Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2016, 10:53   #31

Boat: Tartan 30
Re: How Would You Describe Your Boat?

Sort of looks like this right now, but when the mask comes off....A Beauty!

Oldlaxer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:54   #32

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado View Post
Hi All,

I am in the middle of packing for a three week trip to Florida to work on my boat, and thinking of the projects that I need to accomplish on this trip. As I was reviewing some pictures I realized that I can't help admiring her, even after all these years. It's like owning a beautiful classic car and after parking her and walking away, you can't help but turn around to look back and admire.

Do you have similar feelings about your boat? I wish I had a way of describing Solace to people. I mostly like the shape of the hull, the way that the compound radius forms the beam. To me it's like looking at a classic Aston Martin and admiring the lines.

One of my favorite movies is Master and Commander. One of my favorite lines is when Captain Aubrey is describing the Surprise and says "Surprise is not old; no one would call her old. She has a bluff bow, lovely lines. She's a fine seabird: weatherly, stiff and fast... very fast, if she's well handled. No, she's not old; she's in her prime".

How do you describe your boat? I can't believe that I am the only one that thinks about this?

Jeff
This is the type of question/comment that make this forum really worthwhile...

Fast, powerful, sleek, rugged, weatherly, seakindly, easy motion, forgiving yet requires a firm hand, exquisitely beautiful, graceful...these are just words that convey some meaning, but cannot express the deep feelings I have for my boat. I've done many things in my life, but nothing even comes close to the sense of completeness that I have when sailing on my own boat...just me, my dog and my boat. I believe that a boat possesses some sort of spirituality that cannot be explained, can only be felt. The shape of the hull, the rake of the masts, the counter stern, the underwater shape, the flat run, the easy entry, the shape of the rudder, all parts of the whole. The sense of proportion, from a distance or up close, to my eye absolute perfection. But the sense of oneness that I feel with the old girl is what is the most satisfying...I think of all the places that we have been and will visit in the future, all the miles under the keel, the way we move silently through the water leaving no trace of our passing...the sound of rain on the deck in a snug little cove, wood crackling in the galley range, the smell of stew simmering, the color of the teak joinery, the cream color of the overhead, the stout whiteness of the main mast [sorry but I don't care for a varnished mast].

How would I describe my boat? I don't think I can...it's too personal.
But I really appreciate knowing that there are kindred spirits out there in the world. Who else would understand?
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:27   #33

Boat: Catalina 22

I don't care if she's 20' or 80'. You look at the pictures from the last trip, marvel at the grace and the beautiful lines from bow to stern. Look at the smiles from friends and family onboard. And that is what gets you through a cold winter till you see her again...
T_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:33   #34
smo

1992 corsair f24 mark 1 trimaran.
Makani Kamahele is sleeker and faster than I have been able to sail her so far. On the home page of my smart phone is a photo of her with her previous owner on a screaming beat with all hands gathered on the weather ama.
Someday I hope to have her repeating this feat.
smo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:38   #35

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

My wife and I were discussing this very subject on a short passage a few weeks ago. She noted that traditionally, boats are seen as women, having an archetypal feminine gestalt. She asked me if I saw our boat as a hot young temptress, or perhaps as a refined lady demanding to be taken care of. I replied that, no, our boat was a broad-shouldered partner, with the strength and beauty of a teutonic woman -- good looking but not the star of an Italian runway; a woman who took seriously her job of caring for us, who took seriously everything, efficiently and competently carrying out her responsibilities; whose range of emotion was evident only if you were attuned to her subtleties. My wife agreed.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:51   #36

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Like Katherine Hepburn. Beautiful at any age. Great bones and acts like it's all easy. More strength of character as time goes on.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:02   #37

Boat: Cape Dory 33

She's "the one."
Old 12-02-2016, 14:05   #38

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

A mesmerizing bitch

Solid machinery I got knowing on my palm

A compelling spiritual experience.

All at a time

Over time, she will be the living museum of my Life
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 14:07   #39

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado View Post
...you can't help but turn around to look back and admire.
In the winter, I would go down to see my boat, frozen, on the hard. I would just stare at her, thinking about all the great adventures we had together, and thinking of the new ones, yet to come.

In the summer, I would stay on my boat long after getting back to the dock. It was hard to leave. I just felt so...at home...on my boat. Especially with a tank full of fuel, and the pantry full of food...like I could go anywhere.

So yes, I do that too.

And then I sold my boat. And I'm feeling a little lost.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 14:52   #40

Who would have thunk? Always looked at our Tub as a means to get from point A to point B. Ah, the advantage of having an ugly boat.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 15:02   #41

Boat: Vancouver 28

Just home from seeing mine for the first time in person after a professional paint job, so right now I'd describe her as 'stunning'. But once she's back in the water next week and I get her back into commission she'll be my comfortable home from home and bolt hole, just better looking. Wish I could get better looking with age!

Great thread, glad there are plenty of other folk out there as besotted as I am.
Trumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 16:15   #42

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
Sometimes imaginary boats are better than real ones, at least they don't cost as much in maintenance!������
I failed to describe my boat earlier.

Old, Classic and excellent!
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 18:42   #43

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Who would have thunk? Always looked at our Tub as a means to get from point A to point B. Ah, the advantage of having an ugly boat.
Ha! You can't fool me you old sawbones...you love your boat...admit it. "point A to point B"...yeah, right.
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 03:00   #44

Boat: Caprice 19'

Little Madam is "small" like swmbo - her namesake.
nockerwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 04:11   #45

Boat: 1979 Watkins 27

A good old boat in need of a few minor repairs but she sails me across the water just fine.
chadc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib