would help my dog in my absence. Call it paying it forward if you will.

I didn't know John at all but I am pretty sure based on what I read here I would have enjoyed meeting him.

Give a hound or two a hug for me. SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:22   #86

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft

John was an interesting fellow to be certain. The first time I met, I introduced myself and welcomed his to the neighourhood. ( it was a winter he was staying here). He said hello and "Oh I had wife with your name once when I was in Australia. It did'nt work out. " I thought that was an odd greeting at the time. It was however just John.
He was not happy here in the cold, but his character was transformed when he was sailing and when he was in the Bahama's. He loved it there.
He would announce himself to us with a honk of his distinctive *horn* and of course Dingo on deck barking an enthusiastic greeting. Let us know where he was anchoring . Voila the visits would begin again, we could catch up on news , share some food and watch Dingo roam our decks and generally make himself at home.
He told me that a house ashore ( at least one you owned) meant you were free to follow the rules. He was free aboard his Joy B sailing and travelling.
He was or could be a bit of crusty guy, as I got to know him I became quite attached to him and dingo, looking forward to his emails and especially to his visits, with spirited provocative conversations.
He went out as a free cruiser, which is how he thought of himself. What an intersting life he had, teaching at university, flying planes, building boats with PDQ and sailing , making 17 trips to the Bahamas.
Witchcraft
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:27   #87

Just to be clear, I have not yet heard about a firm plan to adopt Dingo. There was some interest from their friends in Ontario, but the transport costs may be prohibitive. I think he'd be a perfect fit for any cruiser. I'll ask my other contacts to see if anyone knows his age, or at least when he started to cruise with John. Clearly he has been a cruising dog most, if not all, of his life. I love the fact that he pees and poops over the toe rail into the water...I've never heard of a dog doing that before. (I've seen plenty of captains dinghying their canine crew a couple times a day to shore for "relief.")
We won't want to place him until he's stronger, but thanks for the offer and we'll try to find out the age and whether he plays well with other dogs.
Old 03-02-2012, 15:43   #88

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft

We may have transport for Dingo home to his friends. The transport will not be available for a month or more. May being the operative word. He is too weak to travel at the moment. He would do his business aboard when he had to, but much preferred a trip ashore. He likes wide side decks, children and listened well to John and to those he considered his friends.
One time we were in Virginia, John was ahead of us on a wall. As soon as I popped out with my coffee, Dingo came over and hopped aboard. John called him, he looked up and laid back down. lol I had to send him home, so John would not worry. I never knew him to be aggresive towards other creatures, but he did protect his people.
Witchcraft
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 15:46   #89

Great to hear. I'll let you know how the fundraising goes...maybe there will be some extra to help with transport.
Old 03-02-2012, 16:10   #90

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Good news! We have a cat with fairly wide decks so he'd like it lol. Wife said if she saw pics of him going over the side it would be a done deal lol. But if he is going home to those he knows all the better!
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, bahamas